It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:01 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
the best way to get over anger at others is to do something u enjoy

This isnt always a suitable way to get past it. Most anger is spur of the moment, in response to something that has happened or been said. If someone does something to annoy me, im not gonna get up and go watch a movie, or listen to music, im gonna get up and deck em (just kidding :))

Quote:
what i meant was to do what we want to do in life

So if i wanna attack someone, should I?

Quote:
its worth doing what u want to do

Not neccasarily. To every action, whether you want to do it or not, there will be concequences. I dont want to work. But I do want to play. I cant play without work. Now what happens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:13 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I find that i really have to discipline myself sometimes. It depends alot on a person's determination to fulfill a promise too. What I do sometimes is, I set something for myself to do so that everytime the temptations come I do that and i find it takes focus off the temptation and puts it somewhere else. It a pretty good method actually cause u can channel tempation into something productive, for instance if I'm sleepy and I promised myself i'd finishing studying a certain amount of material that night, to prevent myself from going to bed for a 5-minute nap (that usually turns into 3 hrs) I'd do excercises instead. It takes away the sleepyness, and makes me alert and it keeps me fit. Well that's just a simple example. It works though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:55 am 

Resisting temptation is a choice. If you believe something is wrong, your conscience will let you know you're crossing the line. You choose to cross it or not. I think it all depends on how often you allow your conscience be your guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:33 am 

I found this thread to be interesting and thought provoking. The following collection of quotations was found at http://www.quotegarden.com/self-control.html and I did nothing to research any of them except this first one:
Quote:
But the bravest man amongst us is afraid of himself. The mutilation of the savage has its tragic survival in the self-denial that mars our lives. We are punished for our refusals. Every impulse that we strive to strangle broods in the mind and poisons us. The body sins once, and has done with its sin, for action is a mode of purification. Nothing remains then but the recollection of a pleasure, or the luxury of a regret. The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful. It has been said that the great events of the world take place in the brain. It is in the brain, and the brain only, that the great sins of the world take place also.
~ Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Self-respect is the root of discipline: The sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.
~Abraham Joshua Heschel, The Insecurity of Freedom: Essays on Human Existence, 1967
Not being able to govern events, I govern myself, and apply myself to them, if they will not apply themselves to me.
~Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1588
How like herrings and onions our vices are in the morning after we have committed them.
~Samuel Taylor Coleridge
I have been my own disciple and my own master. And I have been a good disciple but a bad master.
~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin
All men are tempted. There is no man that lives that can't be broken down, provided it is the right temptation, put in the right spot.
~Henry Ward Beecher, Proverbs from Plymouth Pulpit, 1887
I am,
indeed,
a king,
because I know how
to rule myself.
~Pietro Aretino, 10 May 1537
Those who flee temptation generally leave a forwarding address.
~Lane Olinghouse
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
~Buddha
What makes resisting temptation difficult for many people is they don't want to discourage it completely.
~Franklin P. Jones
It's all right letting yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back.
~Mick Jagger
If we resist our passions, it is more because of their weakness than because of our strength.
~François, duc de La Rochefoucauld
For every man there exists a bait which he cannot resist swallowing.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
The first attribute that characterizes the greater man from the moron is his thicker layer of inhibition.
~Martin H. Fischer
Go ahead and squander your chi. But I guarantee you heaven isn't in Miss March's pussy.... Heaven is on the other side of that feeling you get when you're sitting on the couch and you get up and make a triple-decker sandwich. It's on the other side of that, when you don't make the sandwich. It's about sacrifice.... It's about giving up the things that basically keep you from feeling. That's what I believe, anyway. I'm always asking, "What am I going to give up next?" Because I want to feel.
~Jim Carrey, from a Michael Fleming interview in the March 2004 issue of Playboy magazine
An element of abstention, of restraint, must enter into all finer joys.
~Vida D. Scudder
Conscience whispers, but interest screams aloud.
~J. Petit-Senn
Not using faults does not mean that one does not have them.
The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again.
~Korman's Law
There is no allurement or enticement, actual or imaginary, which a well-disciplined mind may not surmount. The wish to resist more than half accomplishes the object.
~Charlotte Dacre, The Passions, 1811
Most people want to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch.
~Robert Orben
Nothing makes it easier to resist temptation than a proper bringing-up, a sound set of values - and witnesses.
~Franklin P. Jones
About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
~Tom Wilson
There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable.
~Mark Twain
Do not bite at the bait of pleasure till you know there is no hook beneath it.
~Thomas Jefferson
If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins.
~Benjamin Franklin
A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is.... A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in.
~C.S. Lewis
Opportunity may knock only once, but temptation leans on the doorbell.
~Author Unknown
You are a puppet, but in the hands of the infinite, which may be your own.
Abstainer, n. A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, 1911

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:36 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:14 pm 

[quote="Nemesis21"]Most anger is spur of the moment, in response to something that has happened or been said. If someone does something to annoy me, im not gonna get up and go watch a movie, or listen to music, im gonna get up and deck em (just kidding :))

u can jus go for a walk and think abt how the whole stuff happened; may be it was our own mistake/it cld also be the other person's mistake. i personally believe that the best way to deal with anger is to go to the root cause of it - if it was my mistake, i correct it; if the other person has done something wrong - i try to make them understand, however if they dont want to....then there is nothing i can do abt it... :mrgreen:

[quote]So if i wanna attack someone, should I?
well in the first place my morals wld never allow me to think of hurting someone...when we get angry we may feel like killing someone, but as u sd earlier its jus for that moment

[quote]Not neccasarily. To every action, whether you want to do it or not, there will be concequences. I dont want to work. But I do want to play. I cant play without work. Now what happens?

again each person needs to take care of herself. no matter how many people we have around us (parents, siblings, children, friends) ultimately, its only us with whom we have to live. so if u wanna play, u'l need to work dear :lol: