Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:29 am 

According to Webster's Third New International Dictionary 1986, marriage is defined as "the statute of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband and wife," or "and intimate close reunion." After looking into Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language 1996, I found another definition, one that is provided ten years later. The dictionary states marriage is "the legal or religious ceremony that formalizes the decision of a man and woman to live as husband and wife, including the accompanying social festivities"

First defination-well it applies no longer as everybody knows because quite otherwise has been happening from quite some time.

The second defination recognises the legal aspect of a marriage and consider it from the legal point of view.Well it is also a secondary matter when we are looking for a true meaning of marriage.

Well the words "Intimate close reunion" come closest to defining the meaning marriage.

Well in my opinion the institution of marriage has done more harm then good to the world.Two people can be in close sychronisation with each other and live through life without going through all the religious ceremonies and other formalities while there can be a couple who marry in a grand style {as seen today in most of the cases,wheather due to society obligations or by their own will]and not after much time are seperated.
When seen from the aspect of investment of time,money,energy,participation of long listed relatives {including faraway ones} marriage is a costly idea and does not fit in accordance with today's world needs.By this i mean to say marriage need not be abolished but the fancy ways that have been devised for it to take place need to be checked rationally to late surface its true meaning.

What are your opinion/views please let me know so that reality can surface.
Jas Malik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:34 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Though I don't have any facts that would prove anything, I can say that I agree with what you say that the marriage has done more harm than good to the world.
If there are 2 people who love each other, I think it isn't necessary that they should 'marry' each other. Love is the biggest part of everything and it's enough. The bad thing about marriage is that when 2 people love each other, but then when they get to know each other better, they find out they aren't so good and they don't want to live forever anymore, but in many cases, since they are married, they don't want to end their relationship, they live together even though the bad relationship and their lifes are bad, just because the marriage.
That are my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:38 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I don't think we should get rid of the concept of marriage. I am well aware that the rituals associated can be important for some people. What we need to do, though, is stop granting financial and rights benefits to married couples. Keep the religious aspect for those who want it, but lose the legal part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:15 am 

Marridge may have lost some of it's meaning to some people but there are many people in the world still like the idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:24 pm 

I am not againist the idea of marriage ,you got me wrong i am againist the "way" the marriage is done nowdays.It is more a social affair then meeting of two people .If two people understand each other enough and decide to live rest of their life together then what the big ceremony's for when small one can do.Can't the money,time,energy saved from such lavish extravaganzas and be directed towards the needy and the one's who are not priviliged enough.

Jas Malik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:29 am 

True, the reasources could be better directed to those who are worse off however, marridge is one of the most important times in a persons life and some like to have the extravagance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:36 am 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

I love the idea of marriage.... inviting all your friends, partying hard.. but its only good if you plan to marry one.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:59 pm 

I think that marriage is a product of societal evolution. Like true adaptations, it usually peaks too late and has to be brutally forced into extinction. I believe that marriage evolved in order to aid our population in succeeding. However, it wasn't a perfect entity with which to begin. How are you going to take a human with animal instincts of survival and force it into a monogomous relationship in less than 3000 years? It took thousands of years longer to hard wire those instincts, so why do we expect our population to conform and happily accept the idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:54 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

It has been decided by many that marriage isn't for everyone. No one is saying that all of us beasts need to be tamed soon, if ever. The idea of marriage is great and I think that where it is right now is awsome. Those who are married are (Hopefully) happy and take it (somewhat) seriously. Others (Myself) have little intention of ever settling down because we have accepted the fact that it isn't our thing, and today's society is accepting those people more and more, even those with families aren't expected to be married. I like where we are toady.

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.