Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:49 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Quote:
America hating seems to be the most popular sport of the day. However, you should get your facts straight before making accusations. The United States contributes more foreign aid, including more to African countries, than any other nation on earth.

This is true but America does make a lot more money than anyone else as a % of GDP it is a diffrent matter.
Quote:
The US will continue to be the most generous of nations, and the issue with the G8 proposal was that it asked for a 100% increase in contribution without control of how that money is spent.

Why do controls seem to be good. As has been pointed out by the UN numerous times the more controls placed the less effective the aid hass been often to the point that the aid has been damaging to the country.

Quote:
The problem with the poor African countries is not that there is no one willing to help, but with the repressive governments that realize that a free and prosperous people can not be as easily controlled. Billions of dollars of intended aid is pirated annually by these governments and used for any purpose but to feed their people. Throwing money at Africa with no control is worse than throwing it in the ocean. America will continue to be the most generous of contributors to the nations of Africa.

As I have already said not the most generous but while there is truth in that some dictaors would use the money for bad things most are no worse than the British monacry was I.E. just becuase their not elected doesn't mean they don't care about the country.
Quote:
As for comments that the war in Iraq is about oil, that is outrageous, and the facts show otherwise. Do the countries and soldiers that are sacrificing their lives in Iraq get no credit?

I refuse to be silinenced by the 'don't upset the hired killers while they are busy killing people' brigade. The soldiers get my respect for doing as they are asked in dangerous cicrumstances but that doesn't stop it being an illegal war.
Quote:
Should the powerful countries of the world stand by and do nothing to oppose an evil dictator such as Saddam Housein? Are you aware of all of the attrocities that were committed under his rule? Are you aware of the more than 300,000 bodies of men, women, and children that have been recovered from mass graves in Iraq? If for no other reason, this war is worth it for the humanitarian cause.

Then why weren't we told this was the motivation for going to war. Indeed this motive was denied repeadtedly by both the US & UK goverenment. Why does America have allies that are as bad as Sadam. The truth is that Bush has always wanted war with Iraq and tried to blamne 9/11 on Iraq when it became obvious that there were no terroist ties he was forced to look elsewhere of course when it came to wanting war again he again brought up the lies about terrroist camps
Quote:
Pay close attention as the now free people of Iraq put on trial the man that terrorized and brutalized their country for over 30 years. You may learn some of the benefits that are derived from those in the free world who are willing to sacrifice for others.

Yes but what would America have been like if instead of helping in everyway possible in Britain's second civil war. Remember Britain was at war with France at the time and French forces in America outnumbered american's by more than 3:1. France did not impose rule on America when France freed it it let decide how to rule itself
*** Got bored of using quotes tags
America will always be there, whether it is to help free Europe from the Nazis,
*** The turning points of WW2 in order of importance were
1. Germany turning on Russia. At this point defeat for Germany was inevitable
2. Mers-El-Ke b'ir the sinking of the French navy at British hands allowed Britain to keep naval superemacy. Foricng Germany to become despreate and eventually attack Russia
3. Pearl Harbour. Brining America into the war vs Japan and then Hitler decleared war on America.
If you were coming to defend europe why didn't America declare war when Britain and France did. After all Britain and France only did that to protect Easter Europe.
fight terror anywhere,
Not hard given the terror threat is greatly overexagerated by the US & UK
The next time you see a natural disaster, or a hungry people, notice who is among the first to come to aid. Then notice who is most criticized. That is the way it always is, but we will still be there.
For two very good reasons:
1. America always adds lots of controls to aid
2. Who is more generous the millionare who gives $10 or the person who earns whatever the US minimum wage is and gives $5?
Quote:
God bless America, and our good and loyal allies around the world.

What's left of your allies. Even the UK can't afford to keep with the US unless it starts to be more reasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:51 pm 

How can you say that putting controls on aid is good? Put yourself in these peoples shoes. If you had soldiers coming into your territory, telling you that the systems that you have lived by all your life had to change, what would you do? When they say that they are going to build you more modernized buildings. Better places to live by their standards. Changing the way their government works so that it's like ours. You can't just change the way people have lived in a country for years without causing war. All America wants is to take control of another country so that they can call it theirs. So they will have access to the resources that will contribute to the over abundance of wealth they already have. Then they would also have access to more people to send to war with other countries. For years countries have been fighting for power, and the United States is doing the same thing. Our generosity is just a mask. Although I can't say that there arn't some people here in the US that do good for other people in different countries, because there are. I would be one of them, but I would give expecting nothing in return. I aggree that the money given to Africa should be given to the people, and not the government itself. If it was given to the government they would only use it for other things, not to feed their people.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:08 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I do support your point of view Raven, America is just a power hungry gloating country that wants to make everyone like them. How come no one else can us what we should do but we could go invade Iraq and all the countries we want, Iran is possibly next. I think that George Bush, our president is sometimes the appropriate leader but there are times he just acts like a little kid looking for a quarrel and spending all of America's resources. Althought it would be good to make an attemp to change the custom of the country a little bit to slow down the spread of aids but we cannot fdo it without their consent that is my point of view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:03 pm 

Thats the point! We never ask them what they want, we just take what we want if they don't collaborate with us.

There is a quote that fits this subject:

"Embody what you teach, and teach only what you have embodied."

The US hasn't really embodied anything that it is trying to placed upon these people. The government professes to follow the rules it's created, but they are always attempting to find loop holes. They don't know what it's like for these people in their own country. Maybe they should try to live there life for awhile. Figure out what these people consider happiness. Then they can truly say that they have embodied what these people go through.

Raven