Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:35 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
I honestly don't have a clue about any purpose. I so far have just drifted through life and I will see what happens.

Is like that aint it?

Hey to all those people who remember me, and all those who dont. Havnt been hear in ages. (cant even spell 'hear' write. lol. I must be rusty). Anyways, im kinda bored so i thought i might come up for air and see what everyones up to. Seems ive missed quote a lot, but what better place to start then at the top.

Quote:
I wish someone could tell me the purpose of MY life... LOL... I guess it would be... umm... great... now I won't be able to sleep, again... I'll be up all night trying to figure this one out...

lol @ YinYangSearcher. How true.

Quote:
My purpose is to look for the Truth,

U should have a talk to Phix about thie one, Semo. (say, is he still around, cos i havnt seen many of his posts.)

Quote:
The things we are best at in this life seem to create our purpose.

But are we good at what we like, or like what we are good at? Purhaps not what we are best at, but what we would like to be best at.

What purpose do i gain from life? None. I feel there is no purpose in my life. I have no reason to wake, yet even less to sleep. Except for purhaps the instant gratificational (i very much doubt thats even a word :)...) desires (Eating, drinking, laughing. etc) but in the end, it all turns out the same. Lead a life of pure salvation, dignity and goodness.... And be greated with death at the end of it all. Mass murder thousands of people, and behind door number 2 ...... Death again.

BUT..... given this small amount of time weve got (who am i kinding, living is the longest thing im ever gonna do) i mite as well help other people out, give them hand in sustaining their dreams and desires. Why? Because it make mes feel good. And what more can we get from life then that?

I know that i sound pretty deppressed and pessimiestic (damn, i really need to take a sepling corse :P), but im not. "I'm not a pessimised, I'm a realist."

Anyways, "thats all i have to say about that". Nah not really, ill probably write more after some replys. And if i dont write back for ages, its because im in the middle of exams at the moment, and not because i dont like you or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:42 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

^ agreed
there is no real pepus in life, but what i'll do in my life is become a D.A.
i wach Law & Order way too much considering i'm 13 and it desturbs me
(like i'm not desturbed enof.) so that's my cause

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:18 am 

The mere fact that each and every one of us has been born into this world with its various unique features, is reason enuf for me to believe that we are expected to make the most out of our experience on this earth and to maximise our capabilities as human beings. Like a life test, i believe that we have been given life amongst other living things and nature to test our ability to live in harmony with them, and we have been given our bodily components such as the brain, to acquire maximum knowledge.

anywayz falling a sleep... gnite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:22 pm 

you guys should try reading the book "The Purpose Driven" I think is is a nice book if anyone has heard of it which i think you have because it was a one point in the new york times as best seller. It shows you what your purpose is and you have to discover it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:22 pm 

lvigil,
Whose the author of that book, if anyone knows? It sounds interesting.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:26 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
to acquire maximum knowledge.

But wouldnt this be impossible? The brain is there to keep the body alive. And the weird thing is, the body is there to keep the mind alive. The best way to stay alive is to adapt to our enviroment, and hence evolution has given humans the ultimate weapon of survival: The ability to adapt quickly.

When it comes down to it, the body is used to keep the brain alive (It requires muscles to move to catch food to feed the brain) and the mind to keep the body alive (It thinks of a way to catch food). So what does the body/mind live for? Sex. The brain is there to keep our reproductive organs alive, and our bodies help the brain. Really, like a virus, the only point of our existance (and this is from a purely scientifical point of view) is to replicate, to make sure our genes make it to the next generation of humans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:52 am 

lvigil wrote:
you guys should try reading the book "The Purpose Driven" I think is is a nice book if anyone has heard of it which i think you have because it was a one point in the new york times as best seller. It shows you what your purpose is and you have to discover it.

wow my ideas are comparable to an author of a best seller that ive never heard of before let alone read.. thanks for that ivigil, just made my day!!

Nemesis21: "But wouldnt this be impossible?"

I can see where ur coming from Nemesis21 with the whole interdependence factor between the brain and body. Indeed it is not possible to strengthen one's intellect with either the brain or the body alone. But wat i was trying to point out above was the brain's specific function relative to the rest of the body; it is the holder of the mind and thru experience IT accumulates knowledge within humans. So, in relation to my opinion on this subject, because we have been given larger brains than other species on this earth like chimpanzees, i think that we are expected to utilise them more / to acquire a greater depth of intellect... atleast beyond what is required for physiological-need alone. If we just sit around on our rears all our lives, eating by day and sleeping by nite, then there wud b no real difference between the activity of man and animal... but biology clearly demonstrates man's intellectual superiority over other species, and i believe it is this way for a reason...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:04 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

the author of the book is Rick Warren.... His book "The Purpose Driven" was at one point the Best Seller and many people bought it, it is incredible what you learn and before MSANAM gloats about it he should read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:02 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

@ Nemsis Phix appears to have gone.
Quote:
evolution has given humans the ultimate weapon of survival [Intelligence]

"It has yet to be shown that intelligence has any survival value" Arthur C. Clarke

Something I agree with. Humans emerged after a fairly major extinction. In many models what has been seen in human development is a classic explosion and collapse. Only we haven't reached the collapse yet. The rest agrees with what the mathematical model predicts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:04 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

that is true, the earth has had its periods of extinction of many animals and period of lifeform. Look at all those fosilized animals and it should be the begining of the human life downfall in a couple millions years every period of time lifeform was only a couple hundred millions year, the triassic animals are now extinct, the jurrasic and every time period that has come before us and it is tru like sigs sais that mathematically this should start happening and will happen for sure that time were all human lifeform will come to an end. I wonder what type of liform God would put in our place. From my research, i have learned that everycreature that comes after the previous is always smarter than the one before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:11 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Sorry but that is just wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:37 am 
Enigma
Enigma

Sig, one thing I have learned in this forum is to back up statements like that.

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:58 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

I know I lost my patience but to be fair he daidn't back up his comments it was just longer. Anyway intelligence as evolved a number of times. Many creatures evolved at the same time as us few are anywhere near as intelligent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:41 pm 

Luigi wrote:
the author of the book is Rick Warren.... His book "The Purpose Driven" was at one point the Best Seller and many people bought it, it is incredible what you learn and before MSANAM gloats about it he should read it.

Relax ur dax luigi, i was only appreciating the compliment... thas generalli wat ur supposed to do when u get them... but u obviously havent been given one before!

And just for the record, im not a male... mite b able to tell from the nik... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:42 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
So, in relation to my opinion on this subject, because we have been given larger brains than other species on this earth like chimpanzees, i think that we are expected to utilise them more / to acquire a greater depth of intellect

Oh right, i get what your getting at now. Weve been given a car, so we might as well go for a drive.

Quote:
and i believe it is this way for a reason...

Me too. Natural Selection. An increased ability to adapt to the world (in the form of a larger brain) has lead to a survival increase. Our brains have done what they were there for: They put us on top of the food chain, and increased our chance of survival.

That said, yourve raised a good point. But even if we do gain as much knowledge as we can (as people), i cant see that achieving the divine goal that may have been set for us.

Quote:
Only we haven't reached the collapse yet.

Oh goody, so ive still got something to look forward to.

Quote:
In many models what has been seen in human development is a classic explosion and collapse.

Can you expand on this. So are you saying we came around in a time where we didnt have too many enemies?

Quote:
Sorry but that is just wrong.

Agreed.

Quote:
From my research, i have learned that everycreature that comes after the previous is always smarter than the one before.

Could you expand a little here please Luigi? (eg. Give examples :P)

So your saying that, with humans being the smartest, that we are also the newest, in terms of evolution?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next