Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:59 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I believe that it does essentially means "trust no one". It would be a pretty isolated and lonely way to live. I guess its saying that we should be very cautious with how much we open ourselves to others because anyone can hurt us, but if u never risk being hurt there are alot of joys that we'll be cheated out of too. For me, i couldn't live life the way that quote advises. That's for someone who doesn't mind growing old and miserable.

But that's just my opinion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:18 am 

enigma wrote:
I believe that it does essentially means "trust no one". It would be a pretty isolated and lonely way to live. I guess its saying that we should be very cautious with how much we open ourselves to others because anyone can hurt us, but if u never risk being hurt there are alot of joys that we'll be cheated out of too. For me, i couldn't live life the way that quote advises. That's for someone who doesn't mind growing old and miserable.

Well said ^__^

Post subject: Re: Friends forever??
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:39 pm 

pc wrote:
Quote:
Treat your friend as if he might become an enemy.

Publilius Syrus (~100 BC).

Is this quote valid?
Does it mean : 'Trust No one'?
Doesn't it go against everything we expect from our friends?

I think it means the same thing as 'keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.'

Post subject: Re: Friends forever??
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:01 pm 

soleil wrote:
I think it means the same thing as 'keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.'

I don't think it's quite the same. That quote means to keep an eye on current enemies, but pc's quote isn't quite the same. thats just how I feel though. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:40 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

hmm I think it's something beyond meaning that you should never say everything to your friends, because later they can become your enemies and misuse those things you said them before against you. just know that every friend can become enemy and every enemy can become friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:25 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

But thats the true test of a friends trust: If they were to become your enemy, could you still trust them with keeping your old secrets? Or in other words, if your friend became your enemy, would they still be your friend? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:08 pm 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

"Every one should have two friends, One to talk to and the other to talk about"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:51 pm 

Ishrat,
I have to say that sounds a little mean. Why would you want a friend to talk about. That would mean your not really a friend, but a back stabber.

I think the quote means pretty much what everyone else has said. To be careful about what you say to your friends, because sometimes those who you think are your friends sometimes really are not. I once had a friend who I told my deepest secrets to. One day she decided to not be my friend and run off and tell every single person in the school my secrets. I was tortured by the students and eventually left the school because I couldn't handle it anymore.

The quote is not saying to treat you friend terribly and without trust. It is simply saying that you should be careful as to what you do and say to them because the above might just happen.

Let me know what you think.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:01 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

yeah, thats pretty much what I got out of it, Raven. When your about to tell your friend something, ask yourself what would happen if they suddenly werent your friend anymore. Could you still trust them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:07 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

that is why you shouldn't make emoshinal attashiments, don't make freinds and you cant lose them. its just less painfull that way
for example: ishrat could die today and i wouln't feel any loss, he's just user # 377826 (made up #)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:21 pm 

Come on Bright-Shadow, I think that was a little uhh...uncalled for. Did you really have to use someones real name? I know you were just making a point, but even I would be upset if Ishrat died. I might not know him really well, but you do get to know people on forums well, even if you are not talking to them on a personal level. Lets get off the death topic here. It seems to be wandering the forums a lot lately. I wonder why!

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:20 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I agree with Raven and I must say to you, bright-shadow, your post is the worst post I have ever read and I don't want to read anything wrote by you from now, you can be sure! How could you say something like that?? Every person is important! Every single living thing in this universe is here for it's purpose and is just as important as you are.

"During my second year of nursing school our professor gave us a quiz. I breezed through the questions until I read the last one: "What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?" Surely this was a joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times, but how would I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank. Before the class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our grade. "Absolutely," the professor said. "In your careers, you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say hello." I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name was Dorothy."
~Joann C. Jones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:56 pm 

Awesome quote RiMMER, I really like that.

Thanks for the back up.

Tootles,
Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:14 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

was that brightlight who said that....
not too sure bout the nickname,

but i kinda agree with him/her.

Everyone is important - to themselves and the people around them.

and if someone on the forum died, it wouldn't be very nice cuz i wouldn't be able to interact with them again and all, but it wouldn't really hamper the way i lead my life. there are varying degrees of shock, hurt - and this one would maybe skim a lil below the surface. and i know, with all of the blasphemy, its the same with everybody. :|

And Eternity in an hour.