Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: The "upcoming" war.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

8O Seeing as we are scattered accross the globe I was just wondering what every one thought about the "upcoming" :cry: war. What should be done about Sadam? :? Should the U.S go it alone? What should be the reactions of the UN? What is France's stand on this? :? What about Russia & Germany? Now I don't wnant to sound like Mommy, but PLEASE :roll: let's not get racist etc... Also let's not get in a huge fight over this and no jokes :lol: about any countries please! I also want to remind everyone to keep an open mind :idea: and to remember who the "Bad Guys" :evil: are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:45 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I aggree with that and i want everyone to think about the poor little kids we'd kill with the big ugly bombs! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:08 pm 

When we go into the details of any political situation, we easily get lost or angry or frustrated or all of the above.

But the general picture looks as follows:

When the USA announced the global war on terrorism, it united all the countries against the "bad" guys. Obviously no one appreciates terrorists, Arab world included.

When the USA announced the war on Iraq, it separated the countries. A very bad symptom. Teaching someone democracy by bombs seems like a non-sequitur to many.

Coclusion: It did more bad than good so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:18 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

my opinion is as reads: I am not saying "ok let's start a war and kick butt" but, I'm also not saying "Bush says let's go we say hell no." I know that we're in a bad position right now and it does more good than bad - in some things - to supportive of your country. I also feel thta in the end we MAY save more lives by disarming Iraq. I also think that if we suddenly take all preasure off of Iraq they will in turn put a bomb in the middle of our countries. We must keep in mind that Saddam has had more than enough time to disarm and if that was what he was planning to do he would have done so already. By standing by and giving him time we are simply helping him to build up his forces and tuck away his weapons. If we act now we may prevent anymore terrorism. Like they say "Strike while the iron is hot."

My thoughts, my words, my crimes forgive
And since I soon must cease to live
Instruct me how to die.~Lord Byron
Rogue insomniac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:44 pm 

We may find as many reasonable arguments for the war as against the war.

Obvioulsy wars are a good political game, but in reality innocent people die. There is no excuse for murdering one single child, even if you think that you are saving the whole world from destruction. Who needs such world and who needs such "peace"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:41 am 

You might find this essay an interesting read:

The vocation to a mission that concerns justice, peace and respect has a powerful enemy in the “reality” of the social and economic conditions within which whole peoples become disposable. Such a vocation is further debilitated when faithful people can not extend the mission of respect to include respect for the religious dignity of human beings. For all our ecumenical and interfaith dialogues, the notion persists that heretics and other religions have no rights, or more widely wrong- headed people (in or out of the church) have no rights to be here.
In the larger context of a global economy and the urbanization of the world’s peoples, heartlessness is the special habit of the haves. We are quite aware of the categorizing of humans into units of consumption or production. We are less easily aware of the millions who are effectively considered waste - people who are collateral damage of the world economic machine, or worse, are deliberately put beyond the range of needed assistance so that the world economy can use their labor without reference to their needs. Such a world ‘gaze’ does not even need to identify the have-nots with evil; rather it is silent about their character. It is precisely this removal from gaze that makes this global “realism” so demonic.

~The Politics of Loving Kindness in a Heartless World:
Working for the good beyond the boundaries of contention.
By The Rev. Canon Mark Harris
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/j003.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:48 pm 

I am not sure if I understood the above passage correctly. It seems to me that what is good for one, is not good for the other. Thus, democracy may not be the Arabian dream, really. The following statement could be successfully applied by either side of this Iraq adventure.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
-Euripides-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:20 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The upcoming war? Since I voted for Bush then I feel that I must support his decisions. When I was growing up one could turn on the television in the evening and get a body count of the most recent battles of the Viet Nam War. The country was livid with war protesters, civil rights movements, Rock-n-Roll and widespread drug use. At the time I was breaking in my first BB gun, learning to fish with a rod & reel and working on merit badges with the Boy Scouts. The local economy was thriving due to the production of bombs and bullets at the Milan Arsenal. Back in the 60's kids didn't just drive cars, they raced them on the highways. Honda motorcycles were so popular that our local dealer made the claim to be The World's Largest Honda Dealer. The deaths due to automobile and motorcycle accidents among teenaged men exceeded the fatalities of American soldiers killed in Viet Nam. While our soldiers were getting waxed for the glory of Democracy in our fight against communism, our homeboys were getting maimed by car crashes or overdosing from drug use. Being raised in a rural area, I managed to slip through the crack between the two conflicts

When the Viet Nam War ended the Milan Arsenal cut back and unemployment became one of the contributing problems of the National economy. During the 70's gasoline prices went sky high. Nixon being a stand up kind of guy proclaimed that the country was undergoing an "energy crisis" so he cut the speed limit down to 55 miles per hour. At the moment I was more concerned about making the football team or shooting my first deer. Less than six months before I became eligible for the draft, President Gerald Ford had the bright idea to day away with the draft. Since I didn't even have to register for the draft you might say that I "dodged the bullet."

My Dad joined the U.S. Navy at the age of 16 to fight for world peace during WWII. After basic training he was assigned to a CB Unit (Construction Battalion) and shipped to the Philippines to build air strips. He said that the Japs would fly in to bomb the newly constructed airstrips. He managed to survive the war then returned home to attend college. He then attended law school and succeeded in passing the bar exam on his first effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:31 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Being in a war seems to run in the family: Grandpa was a Fighter Pilot Dad is a Nam Vet. I just wonder what my brothers are going to get themselves into. Being a Chick I don't have the obligation to go to war but I sometimes think that's worse I have to sit home and wait for the names of loved ones on the T.V I think it's worse to not be able to do any thing but that's just my point of view. I just hope the guy I voted for does the right thing for us all.

Rogue insomniac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:08 pm 

No I don't agree with this current invasion of Iraq. Spend billions, if not trillions of dollars to oust ONE man? Noble idea, if they actually `got' him, then surely his regime would topple.

But, did they get Osama Bin Laden?

Look at all the collateral damage. Look at all the civilian casualties. Look at all the blue on blue deaths. Look at all the destruction of infrastructure in Bagdhad alone.

The premise at the beginning was that Hussein was concealing Weapons of Mass Destruction.

They haven't found any yet, except for some `white powder' and atrophine, and a supposed 100 acre defunct chemical factory and a few other hints at alleged dodgy activity. Uhm, yeah.

So, unfortunately, Americans will pay for this war for many years to come. The war has polarised people, people screaming treason and traitors to anyone who criticises the Bush admin.

And, unfortunately, Canada will pay for our non-participation in this war in future with dealings with the U.S as well.

Tis sad indeed. . :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:25 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Right now I believe that the war is just. Not for the reasons that the country is fighting for but for the people. We Americans every day enjoi the benefits and freedoms of our democracy, and we take them for granted. But when we look at the Iraqi's they cannot say the same thing. They are continually killed for their thoughts and actions, they cannot do the same things that we do because if they do them their friends family and their life will be taken away. They must live every day in fear of living the wrong way. They are shot and gassed in numbers. Men women and children are killed every day for the sake of "striking fear in the eyes of rebels". And yet we do as we please, we go about our day saying what we want, doing what we want, living as we want with no further thought as to how others accross the world live. These people have suffered day after day with no hope in sight. Their time has come to enjoi the freedoms of life. As we ourselves say "We hold these truths to be slef confident that all men are created equal." If all men are created equal then why is it that we should enjoi things like freedom that others can't? Why should we sit here in our nice warm beds and not do anything to help these poor people that have no power to free themselves? We must do something because if we don't then we cannot say "...all men are created equal." We would be saying "Yes, it is true that all men are created equal, but we deserve better than they."

Rogue insomniac