Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:17 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Has anyone noticed that in the book of Genesis that man was created twice? In the first chapter man was created on the 6th day in the image and likeness of God.
Quote:
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness,

In the second chapter man was created somewhere between the first and second day.
Quote:
When the LORD God made the earth and the heavens- 5 and no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth [b] and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth [c] and there was no man to work the ground, 6 but streams [d] came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground- 7 the LORD God formed the man [e] from the dust of the ground

This time man was made not in the image and likeness of God but from the dust of the ground. Also the man in chapter two was created before the man in chapter one.

The man in chapter two was not allowed to eat from the tree of knowledge.
The man in chapter one was free to eat all of the fruit.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:05 pm 

Never noticed it, but interesting if its right...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:27 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Check it out Zreeon, and then get back to me. There is more than this that I have found. Things that will never allow you to see the world the same way again.

I fear most of what we have been taught has nothing to do with the way that things actually are.

It's time to wake up Neo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:28 am 

Well it makes sense that there are conflicts such as this in the bible. The bible is merely another form of mythology. It exists to explain certain things in nature and ofcourse the existance of nature. It isn't all necessarily true. But I do enjoy you pointing this out Phix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:40 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Fanatic, I have studied the Bible for that very reason. I figure, if people are going to structre an entire belief system on the information inside of it, the fact and the fiction should be made clear to them. This is what it seems to me_

Certain parts of it , like the book of proverbs, the teachings of Jesus and others, make comments on basic human nature and can be tested, which
I have done. My conclusion, it is consistent with reality and so I determine it to be true. Then there are other parts, just by reading one can see, that do not conform to reality, at least not in the translation we have available to us. I use scientific methods to study reality itself and in principle philosophy, there isn't much difference betweem Jesus and Einstein. These are the two greatest inspirations for my own work. Pure Science and pure religion cannot be mutually exclusive of each other, here is why.

Through observation, philosophers ask profound and relevant questions.
Scientist use techniques and methods to find the answers.
Religion is supposed to take the answers and develop a practice for the people. The state, in the end, maintains it.

The key to peaceful coexistence. We don't need one we already one, we just need to follow it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:30 am 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

Phix, you are right... there are some things that are contradicting in the Holy Bible.... The birth date, the general calculation on the number of warriors in the battle, prediction dates... I'll have to search more for accurate details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:47 pm 
QuoteSage
QuoteSage

Phix, what kind of Bible do you have? Try getting a study Bible. It will help with many questions.

The verse you refer to in Chapter 2 is explained in my side notes...

This sentence (the start of verse 5) may begin at verse 4b, "At the time the Lord God made the earth, and the heavens, then no shrub of the field was as yet in the earth.." The kind of plants referred to here are those requiring cultivation, which (though green plants appeared the third day, 1:11-12) did not grow until after there was a man to take care of them.

Does this help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:54 pm 

Thats interesting..... It is all up to interperatation though. One person might think that God did in fact create man twice others may think that it was just a glitch. Its all subject to interperatation. As for me, I'm not sure what I belive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:54 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Halliberry, Do this for me. Get a notebook and get a pen. List it from 1-7. Then go to Genesis chapter one and and list each event according to the day.

Then next to that list 1- 7. Go to Genesis chapter 2 and do the same thing. Then look at what you have and tell me if it is the same. Do it right now and then come back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:06 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

My point exactly Balecirithiel, it causes confusion. If God wrote it, it wouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:17 pm 
QuoteSage
QuoteSage

Chapter 2 begins with describing what happened exactly on day 7. After that it just goes into detail of each event. It does NOT say what day those events occured.
It's like ticking off the events on your finger, (and when they occured), and then later going into a more detailed conversation of the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:25 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Thats not right. Chapter two says :
Quote:
This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created.

When the LORD God made the earth and the heavens- 5 and no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth [b] and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth [c] and there was no man to work the ground, 6 but streams [d] came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground- 7 the LORD God formed the man [e] from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

You gotta start from verse 4. Man comes before vegetation. Pay attention to the details or you will miss the facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:29 pm 

Good. I'm glad to see someone has the same view as I. I think that people will belive what they want to belive, and in some cases not what the facts tell them. This whole subject is controversial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:10 pm 
QuoteSage
QuoteSage

Does it in verse four say anything about a particular day? no
Does it say what day each of these events take place in verse four? no

4- These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens,
5- And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
6- But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
7- And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his notrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

*4- in the day The creation week is not specified as a single day by this phrase; rather, without the article "the", it means "at the time"
-as written in sidenotes

This is all I will say on this matter. Take it as you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:33 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

No it doesn't show the day but it does show the sequence.