Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: no real point
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:32 am 

I was just browsing this site, as I often do at work (its been a slow week eh!) And i think that this is possibly my new favourite quote! I may just be very overtired, but this amuses me to no ends!

Quote:
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.
W. C. Fields (1890 - 1946)

Do you guys ever think like, hey I wonder who these people are who post on here? What's it like in Florida, Ontario, England right now? WHat do they do for a living? I think that is fun to do! I dont think Im a very good guesser though...haha. :lol:

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:55 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yeah, I wonder about all our regular posters, too, and about where they live and what their lives are like. For me, the most magical thing about the Internet is the instant connection of people who live at vast geological distances yet can find a little intellectual intimacy in a little forum like this.

For me, much of the allure is in the wondering. To know too much about each other might destroy the mystery that draws us together. This forum is the only place I've ever "met" people online (I've never been in a chat room), and I would be afraid to meet the regular posters in real life because I would lose this great mystery. Others here have said they enjoy coming face to face with the people they originally met online, and maybe one day I'll find out what that's like, too. But for now, I know it's the mystery of kind of knowing each other but not completely that keeps bringing me back.

I think posting online is sort of like wearing a mask, and I've always been fascinated by what people choose to reveal about themselves or how they choose to behave when they're wearing a literal or metaphorical mask. It doesn't mean that anyone here is false -- I believe what we see here is a true part of each person's self. We just get to choose what we show through what we say, and I really enjoy the fascinating, tantalizing results. We know enough to peak interest and care a little about each other, but not enough to "breed contempt." It's also a very civil forum, kudos to mgm, in contrast to many others where blowhards often take over, so it's a nice, safe place to visit with others who are interested in quotations and words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:50 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

We luv Luna! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:08 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

You are such a nut! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:14 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I am a cashew what are U? :lol:
--------------------------------------

The finest of the fine nuts is harmony in human edeavors.

--Turtle Island Preserve, North Carolina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:53 pm 

life is like a box of chocolates, you never know if your neighbours are nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:54 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have been called a nut before and I can assure you that it is not the worst thing that I have been called. :) I also get emails from folks that I do not know and they use such words as amazing. "You are amazing!" One guy sent me an email and said that I had a gift for rhetoric.

Speaking of nuts, when I was in the third grade the geography teacher taught us that Brazil nuts came from Brazil. We also learned that the Amazon Indians lived in huts they built from thatch. One day I drew a sketch of an Amazon Indian Hut. The teacher wents nuts over the quality of the art and asked me more than once if I really drew that sketch? I told to her that I did. She entered the drawing in the art display at the County Fair and I one a Blue Ribbon for it. They even paid me $2.00 in prize money.

Post subject: Identity
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:07 am 

I agree with Luna. The air of mystery surrounding the people that you can talk to over the internet helps to take away the boringness of why I originally found this sight. I set out looking for a quote for a piece of coursework, but found it so interesting that I kept coming back. It's nice to know that people can judge you y your interests and personalities and not by the way you look, or the accent that you talk with. It gives us all one universal look, and one universal language, so that everyone of us may be treat as an equal! I don't know of any other device tat allows us to do such a thing. Keep up the good work. Loz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:18 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It's great to have you as a regular on this forum, Loz--you fit in so well with your thoughtful contributions.

I like knowing about the places people on the forum are from because it tells something interesting about them without removing that mask of mystery. I've been to London, Salisbury, Stratford, and wherever Windsor Castle is, but that's about it for my travels in England; where is Cumbria? Is it in Thomas Hardy country, or is that guess way off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:22 am 

Nice of you to comment Luna. Cumbria is in the very north west of England, just below Scotland. It is also known as the lake district for obvious reasons. It is a very beautiful place to live, and it would be a nice place for you to visit if you were in England again. Famous poets like William Wordsworth lived in Cumbria, and it has alot of very interesting history. What's it like where you live? Aything of an real interest? I agree that it is really interesting to find out more about where other people live and there opinions of it. Talk soon, Loz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:35 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ah -- the Lake District. Isn't there a place there called "Grasmere"? I seem to remember Dorothy Wordsworth's journals are about the time she and William lived there . . . they all did a lot of walking since it's such beautiful country. You're right; I'll have to visit.

The coast of South Carolina is very beautiful, and the living is very laid back and easy. It's a temperate climate except for the occasional fierce hurricane, which can dramatically affect the landscape by ruining buildings, uprooting trees, leaving boats in the middle of the highway, etc. After Hurricane Hugo, they found shark and octopus carcases in trees. But mostly, it's gorgeous. The coast is peppered with beach towns, tourist meccas sporting golf courses, t-shirt shops, pavilions. I prefer the few "old" beach towns that are left, with beachfront diners serving hotdogs and beer, arcades featuring skeeball and pinball, and beaches full of fishers, surfers, and shell-gatherers sharing the sea. Nowadays there's a lot of development, with monster shopping/restaurant/theater/theme park complexes that require miles of parking lots. The restaurant chains put the quaint local places out of business, and jet skis run riot over the waves even when children are playing in the surf.

For the past four months, I've worked in California, about 2 hours away from where thenostromo lives. I took advantage of weekends to spend time in Monterey, Tahoe, San Francisco, Napa. The West coast is very, very beautiful. The Pacific Ocean is much wilder than the Atlantic, and the seaside landscape is mountainous, with rocky cliffs looking over the sea, in contrast to the flatter southern East coast, where dunes are the highest element of the landscape. Where the East coast is humid (even tonight, and it's December!), the West coast air is warm and silky. I can see why SO MANY great songs have been written about California.

But it's nice to be back home, finally, and I hope this time, for good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:12 am 

You are right, Grasmere isn't very far away from my sixth form college. We have the poetry of William Wordsworth forced on us from such a young age that it is really hard to appreicate it now though. I is easy to understand why alot of poets spend time here. It is an ideal place to gaher thoughts. Once you are away from the big towns the air is so tranquil and calm, it is hard not to forget all of the problems you had on arrival. It's quite nice how literature can unite people isn't it. Have fun, take care, Loz