Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:11 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I think time is an infinite factor by which we can measure all events that occur in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:24 pm 

What is destroyed in time builds up Eternity.

The Fall of Man was necessary. We will eventually build for ourselves a Paradise with Imagination.

"The Mind lets in the light, then the dark, in interaction; so time is generated. At the end Mind awards victory to the light; time ceases and the Mind is complete" ~VALIS

Like that rant? Blasphemy, isn't it? :P :lol:

~William Blake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:39 am 

time is a means of measuring, well - time. if u follow that. man invented time to keep track of when they were in the day, week, year etc.

"Nothing inspires forgiveness quite like revenge."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:16 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Man invented concepts of time to understand when it was. Time surely has always existed.
I know it is a rather semantic point.

Post subject: time is....
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:32 pm 

complicated.

I think Time is another dimension, like the 3 dimensions we are active in. I believe that our 3-d universe lies within the 4th dimension of time. Gliding through but not exactly interacting with this 4th dimension.
Actually this isn't my own theory, I forget who it belongs to. I think michio kaku said it. But I can't remember for sure. Anyway many physicists believe that the universe is 4 dimensional, and time is the dimension that we can only observe, and are incapable of moving through. Like we are all kinda of born with a time inertia, and that keeps us moving through time.
Complicated, and I might being explaining this wrong, but thats how I believe things happen.

~Dorkis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:03 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Quote:
Complicated, and I might being explaining this wrong, but thats how I believe things happen.

Yep pretty wrong but no more worse than most people.

Science currently predicts 21 dimensions (I'm not going to go on about how come physicists can say my theory works if the universe has 21 dimensions therefore there are 21 dimensions not therfore I am wrong)

We do however interact with time depending on our speed and gravoty hear us. Arguably the other 3 fundamental forces effect it as well.

Post subject: grrr
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:06 pm 

There are as many theories on time as there are theorists. Also, We never directly intereact with time. If we did we would be able to influence it, and we can't. Also just because string theory predicts 21 dimensions doesn't mean there ARE 21 dimensions.

~Dorkis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:03 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

True but there is evideince to suggest we are in a 13dimensional, 21 dimensional or infite dimensional universe there is however no evidence to suggest we are in a 4 dimensional world.
THis is why I said science PREDICTS that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:14 am 

not true, there is plenty of evidence. The biggest and most persuasive being that we can only detect 4 dimensions, we exist in 4 dimensions, and with only 4 dimensions the universe seems to work.
I'm not saying that I believe there are only 4 dimensions, i have no idea. But there is more actual hard evidence to support 4 dimensions that there is to support most of the infinite dimension theory's or the theory's that predict more dimensions.

Those theories all assume that dozens of other theories are correct. Like string theory or that weird theory that predicts the universe is filled with dimensions smooshed together.

~Dorkis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:35 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Sadly common sense and what we normally experience has no value in science. The fact is that there is evidence that there is more than the normal number of dimensions becuase gravity at the very small idstances is weaker than that predicted by newtonian mechanics this is also proof that the dimensions are 'curled up really small'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:14 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

I have heard the 21 dimension theory, though I in no way have gained any knowledge on it other than the simple fact that it exists. from what I did understand was that scientists have mathmatically proven the existence of those 13/21 dimensions. I, Unfourtunately, see little use in a 21 or 13 dimension theory, if only 3 are relevant and percievable and the fourth (time) is maybe non existent (which is my theory on time. I believe it exists as a thing no more than an inch does, and is simply a measurement)

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:44 pm 

Time really has multiple definitions, doesn't it?

One would be an idea used to define and or quantify the progression of people, places, things, events, etc. in relation to each other. The notion that we interact with time seems to be half true - we do not interact with time, but it acts on us.
Sigsfried, you make an interesting point with the statement 'time surely has always existed' and I agree with you there. Time has always been progressing, even if it hasn't always been measured by man.

Yeah, my vocabulary at 1 AM isn't large enough to keep going with this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:05 am 
Enigma
Enigma

Boo,
What you are saying, does this mean that you belive that time is a thing, or simply a measurement? If it were more than a measurement of our progression through life, would that mean that some day we may be able to manipulate it and act upon it, or at least apply some influence?

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:11 am 

Time is a intangible phenomenon .We use the word "time" to represent a phenomenon,but is the word "TIME" able to represent all that the phenomenon "is".Time is infinite and you are trying to define infinite,the minute you define time you are limiting it and tell me how can you limit that which is "infinite".
So each defination will fall short or will misrepresent/underrepresent the phenomenon as the word "Time" does.

Jas Malik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:34 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

So JAS,
What is your theory on time? Not defintion, because I do see what you mean. We are all wasting our time trying to define what time IS. But what do you think about the theories that are out there, such as the theory that time is like a tree, creating a new "Branch" upon every decision? I am just curious what you think of the various theories out there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next