Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:36 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

sometimes they dont have the choice. They have been baught up on a diet of religion for their entire lives, it is such an ingrained part of their universe, they cant even begin to question it.

But then others find comfort and solice in it. Protection from hardships in life.

Quote:
The afterlife to keep your eyes off bitter pills you take today

Science cant offer a life after death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:29 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

This is true but are we willing to let fear rule our philosophy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:11 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

As I said once before. The way the mind learns is this. We experience something that makes us curious and we question it. We then seek further interaction to solve the problem and answer our question. After this we adjust our behavior basde on our new understanding and form a belief.

At some earlier time it seems that philosophy would ask the relevant questions, science would answer them and religion we be a practice for the people developed from the answers. Whoever separated them all is responsible for the corruption. Today religion rejects the answers and the questions. I suspect Alexander the Great is responsible when he burned the library. He wanted the people to be ruled by religion instead of knowledge. if I am not mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:04 pm 
QuoteSage
QuoteSage

sigsfried wrote:
Here I am being sceptical again.
Why do we trust what is written in the Bible when we know it has been used to control people?

Hi sigsfried, here is my own thoughts on this. I guess I personaly don't get caught up in the details of the Bible, because I have seen the irregularities, and inconsistacies. It's more like reading an Aesop's Fable. I don't think too hard about whether or not a tortoise actually raced a hare. I look for the lesson or moral of the story at the end. I think dwelling on the details takes away from this.

Perhaps the Bible is fiction, and has been used wrongly. I like Nemesis' idea of it's people doing it and not the Bible. You know the old cliche, guns don't kill people, people kill people. There are some stories or verses in there that I suppose could be used wrongly, but then again it's all about how you interpret it. Even the Devil can quote the Bible to his advantage.

I think if your looking for a negative way to use the Bible, or life for that matter, you'll find it. The same goes if your a positive person. I strongly believe in Karma, and you usually find and get out of life what you put into it.

Sorry, I don't mean to be so long-winded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

You know I have to respond Halliberry because this is my topic. Two things.
Quote:
I guess I personaly don't get caught up in the details of the Bible, because I have seen the irregularities, and inconsistacies. It's more like reading an Aesop's Fable. I don't think too hard about whether or not a tortoise actually raced a hare. I look for the lesson or moral of the story at the end. I think dwelling on the details takes away from this.

1] With this you are right. Although the Bible has problems in translation there are still very clear and relevant messages that can be found. 2] Those who teach the Bible to others should make this point clear instead of claiming it to be the divine word of God. That would make it infallable. This is not the case. Those who believe that remain confused and reinforce mystery. This prevents good judgment and supresses awareness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:16 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

excuse me = infallible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:22 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

But i dont think the church, or any religion based on the Bible, is going to say that they were wrong after this long. "ooops, our bad. It wasnt really God who said these things, its was some guy who SAW God".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:36 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

What do you mean by " Saw God" ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:31 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

just ignore that. I was trying to be sarcastic but it doesnt work too well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:48 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Oh... OK