Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: QUICK!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:14 am 

OKay I'm in this advanced Writers class at my school and there is a prize for who finds out a conection between Oscar Wilde and Marcus of Queensbury (sorry if the spelling is incorrect)
Our teacher said the connection is quite esquew!

Sooooooo if anyone knows...i would love you indefinetly!!!! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:35 pm 

dont fret..i found it....
Mr Queensbury wrote a trashy letter to Mr Wilde and humiliated him...(well, thats the short of it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:48 pm 

Well, I think there is a lot more to their connection than that, certainly....

FOR OSCAR WILDE, POSING AS SOMDOMITE
This card was left by the Marquess of Queensberry (Lord Alfred Douglas' father)
at Wilde's club in February 1895.
Wilde decided to sue Queensberry for libel and lost.
Queensberry's accusations, however, led to a series of two further trials in which Wilde was the defendant.

http://www.oscariana.net/oscariana23.html
Letter to the Star, April 25, 1895
In my time I have helped to cut up and destroy sharks. I had no sympathy for them, but I may have felt sorry and wished to put them out of their pain as soon as possible. What I did say that as Mr. Wilde now seemed to be on his beam ends and utterly down I did feel sorry for his awful position, and that supposing he was convicted of those loathsome charges brought against him that were I the authority that had to mete out the punishment, I would treat him with all possible consideration as a sexual pervert of an utterly diseased mind, and not as a sane criminal. If this is sympathy, Mr. Wilde has it from me to that extent.
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project ... wilde.html

the original card left by Lord Queensbury, containing the phrase which sparked off the whole trial progress – "For Oscar Wilde, posing as a somdomite (sic)." Wilde brought a case against Lord Queensbury for libel; a case he could not win.
http://www.worldbookdealers.com/article ... 000219.asp

Queensberry suspected Wilde was a homosexual and was bent on seducing Lord Alfred. The publication of “Two Loves” proved it to him.
The Marquess tried everything he could to pull his son from Wilde's clutches. He stalked the men as they went about London and accosted any restaurateur who served them. He threatened his son with excommunication from the family. Still Lord Alfred and Oscar remained close friends.
"Your intimacy with this man Wilde must either cease or I will disown you and stop all money supplies," Queensberry threatened in 1893. He publicly scolded his son and even showed up at Wilde's house with a champion boxer to threaten the author. Wilde's response was, "I do not know what the Queensberry rules are, but the Wilde rules are to shoot on sight!"
The feud between Queensberry and Wilde went on for several years and came to climax as Wilde's play The Importance of Being Earnest was set to premiere in London. Queensberry threatened to disrupt the premiere and ruin the performance. Given that he had previously successfully carried out a similar threat, Wilde took Queensberry seriously. He hired a cordon of guards to stand outside the theater while the play was on. The marquess tried to make good on his threat but was thwarted. He paced outside the theater with a bouquet of vegetables until the performance was over.
Queensberry wrote once more to his son, following through on his threat to disown him.
"You reptile, you are no son of mine and I never thought you were."
Lord Alfred answered, "If O.W. was to prosecute you in the criminal courts for libel, you would get seven years' penal servitude for your outrageous libels."
To Queensberry, a gauntlet had been thrown. If it took a libel trial to prove to the world that Oscar Wilde was a homosexual, so be it.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/gangsters_o ... ilde/4.htm
http://www.gayhistory.com/rev2/events/wilde.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:52 am 

When in doubt, go Google! :D

Chelsea