Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Bush & G8
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:02 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

What do you think of Bushes rejection of the G8 africa aid idea proposed by Gordon Brown?
I find it particularly gauling that once again America under bush has refused to do anything to help especially when considering that most countries have paid back considerably more than they owed. Between aid for theese countries and the Us position on globabl warming I am ashamed that the UK still sees America as an ally (The special relationship seems to be in return for us doing whaever America wants America will do whatever the UK wants provided the UK promises never to ask America to do anything)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:11 pm 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

sigsfried, I agree with you... UK had been a dominating power for a long time in the worlds History and is... But I dont get it why does it has to follow the foot steps of US and not make its own Decisions.. UK has lost its mark and seems to be a puppet in the hands of US.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:59 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

We (US and UK) seem to be the two most influencial world powers, and it would be insane for us call off our declaration of being allys. If either country did, there would be a massive power struggle for control, and that would be the start of WW3, though it wouldn't last long, as at this point it would be the US VS. the rest of yall.
Yin

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:59 pm 

Cudnt have sed it better myself Yin. I think its revolved around a mutual power destruction principle. The UK wud not want to bak out b/c in the future, the US can use its vast amounts of power against the UK. Likewise, the US wants to hold on to the UK because of their increasing influence and power in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:56 pm 

Wow! Let me be sarcastic :lol: but I never thought I would hear this subject again.

As Yin said, I agree, it would definately be the end. A battle like that wouldn't last long. The US and the UK have to many powerful resources to use against one another.

Now, to get a better understanding of this situation. What exactly is the G8 africa aid idea? Obviously I havn't been watching the news as much as I should, but I'm interested in knowing.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:43 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Firstly everyone who is saying that the UK is one of the most powerful countries should just stop living in the past the only thing we can win now is the who had the largest Empire 100 years ago competition. This does not mean however that we have to do what America wants. Nor would WW3 break out if the UK & US split.

Ravenheart
The idea is basically that we sell some of the world banks gold reserves (as gold has risen in value above inflation this would put us back were we expected to be) and give that money for world aid. If all g8 countries on top of this gave 0.7% of GDP as aid not tied to anything then African debt would be wiped out.
The Bush adminstratoin has issued a statement about this including the quote
"... You can't stop people being poor by giving them money..." and the slightly agressive "The USA has no need to give this money to Africa unless it is tied to a pro American [NOTE pro-American not pro democracy etc.] policies whilst Europe should as it used to have African colonies"
and something on the lines of it doen't help the US budget giving money to other countries someone should point out to him that every country has a budget and that nobody is helped by giving out money but it needs to be done. Then again if global warming can't be accepted I suppose this is a bit too difficult for the Bush adminstration to work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:05 pm 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

sigsfried I agree with you... Pride is a way for downfall for a man... We tend to live in our past history and treasure it, forgeting what the future holds for us... I beleive that no one is superior, Its the way you utilize the resources that makes you one, but to dust we must end... Of what we are, what we want to be and what we used to be, will all be no good if we cannot improve the world we live in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:49 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Africa isn't america's problem. if we try to please evryone, we will please none.

however HIV/AIDs are/is :?: getting out of hand. america needs to use it's conserdable wealth to find a cure.................... or we could let china do it when they surpass us in twenty years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:20 pm 

Yeah, well think about how many people in twenty years will have already died due to HIV/AIDS. I still think we need to be using that money to help the people here. Once we have helped ourselves then we can help others.

Yet again, I might be wrong, but I don't see how it would be so hard, or why the administration is having so much trouble. I honestly think that Bush and the rest of the government are a bunch of money hungry fools that need to get some sense knocked into there thick heads. But like I said, I could be wrong.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:10 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

@ Bright-Shadow. How can you defend the kind of attitufe that says the starving of millions caused by trade problems caused by the west isn't America's problem. I'm sorry but this kind of isolationist attitude is dispicable in this day and age. After all America is as responsible as Europe for the problems. The fact that America is still following policies that are making AIDS worse in Africa is noy insignifcant. I suppose it could be argued that by helping theese countries there will be less terrorists but really letting people starve who it is within our power to help is wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:24 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

africa was a triving sivalishon, with the correckt additude of the genal populus the place could be rebult. shiit happens, they should have descoved amereica, concored eroup and not complanded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:19 am 

obviously you have no compassion. I would never deprive someone help if they needed it, but I would if it was for a bad cause. This is not for a bad cause. Really, what is wrong with the world today?

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:20 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

If Africa isn't America's problem then why is North Korea's problem? Why was Iraq America's problem (sorry silly me I forgot Iraq has lots of oil)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:24 am 

Sigsfried, well done. I can just agree with everything you said. Africa is also Slovakia's problem (country where I live) We are definitely richer than african people. And why? Do we work harder?? NO, we leglly steal money they earn. So if rich countries gave money to Africa, that wouldn be handout but small paying off our depts. Looks srange, doesnt it?

Post subject: Defending America
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:26 pm 

America hating seems to be the most popular sport of the day. However, you should get your facts straight before making accusations. The United States contributes more foreign aid, including more to African countries, than any other nation on earth. And this is just the money contributed through the government. In addition, American corporations and individuals also privately contribute more than any other country. The tsunami relief contributed by the US both in money and on the ground assistance was, as usual, far greater than any other government, and the additional private donations were nearly double the government figures.

The US will continue to be the most generous of nations, and the issue with the G8 proposal was that it asked for a 100% increase in contribution without control of how that money is spent. The problem with the poor African countries is not that there is no one willing to help, but with the repressive governments that realize that a free and prosperous people can not be as easily controlled. Billions of dollars of intended aid is pirated annually by these governments and used for any purpose but to feed their people. Throwing money at Africa with no control is worse than throwing it in the ocean. America will continue to be the most generous of contributors to the nations of Africa.

As for comments that the war in Iraq is about oil, that is outrageous, and the facts show otherwise. Do the countries and soldiers that are sacrificing their lives in Iraq get no credit? Should the powerful countries of the world stand by and do nothing to oppose an evil dictator such as Saddam Housein? Are you aware of all of the attrocities that were committed under his rule? Are you aware of the more than 300,000 bodies of men, women, and children that have been recovered from mass graves in Iraq? If for no other reason, this war is worth it for the humanitarian cause. Pay close attention as the now free people of Iraq put on trial the man that terrorized and brutalized their country for over 30 years. You may learn some of the benefits that are derived from those in the free world who are willing to sacrifice for others.

America will always be there, whether it is to help free Europe from the Nazis, to help bring down the Berlin wall, fight terror anywhere, assist in disaster aid from earthquake or tsunami, or provide food for the hungry anywhere in the world. We do this for friend or enemy alike, even if it is not appreciated.

The next time you see a natural disaster, or a hungry people, notice who is among the first to come to aid. Then notice who is most criticized. That is the way it always is, but we will still be there.

God bless America, and our good and loyal allies around the world.