Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:49 pm 

Back to time...
I see time as a wheel, a snake biting it's tale. Time is infinite as all of you have said. It has not a begining and it has not an end. Time controls the direction in which our life goes, the people we meet, and the events that occur.

What REALLY is time?
Time is just a word like any other word that would sound just as confusing by any other name.

A little Shakespeare for you.

We gave this invisble, undefinable, phenomenon a name. Before we came along it probably didn't even exist, but we needed something to go by. Why did we need something to help us understand this phenomenon? No one knows. It's a mystery that caught our curiousity and killed the cat. We started by reading the stars, and ended with calenders. Somewhere between then and now, we used the sun and the moon, watching the direction it went in to tell time. We blame age on time, but if we never knew time existed, would we really age? There are so many theories to time that I could come up with. Let me know what you think.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:26 pm 

Time isn't really a controller of anything. Time is not an invisible force that pushes us towards what to do. It may force choices in its passing, but other than that, it does not 'control the direction our life is going'.

As far as infinity... (I'm probably just repeating myself, but anyway) well, the concept that the measure of the passing of, well, time extends to infinity in either direction from the moment I do believe. But the concept of time, the scale that humans invented to measure the passing of the moment, that is finite, because we had to start somewhere at 0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:26 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

how can you prove that time exsitst? maby the only thing that exsist is the one moment when you are reading my post. the rest are just fake memorys.

the past is dead, the futcher may never come, we only have the present.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:16 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

How can we prove the universe exists?
Again we can't theese points that are made by epistomology don't show anything about knowledge becuase knowledge doesn't require certainty. Just it to be near certain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:59 am 

How can you prove anything exists?

You can't--so why worry about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:42 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.
~Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:12 pm 

Code:
How can you prove anything exists?

You can't--so why worry about it?

What are you talking about? We have proven that many things exsist. Perhaps the things we have proven were easy to prove, but still we have proven them.

Yes, we might never prove such things as fate, free will, time, or even the truth as to what normal is. These are, yet again things that were only given a name and a meaning, but never have they been truly understood.

Is there a possibility of proving them. Yes, there is always a possibility, so why not try to figure it out if we can?

We are not worrying about it, we are just curious. There is nothing wrong with curiosity now is there?

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:06 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

LOL well done Raven... :D

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:09 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

nice try Raven but sorry it is wrong.
We can't prove anything exists how. You can doubt the existance of the outside world maybe it is all a halucination.
Well there is one thing you can't doubt but as the cartesian cogito doesn't work we are stuck unable to prove the existance of anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:41 am 

"The Truth may be out there but the lies are in your head"
That is really it. We are JUST humans :) but we are definitely closer to truth than some small poor snail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:30 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Assuming the snail exists of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:10 am 
Enigma
Enigma

I dunno... I have to believe that the world that I am living in exists. With the thought that the people who are reading the words that I am typing on this computer are all an illusion, comes a sense of either fear or uselessness, I can't decide which. I have to say that untill I see evidence that the world does not exist, I am going to stick to the fact that what I am doing right now is more than an illusion and actually worth something. Because if it is just an illusion... It just has to be real.
Yang

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:17 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

In all honesty I do agree but where do you stop? what is acceptable belief? However in the idealist / materialist / dualist debeates I am feverently in the materialist camp. After all the alternative all that exists is the contents of my mind seems absurd and and anyway there is one thing I can't doubt the existance of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:17 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

Quote:
In all honesty I do agree but where do you stop? what is acceptable belief?

Hmmm.... I honestly don't know.... It makes you question what you believe and why you have come to believe that... I guess I am analytical and have little faith in my belief. But at the same time, I believe in things that most people would call crazy, such as Chi energy. But I don't know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:35 pm 

You know, I have heard of what you speak of Sig, but I don't know if its the same thing. My grandmother practices a belief close to what you are saying. That everything we see with our mind is just an illusion, and so are we. That it is our mind that creates everything around us. I guess you can argue The Matrix theory here too. The belief I am talking about is called the Infinite Way by Joe Goldsmith. He has written many books about it. The belief itself stems from Christianity, but it is by far excepted by any Christian and most have not heard of it.

I myself do not follow this belief, but I have tried. The idea, like Yin said, that everything around me doesn't really exsist kind of scares me.

Raven

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next