Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: The Essence of Autumn
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:14 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Greetings from Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I just had lunch at the Smoky Mountain Brewery. The Queen and I are touring the Smokies. We have been camped in a small cabin at Tremont Hills in Townsend, Tennessee (the peaceful side of the Smokies). Yesterday we toured Cades Cove and enjoyed a picnic lunch after a 5-mile hike. (We saw one bear). The colors are not yet "prime" but it sure is cool (35 degree at dawn).

In spite of my efforts to pack all the stuff that I needed, I neglected to pack the following items:

1) Hiking Boots
2) toothbrush
3) razor
4) shaving cream
5) New York Strips
6) Coffee

We have a very cozy cabin but it was not furnished with a heater. The camp bathouse in only 50 steps from the cabin. It is really alot of fun to get up in the middle of the night and go out in the cold (in the dark) and go to the restroom. As I was coming back I crossed paths with the biggest skunk that I have ever seen. (Needless to say that I gave it the right of way.) Will be touring the mountains this afternoon and fishing for trout tomorrow.

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:18 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It is Ocotber 20th and I arrived back at Camp Juniper around 1:00 p.m. central time. I've been experiencing the essence of autumn in the Smokies. There is more color here at home than in the mountains. We had a pretty decent time touring the mountains. On Firday evening we ate dinner at Dead Beat Peat's (Mexican with live entertainment). On Saturday morning we had pancakes and sausage for breakfast at the Carriage House Inn. We then fished for trout and caught two rainbows. Afterfishing we toured Tucaleechee Caverns. After that we toured the Tremont area to learn the history of The Little River Lumber Company. During the afternoon I watched football in the cabin and put trout on the smoker.

This morining we had breakfast at the Hearth & Kettle then departed for home. We covered 322 mile in about 5.5 hours.

Partial list of things that I didn't forget.

Clean Underwear
Flashlights
Fishing Gear
Beer
Canned foods
Clean socks
Camera & film