Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Word Power
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:27 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well, I am the proud owner of a new hunting bow. It is a Samick, Hawkeye, take-down, recurve (62"--55 lb. draw). This is sort of like having a new baby because I name all my guns & bows & trophies & trucks. Since I am at a loss as to what to name I will not ignore suggestions. ( A person, Place or Thing) . I have retired Saxton, and Odyesseus is semi-retired. Saxton is a Bear, Whitetail II Cam bow that was purchased in 1986. Odyesseus is a Bear, Kodiak, recurve bow. I am leaning toward naming the new baby after a poet. :roll:

I shot an arrow into the air;
It fell to earth I knew not where ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:56 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Meet Longfellow

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Lodg ... wkeye.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:46 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I just acquired a new hunting rifle so it will be named as a tribute to a person place or thing. This is a personal traditon that was inspired by Davey Crockett who became famous by a flintlock musket named Sweet Betsy. The next best thing to acquiring a new gun is the fun of naming it.

In 1983 I acquired a Remington Model 4 chambered for a .308 cartridge. I eventually named it Calvin, as a tribute to John Calvin. Calvin and I have taken a number of deer and a couple of bears including Onyx Ursus. Calvin was an advocate of predestination.

In 1986 I bought a .50 caliber Thompson Center Renegade (caplock) musket. I named it Faith because I needed faith everytime I fired it. I took the Deacon Eight of Bible Grove by Faith in 1986.

In 1990 I became the owner of a Browning A-Bolt .308 that was named Bishop, as a tribute to the chess piece. Bishop has taken The Stag of Sinking Creek, The Magnum X of The Big L, and The 4 X 4 of Cobalt Ridge.

In 1992 I bougth a .50 caliber Black Knight in-line muzzle-loader that I named Zack. It would hit "zactly" where I was aiming. Zack has claimed The Firehoof of Lake Juniper in 1999 and Blackrack--The 5 x 5 of Cobalt Ridge in 2000 (election day).

The new Remington will be named but I am still contemplating. Suggestions will not be ignored. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:52 pm 

If you're looking for a poet why not hit the auther of The Iliad and The Odyssey, Homer. He was as good a poet as any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:52 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Thanks for the suggestion. I named my new bow as a tribute to Longfellow.

The new gun shall be named Jasper.

Post subject: Little John
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:49 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The sun is shinning here in the heart of the Tennessee Delta. I was beginning to think we would have winter weather all winter long. Just yesterday I was working in Memphis. My brother and I went to Corky's for lunch but I didn't make a pig of myself. We visited the Wolf River Trading Company in Germantown. I then went to Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse. :roll: I came home with a new bow. It is a Bear "Super Magnum 48." The bow is my newest baby and it didn't take long for me to decide on a name. Little John and I will be getting acquainted this weekend in Camp. Iv'e not been this jolly since Christmas. :mrgreen:

http://fulldraw.net/bear/fredbear.html