PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Man, just read the e mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:44 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

I will do tommorrow as I have got the day off school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:46 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Thats fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:02 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

I have read it and think it is very good BUT I am not convinced by your evidience for the existance of God.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:24 pm 

Phix wrote:
Quote:
I can't afford to do anything about it. (Openining sentance) also to add to that I don't really have the time as I do want to get to Uni.
Well thats your choice but to say there is little you can do about it is immature in itself. You have complete control but you blame it on circumstance. Only women and children do this but not men.

Phix: Of all the.....you are so chauvanistic. Your view of women and children is one that I would have expected of a backwater hillbilly who thinks that women and children are worth nothing. But then again, egotists always do think that way. I myself am both a woman and a child, and I have never blamed anything on circumstance. You think that just because your anatomy is different from ours that it makes you special. Well, I have news for you buddy. It doesn't. Furthermore, I do know that circumstance does come into play. Perhaps not for me, but for others, yes. Not everyone has control. Case in point: third world countries do not have control. Their governments do. Especially those governments where there is a caste system. To say that everyone has control is an outright lie. And you, with your preaching at everyone about how you are trying to "dispell lies" should see it as such. But you are blind. Blinded by your own feelings of self-importance and arrogance. And yes, in this, arrogance is meant. You are arrogant to think that you have all the answers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:39 pm 

how cld u say that only women & children blame the circumstance; where the hell did men come from? r they from heaven? do they posess any extra-ordinary abilities?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:07 pm 

That's what I'd like to know! Where does he get off speaking of his fellow human beings that way? Men aren't better than women and children just because they happen to be men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:07 pm 

The Americans stole this land from the britich, the french,the native americans,and spainish. But were still considered one of the best countries in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:04 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hmm I think this thread is going wrong way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:23 am 

Is law and order "right".Now read this:-
In India[don't know about other countries] there are numerous case pending in the court where a small theft was conducted by the person and that person is waiting for the hearing of his case for 10,15,20 years inspite of the fact that the maximum punishment attributable can be 6 months which is astonishing in itself.

Now your opinion about law and order may change.as law can go wrong despite of the fact that it is defined otherwise. Here more then theft the law has gone wrong,will you now bracket the "law and order" as "wrong".
It will be absurd because its a exception to law and order efficiency.

What i am trying to say is that to steal is wrong but there can be exceptions and no generalisation can be made in this regard.

Jas Malik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:39 am 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

Staeling is bad... people make it their profession... instead of working hard to earn bread & Butter they pick the easier wayout... Because its an easy option.. what if the person t had worked whole day to feed his family in the end , ends up starving, because someone stole from him.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:26 am 

You might like to look the answer to you question up from a psychological moral reasoning point of view, look for studies done by Kohlberg. the following information that i have posted on Kohlberg can be found at www.uwsp.edu/.../website%20psych%20315%20spring%202005/ Psychology%20315%20Moral%20Development%20Handout.pdf
I totally disagree with the rantings of the Phix fellow, Kohlberg studied people's moral reasoning, one particular story he used to do thie was as follows:
In Europe a woman was near death from a special kind of cancer. There was one drug that the doctors thought might save her. It was a form of radium that a druggist in the same town had recently discovered. The drug was expensive to make, but the druggist was charging ten times what the drug cost him to make. He paid $200 for the radium and charged $2,000 for a small dose of the drug. The sick woman’s husband, Heinz, went to everyone he knew to borrow the money, but he could only get together $1,000 which is half of what it cost. He told the druggist that his wife was dying and asked him to sell it cheaper or let him pay later. But the druggist said, “No, I discovered the drug, and I am going to make money from it.” So Heinz got desperate and broke into the man’s store to steal the drug for his wife (Kohlberg, 1969, p. 379)

From Phix's views, I think Kohlberg would define this Phix fellow as in the preconventional stage of moral reasoning (typical of children between about 4-10 years, let me say, not just female children, but all children) Individuals in this stage: Advocate obeying the rules of others to avoid punishment Ignore the motives of an act and focus on its physical form (such as the size of a lie) or its consequences (the amount of damage or the severity of the punishment)

This also explains Phix's strong "beliefs" in his religion. I would like to state my personal point of view that he may think that by sticking strongly to his religion, he is being a wonderfully good person, however if he is only doing this to avoid punishment from his god for not believing, it means his moral values are the equivalent of a young childs.

As people develop through the stages, they are more likely to say that Hienz should STEAL the medicine.

I don't mean to attack this individual, Phix, merely to point out the irony in his statements and also to give people some facts about this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:52 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

An interesting reply however I am not sure if you are being a bit overly critical of Phix this argument basically boild down to the question is a deotoligcal approach to ethics are reasonable one. Whilst I and many others beilieve that this is not the case deriding it as childish is probably unfair, though I do except that it is a view commonly expressed by many children I think the motivation is different.
For example a child belives that right and wrong is such an obvious position becuase that is what we teach them and that is the way they get punished (How often do you here teachers/parents saying I don't care what he did ...). Whilst Phix for all I disagrred with him beileved that because he was a moral realist. To me this is an absurd position but diriding it as childish is something that is unhelpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:16 am 

I just find it ironic that he earlier accuses people who say that 'stealing in some cases is not wrong' as childish, while Kohlberg's work classifies Phix's moral stance as the most childish. :lol: google the name Kohlberg and have a look at what you get.