Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: As the Snow Blows
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:54 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Greetings from Camp Juniper. The land here was blessed with about 2 inches of powdery snow on January 16th, 03. School was dismissed so I had two teenagers to keep me company. :roll: School was also dismissed on Friday, 1-17-03. Monday is a holiday so the kids are experiencing a 5-day weekend. I have been holed up here (as confined to the house) for two weeks. Last Friday, 1-17-03, I took a jeep ride to the nearest town to buy some medicine and eat out. We went to Long John Silvers and had a seafood platter. The ride did me good but I was exhausted when I returned home. I have passed my days by reading and watching movies on satelite TV. I also took up painting by numbers. (It is one fine mess.) My son had bought me a model car so I am also building a 1967 Dodge Charger.

My recovery has been progressive and I have grauduated from a walker to a straight cane. I should be hiking in March. It is nice to experience the luxury of being off from work but I am beginning to get restless. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:08 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

TO THE HUNTER
whose heart hungers
for the sight of a bounding buck, the
first snowfall to cover the sere wood-
land floor, or the somberness of a
November woods.

WHITETAIL
Fundamentals and Fine Points
for the Hunter

--George Mattis

Just a week ago I had my daugther to broadcast ten pounds of mixed birdseed in our back yard. We now have birds of different feathers feeding delightfully in harmony here at Juniper Manor. There are cardinals, bluejays, sparrows, mockingbirds and a variety of other songbirds feasting on the seeds of contentment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Our friendly neighborhood weatherman is prediciting another snow fall for Thursday, February 6th. I am well enough to return to work provided I can remain in the office and stay out of the field for about another week or so. My recovery should be full in another 5 weeks.

The winter of 2003 has been a peaceful period of rest. (The winter is now half over.) I am reminded of a statement that Herman Hesse made in one of his novels (Peter Camezind) but I can't recall the exact wording. In essence he said that a protracted period of rest is very benifical, especially when it is compulsory.

Oh! the snow, the beautiful snow,
Filling the sky and the earth below;

--J.W. Watson, Beautiful Snow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:11 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas here at Camp Juniper. There is about 2 inches of "fluff" on the ground and the snow is still blowing. :D The teenagers as sleeping peacfully late and I am enjoying my third cup of coffee. If it keeps on snowing then we will have enough to suspend a snow sled. The time is 7:07 a.m central time. The Queen is warming up the Jeep but I aim to stay home today. I have got a hankering to cook some pancakes and sausage. After that I am just going to shoot some photographs.

From the snow covered forest of evergreen timbers
Come greetings of Winter that I hope you remember.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:46 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

From where I am sitting here in the manor I can see the most delightful scene. There are 5 antlerless deer and one tall tined trophy buck feeding on shelled corn that has been broadcast below the peach orchard. There is about 4 inches of snow on the ground and very fine flakes are still falling. Winter Whitetails of the Forked Deer (That is how I would caption the scene.) I am going to get my tripod and shoot a photo.

This morning I was going through my camping log to see what I was doing 20 years ago in February.

--------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Camping Log 1983

Feb. Red Leaves Trail (Natchez Trace) 2 nights, Winter Camporee BSA

April, Milan Arsenal, 2 nights, Spring Camporee, BSA

June, Beech Bend, 1 night, Fishing trip

July 4th, Cub Lake, Natchez Trace, 2 nights, Family Camping Trip,

July, Camp Mac Morris BSA. 6 nights, Summer Camp

August, Dogwood Lake, 1 night, Troop 100 BSA

September, Redbud Lake, 1 night Troop 100 BSA

October, Cedar Lake, 1 night Troop 100 BSA

October, Piney Campground (LBL) 2 nights Bow Camp

November, Pin Oak Lake (Natchez Trace) , 3 nights, DEER CAMP 1983

(Natchez Trace State Park is located within the 48000 acre Natchez Trace State Forest in Henderson and Carroll Counties, West Tennessee [70 miles west of the actual Natchez Trace Parkway]).

* I grew up in Carroll County but I have been drinking the water in Henderson County since 1982