Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Lady-like
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:27 pm 
QuoteSage
QuoteSage

Hello. I have an on-going discussion about the meaning of being "lady-like". It seems to be a lost art, and so the exact meaning is unclear. Does anyone have any thoughts on the meaning, to be "lady like"?

And while your at it, how important do you think it is for this day and age, besides having some jobs that may require it?

Your imput would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:13 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

No offense intended, but this is something i
Quote:
hate
with a loathing. Sure, people should act with a general level of manners, but i think being 'lady-like' is going too far.

Ive always seen it as being a very false act. Pretending to be kind and courteous just because your expected too. I undertstand that if you truly have respect for someone then extended manners can be considered appropriate, but to act for the simple sake of wanting to be considered 'lady-like' is something that really ticks me off.

hope i didnt offend you, but thats just the way i feel about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:22 am 
QuoteSage
QuoteSage

None taken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:00 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Quote:
how important do you think it is

Not very unless you are a part of the upperer classes (i.e. are titled) but in that case I guess you wouldn't need to ask.

Seriously I think, like Nemesis, that it will pretty much be a false act. You be better being yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:22 pm 
QuoteSage
QuoteSage

So, do you think this is how our generation generally feels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:36 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:38 pm 

I don't think that being 'lady-like' is all that important. Sure it has some influence on how people think about you for a first impression, but if you let people actually get to know you then it doesn't matter at all. Thats my view of the issue Halliberry. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:51 pm 
QuoteSage
QuoteSage

Thank you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:32 pm 

Act like a lady just means to be polite and civil. The male equivalent is to be a gentleman.

On a related note, I don't like female sports teams being called ladies. Call them women. I want them to play like women, not ladies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:18 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Sigsfried, interesting you relate it to the upper classes because when someone acts lady-like or gentlemanly they're considered to be acting with class--kind of the generic equivalent. I haven't ever thought of it that way but it fits.

The edit mentioned below relates to a spelling error not a change in content.

Last edited by Farsix on Mon May 23, 2005 10:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:27 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Well just look at the phrase lady-like lady is techniacally a title (married to a Lord I think) so it means behaving in the manner of a lady (a titled person).
Further more theese kind of things today are only valued by the Upper classes anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:40 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I think everyone should aspire to be respectful and polite but I agree with everyone else; acting "lady-like" is typically putting on a false persona and it is unecessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:19 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

In my view, the term lady-like is the female to "gentleman". It is simply a possibly false way of acting and speaking that was put in place for the same reason many other formalities have been put in place. It is sign of respect for those around you, and also whatever it is you may be doing. It is in no way how a modern lady should act all the time, as that would be out of place in today's society. She should be courteous and civil, but not lady like in the manner I assume you guys are talking. I look at acting Lady-like the same way I do bowing, wearing belts, and calling my instructor by his title in my martial arts class. I do not know exactly why we do it, because order would be kept all the same without all those things, but tradition is HUGE. I just believe that being lady-like and gentlemanly is a lost art that should be retrieved by the middle and lower classes in the case of a fancy night out, or just because. We need to keep some of our past... But that's just my view.

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:03 am 

being ladylike is the pride of every woman, it's not pretense as the average mind would say but simply being well mannered and cultured and at the same time having the strength of a woman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:33 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

being lady-like is simply being polite, not snobbish or dependent (damsile in destess like) but rather showing respeckt, having class ext.

Edit: hay did my post count go down:?: