Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Earthly Populations
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:16 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This was something that was raised in another post (Purpose of your life), and needed its own topic.

I was just wondering about the carrying capacity of the Earth

Lets say that the planet reaches its carrying capacity, of whatever it is, and we cant sustain any more people. What sort of birth control do you think will occur? What will governments do to help?

I'm guessing we'll reach a point where we will only be allowed to have enough children to replace the dead.

On the general topic, what happens to a population when it reaches maximine size? Do some of its numbers just die off, and then when they peak again, more die?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:29 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hmm... I think this isn't very difficult for us to think about. I think there are many alternatives. For example: when there will be many people on the Earth, there will be a shortage of food, we will have nothing to eat so that we won't have child :> I think this will be solved itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:33 pm 

Sustainability
http://www.sustainmississauga.com/overconsume.htm
“Is it possible that the earth can sustain the twelve billion people expected by the middle of the next century at even half of the current level of consumption in the developed nations? While the overall concept of sustainable development is surely worthy, prevailing articulations of it are often unrealistic.”
~ from “A Jewish Perspective on Sustainable Development”
by Rabbi Lawrence Troster
http://www.coejl.org/learn/je_textsust.php
Quote:
Some argue that the forests, oceans, croplands, and atmosphere that form Earth's life-support system are already crumbling under humanity's heavy heel. Others believe Earth can sustain an extra 6 billion or more people. Unfortunately, a test of those limits is imminent, notes geographer Robert W. Kates of Ellsworth, Maine. "We face a real crunch. At issue is whether we can do what is totally unprecedented--feed, house, nurture, educate, and employ as many more people in the space of maybe 4 decades as are alive today."
~ from The Human Numbers Crunch, by JANET RALOFF
http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc ... 6/bob1.htm

I just Googled the exact phrase "earth can sustain"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:49 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

If the planet can no longer create air and food for the human race to survive on, the population will begin to die of from startvation, asphixiation, etc. At that point we will go into the ultimate stage of "Survival of the fittest" at which time we kill each other off in an attempt to sustain our own lives. Then, once again, mother nature will have worked itself out. Although, I could see a radical movement come along that decides that to save the world they have to kill millions. Usually how it works...
Yin.

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:11 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
ultimate stage of "Survival of the fittest" at which time we kill each other off in an attempt to sustain our own lives.

Nice. When we reach a certian point, Battle Royale begins, the weaker are killed off, meaning the gene pool will be genetically stronger. These people will eventually reach the same point, and the gene pool will be clensed again. I rekon that would make a pretty good book. Do we have any writers amung us, or does anyone know of a book that predicts something along these lines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:16 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

RAVEN!!! I know raven writes... but she's busy, sorry I forgot... ummm... If no one knows of any existing books on the topic, I think it would be great to find a writer to make this story happen.

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:44 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

The closest I know to this is Day of the Triffids that kind of has a survival of the fitest and prehaps Plague!
Anyway before we reach the limit of what we can sustain out populatoin will level out and then fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:15 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

well since that one talks about a plague, we need to find a writer to tell the story... any good ideas?
Yin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:37 pm 

What kind of ideas exactly are we looking for here? I know that we are talking about the populations carrying capacity. I don't know if I can help though.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:10 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ideas.

Right. So basically, the population reaches its maximine..... and then what? People would still breed, and become starving. Does anyone know what happens in third-world countries when theirs not enough food to go around? Do you think that will happen on a large scale?

Would the government try to prevent this from happening some how? By trying to kill of the weaker people in the world, giving the strongest more time to live?

The government instigates a program which sees entire populations battle each other out. BUt then this would create war, which would create entirly new problems. I think the prisoners (Preferable the really deadly ones, suchs as murderers and rapists) would be the first to be killed off. BUt really you would need to kill a hell of a lot of people to fix the problem. hmmm.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:40 am 

You think the government might be sick enough to let the murders out to kill off the weak and other convics in the prison? Then after this is done the government could kill off the murderers. But how would the government figure out who is the weaker of the population?

Just an idea!

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:55 am 
Enigma
Enigma

In a situation where the world has become so overpopulated that ther is no way for everyone to survive, I think that the governments would be overthrown. That is what happens in countries where food runs out and people begin to suffer. They take out the GOV. After that, anarchy, and several new leaders rise with reform ideas, creating seperate factions. and thee you have your "Ultimate survival of the fittest".
Yin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:12 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

terrost would just lanch nukes like crazze and alsso sickness the arein fue will keep us in line

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:23 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

bright-shadow, if you want to write something, please, at least write it in some form that everyone can read it ok?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:09 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ahh, Rimmmer, i know you want to get back at bright-shadow for their comments earlier (about ishrat) and so do I. But then one of the best things about forums (And one of its curses) is that we know next to nothing about anyone. For all we know, bright-shadow could still only be learning to write/read. Actually, for curiosities sake, how old are you, bright-side? You dont have to answer, but it would be nice to know.

Nice point, Yin. So the government looses control of the people, several major factions are born, and then the warfare begins. Major battles over farms and other sources of food production places. But what else would be fought over? Water supplies would be one, but then water is pretty common so that wouldnt be too big a deal. What else do you think would you fight over?

Alcohol, maybe. I rekon that would be a contested issue.

Quote:
But how would the government figure out who is the weaker of the population?

Yeah, i suppose that everyone has there strengths and weaknessess. I think that the mentally and physically handicapped wouldnt last long (In either senario (ie. With or without the governement). But after that theres no easy choices. The very old would probably be next.