Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Done?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:48 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Done with the turkey? No such luck. Not matter how hard that I try, I can never seem to get all the leftover turkey consumed. Part of the problem lies in the saying, "waste not, want not." We have about two pounds of pulled turkey in the frige. We also have more than half the pan of turkey with dressing leftover from yesterday. Yesterday afternoon I thawed out some New York Strips with the full intention of cooking them for supper last night. The Queen insisted on serving leftover dressing for supper so I just skipped supper. Right now I am on a three-day fast so I can avoid eating leftover turkey. I wanted to give the leftover to our dog Hiker but the idea didn't go over well with the Queen. To worsen matters I found a frozen tub of leftover turkey in the deep freezer. (I was trying to make room for all the venison that will be going into the deep freezer. ) The tub of frozen turkey was left over from last May. I just slipped it to the dog. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:22 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Pizza is a not a matter of life or death. It is more important than that.

And on the seventh day He ate pizza.

I once went an entire weekend without pizza. It was the most miserable weekend of my life.

--Village Inn Pizza, Jakson Tennessee

(I noticed these remarks "on the wall" at Village Inn only yesterday.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:39 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This past Saturday I took the Queen to the Boat Show in Jackson. This is an annual event that is held at the civic center. It cost $6.00 a head to get in to see all the boats and displays. I bought some "Hickory Hot" beef jerky to snack on. We also met Vallie Kugler, Miss Tennessee. She was Miss UTM (my alma mater). She gave me an autographed black & white photo. :D

After the boat show we went to the Catfish Cabin in Jackson, Tennessee, to eat a late lunch. The Catfish Cabin is actually a very large log building that was built and owned by the late Carl Perkins (Blue Sued Shoes). Everything was fine except the fish. The fish tasted like it had been fried in very used grease. Typically I enjoy eating at the CC but this was a rare exception. The huspuppies and the slaw were good. I noticed that the Catfish Cabin had a slogan. "Landmark of Good Food."

On 2-22-03 it should have been changed.

Catfish Cabin--Landmark of Greasy Fish! :mrgreen:

They also had these T-Shirts for sale. I bought a white one that has black lettering on it. It has a sketch of a catfish on the back. I plan to wear it on the Buffalo River this summer. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:58 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

http://www.jacksonsun.com/misstn2002/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:46 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I had to see which restaurant has made the claim to be "the best catfish in the south."

http://www.baroutback.com/Restaurant/Re ... 20Page.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:34 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This morning I had a fine breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in Jackson, Tennessee. There was a roaring fire a burning in the huge fireplace. I had two eggs cooked half runny, two sausage patties and two buttermilk biscuits. The house specialty is hash brown casserole and it ranks as the best that I have ever tasted.

http://www.crackerbarrel.com/about-news ... doc_id=557

On Sunday, March 2nd, The Queen took me to the Rainforest Cafe at the Opry Mills Mall in Nashville. The Rainforest Cafe looked like a scene from Jungle Book. We were enroute to the airport so she could hitch a flight to Houston. Since we were running early she treated me to lunch at her favorite restaurant. I ordered the Congo Catfish platter. It was "heap good eating." We had robotic animals to keep us company. My daughter had ordered fried squid for an appetizer. The fried squid looked like small plump onion rings. It had a unique flavor that I did not favor. I much prefere eating fried chitterlings.

On Friday, February 28th, The Queen and I went to Barlely's Brew House in Jackson. The pizza is $1.00 per slice during happy hour. Pints of home brewed beer are also $1.00 per pint from 4:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. I didn't drink enough to get happy but I enjoyed the food. The Queen enjoys playing triva and I like to flirt with the waitress when she goes to the Ladies Room. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:27 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Life is too short to drink lousy coffee.

--Dunkin Doughnuts

(Guess where I had my coffee this morning?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:15 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It is happy birthday time for the Sonic Drive In. The Big 50! I had a fish sandwich at the Sonic for lunch today. It was the second best fish sandwich that I ever ate. "Heap Good Eating!" The car hop was really quite cute. Did I leave a tip? I am sure that I did. :wink:

http://www.sonicdrivein.com/news/factsheet.shtml

Post subject: Ham & Eggs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ham & Eggs: a chicken's life work; a pig's lifetime commitment.

http://www.spuddie.net/foodiequotes.htm

Post subject: Catfish Galley
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:02 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The average American consumes about one pound of catfish per year. I just did an estimate on my personal consumption. Since I eat catfish about once each week then I figure that I consume about 2 pounds each month. That pans out at about 24 pounds each year. Today I had lunch at the Catfish Galley in Jackson, Tennessee.

"We make catfish a meal to remember"

http://www.lakereelfoot.com/Dining/Catf ... alley.html

I even grow my own catfish here at Camp Juniper but most of the home grown fish that we eat are bass and bluegill. On Saturday I will be hosting guest and I will award a prize for the biggest fish. It will probably be a Blue Cat that will weigh above 10 pounds. :)

Post subject: Pancakes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:10 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Can anyone tell me the difference between pancakes and flapjacks?

I cooked some pancakes for breakfast but last week I cooked some flapjacks. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:21 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have noticed that one can buy pancake mix at the grocery store but you can't buy "flapjack" mix. Now that strikes me as quizzical! The is an International House of Pancakes (IHOP) but where is the House of Flapjacks? You can buy pancake syrup at the store but it is difficult to find flapjack syrup. 8O

The Church youth will sponsor and "pancake breakfast" every year but they never have a flapjack breakfast.

Post subject: Flapjacks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:21 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This morning I attempted to cook some flapjacks from the recipe that is posted below. I didn't have any brandy so I added some Segrams, Canadian Mist. I didn't have any "golden syrup" so I used pancake syrup. The dish turned out less than successful. The oats did not bond together but remained loose. :cry:

http://www.uta-arnold.de/flapjacks.html

Post subject: Pigs in a Blanket?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:36 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Every Plate--First Rate!

Perkins Restaurant

I had the "Magnificent 7," two eggs, sunny side up, two link sausages and three buttermilk pancakes. ($5.29 :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:13 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

What is it about Chick Fillet that attracts so many chicks? 8O It is astounding to see sooooo many women who are soooooo enthusiastic about having a chicken sandwich. Beats me, I can't figure it out. :roll: I mean the chicken is OK but the samiches are a bit on the pricey side. If I ever ask a woman to go to lunch with me then I will suggest Chick Fillet.

Want to go to lunch? How about Chick Fillet? :D