Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: The Law: Good or Bad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:49 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

For my philosphy homework I was asked to come up with some pro's and con's of having laws. Having got some I wondered what others opinions would be.
Pro's
+ Acts as deterrent.
+ Improsenment takes criminals off the streets making re-offending hard.
Con's
- Restriction of liberty
- Assuming a determenistic world is it fair to punish people for crimes
- "The good do not need the law to tell them what is right the bad will ignore it anyway"
- Without the law people may take more responsibility for there actions.

Anything else would be appricated as I will undoubtably be set an essay on this.

Overall I think that some laws are necessary but think that two things should never be done by the legal system:
1. Detention without trial
2. Execution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:24 pm 

I do believe that, as humans, we need an external body to steer us clear of ourselves, hence the creation of religions, governments, judicial systems, etc... But the problem lies in finding a system that fits everyone in the same way. If I may, I'd like to use a metaphor to better express myself; let's see the judicial system as a jogging suit. We all have different bodies, therefore we each wear exercise clothes that is reflective of our proportions. But since we are looking for one common outfit ( judicial national), here are the hypothetical options available to us:
1.a suit too big. Big and small may fit inside, but some will have more mobility than other.
2.No suit at all.
3. an elastic suit, like lycra. The fabric stretches adequatly, providing everyone with the ultimate fit.

the first option is what we have now. The second option would be total anarchy. the third is theoretically perfect, but impossible. but I'll get to that later.

Everyone will agree that not everyone has the same driving abilities, therefore 100 kmh to some might not be the same to others. Yet we all have to conform to the one size. and most of our laws are representative of this example. they are based on the average skill level of the population, short handing some, while giving too much to others. If our judicial system could be individually tailored, while keeping in pace with the charter of human rights, unfairness would be a thing of the past. but who is to be the tailor, who could claim to have that power? there is too much corruption, and the human differences are too blurry (and constantly changing within a lifetime) for it to be viable.

on a side note. WHAT IF we all had custom tailored laws, like our skin tight track suits that reveal every detail about us, good and bad ( like fat thighs, or big stomachs) ? I know that alot of people would be going to the GYM more often if they we're forced to wear revealing close all the time.

a step further. If we all started working hard to reduce our imperfections as a result of the skin tight suit, we would all gradually drift towards the same utopian body size ( more or less), nullifying the elastic properties! We'd be back to where we are now!!!

did anyone understand me?... seems kinda cloudy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:24 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Thanks. It made some sense. Not that I agree with your final conclusion though. Don't see why someone who could drive fast safely if allowed to would chose not to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:21 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

To matfitz
Quote:
the third is theoretically perfect, but impossible.

Quote:
but who is to be the tailor, who could claim to have that power? there is too much corruption, and the human differences are too blurry

Quote:
WHAT IF we all had custom tailored laws, like our skin tight track suits that reveal every detail about us, good and bad ( like fat thighs, or big stomachs) ? I know that alot of people would be going to the GYM more often if they we're forced to wear revealing close all the time.

Quote:
If we all started working hard to reduce our imperfections as a result of the skin tight suit, we would all gradually drift towards the same utopian body size ( more or less), nullifying the elastic properties! We'd be back to where we are now!!!

Woah! Woah! Woah! This kind of talk against Utopia does more harn than good even if it is only used as an example. You assume far to much based on your own degree of awareness and understanding. Just because you do not see the solution or method does not mean it doesn't exist. This is one problem with the law.

To sigsfried = Make clear in your homework that the law as flawed because human perception is flawed. As we evolve so shall the systems that we live by. It isn't a true Utpoian state unless all things are considered.
If people feel forced to work out it is because of insecurities and they deny their own individuality in order to fit in. This is not Utopia.

All that man invents, including laws, he has done in an attempt to simulate the workings of a higher order. This order is perfect but our interpretation of it becomes erroneous because of perception. Through trial an error we improve as our awareness increases. This process stops only when man believes that his interpretation is perfect and in no need of improvement. This is what causes corruption.

It isn't the law but the arrogance of man,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:02 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Utopian things may not be possible. Aiming for them however may do more harm than good. Like communism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:26 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Sigsfried, anything is possible and practice, makes perfect.

Aiming for Utopia is what evolution is about.

What, do you worship the devil or something? Do you enjoy a certain degree of chaos and disorder?

If so we will never see eye to eye, as this would put us on opposing sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:40 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Quote:
Aiming for Utopia is what evolution is about.

Not ture Evolution is about being good enough to survive. Evolution never produces perfection but does produce intricate solutions that work well enough for the time being.

Quote:
What, do you worship the devil or something?

Easy one here: No.

Quote:
Do you enjoy a certain degree of chaos and disorder?

Would perfect order be good? If everything was perfectly ordered there would be no room to be an individual. Chaos is an inherent part of both us and our environment.
I think that disorder should be minimized but total control on people seems more abhorent to me than no control.

Just out of interest Phix are you in favour of the death penalty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:17 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

No, I am not in favor of the death penalty.

Now back to the point.

You are not thinking big enough.
Quote:
Not ture Evolution is about being good enough to survive. Evolution never produces perfection but does produce intricate solutions that work well enough for the time being.

I agree with you here, but keep going. Solving a problem makes a thing more perfect. Although this is not ultimate perfection, it moves one in the direction of it. What is the purpose of survival if not to grow.

Quote:
Would perfect order be good? If everything was perfectly ordered there would be no room to be an individual. Chaos is an inherent part of both us and our environment.
I think that disorder should be minimized but total control on people seems more abhorent to me than no control.

Would perfect order be good? Yes. This would give more room and freedom to be an individual. It would allow us to more easily identify the flaws of human frailty that limit our full capacity today.

Chaos is not inherent, that is an illusion of perception and awareness. Chaos is the result of imperfection and is partially eliminated each time we perfect a thing. In total perfection, chaos is completely eliminated.

Please, show me where I suggest control over people? I never said that. Remember you called me an anarchist? I am saying that with greater understanding and awareness people will be able to control themselves.

Sigsfried, I can tell your problem is text. You have been taught things a certain way, so when I say something, you think I mean it the way your instructor taught it to you. You will never learn to be an individual unless you learn to think on your own and question what you have been taught. You cannot hide behind someone else's ideas because the light of truth will expose you in time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:35 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Quote:
No, I am not in favor of the death penalty.

You see we can agree on something.

Quote:
I agree with you here, but keep going. Solving a problem makes a thing more perfect. Although this is not ultimate perfection, it moves one in the direction of it. What is the purpose of survival if not to grow.

The purpose of survival is to survive. Since your getting 1984 you may also want to by "The Selfish Gene" by Dawkins. Assuming you haven't read it yet.

Evolution is not aiming at perfection this is mainly due to all adapations neading short term benift only. This also means that we are left with a lot of evolutionary junk. This is stuff like the apendix that not only has no practicle value but can cause deasease.

Other intresting things can evovle that instead of aiming at perfection evolve in a way that an individual with it does better than an individual without it but the species is damaged by the gene.

Here is a simple example though arguably it is not a gentic example:

Some bats drink blood to surive. They have good nights and bad nights. On a bad night they drink blood regurtiated for them by bats who have had a good night.

A cheat evolves it drinks blood requritated but does not reguirtate it when needed to. It is at an advantage. However as evolution favours that gene we get more cheats until all are cheats then they start to die out as the cheats have noone to take blood of on bad nights.

Dawkins in his book plays that there is an intermediate state that prevents this he calls this the 'grudger' however since his book was published a bat species has gone into decline in Germany and all evidence suggests this is due to the evolution of a cheat.

Thus evolution has made something worse. A far cry indeed from your ideal evolution.

Quote:
You will never learn to be an individual unless you learn to think on your own and question what you have been taught

Don't worry one of the strongest critics of my teacher is me. I disagree with what he says a lot. Still I may not always be vocal in it but never fear that I accept everything unquestioningly.

Quote:
Would perfect order be good? Yes. This would give more room and freedom to be an individual.

I still disagree here. The more ordered a state becomes the more restrictive the laws become. E.g. Nazi Germany was incredably ordered but I can't belive people had more freedom then than they have today in Germany.

Order is enforced by laws. Laws restrict our freedom. Often this is worth it such as by banning murder to you give people more reason to feel safe making them have greater freedom. BUT total freedom is only possible in an anarcist state which as Betrand Russel (I think) said "Life outside society is nasty brutish and short"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:31 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
The purpose of survival is to survive. Since your getting 1984 you may also want to by "The Selfish Gene" by Dawkins. Assuming you haven't read it yet.
No I have not read it.

Quote:
Evolution is not aiming at perfection this is mainly due to all adapations neading short term benift only. This also means that we are left with a lot of evolutionary junk.
Try and view it more objectively.

Quote:
Some bats drink blood to surive. They have good nights and bad nights. On a bad night they drink blood regurtiated for them by bats who have had a good night.

Ill 8O :? That is nasty!

Quote:
Thus evolution has made something worse. A far cry indeed from your ideal evolution.
Let me be more specific. When I say evolution I mean the process of growth that takes one from a presently imperfect state, to a more perfected state. If this does not occur, it is not evolution. Evolution is the result of one's ability to solve problems. Do not blame evolution for the bat or the cheat who could not solve the problems before them.

Quote:
Don't worry one of the strongest critics of my teacher is me. I disagree with what he says a lot. Still I may not always be vocal in it but never fear that I accept everything unquestioningly.
Good, remember that always, and you will be fine.

Quote:
I still disagree here. The more ordered a state becomes the more restrictive the laws become.
Who said anything about a state. I speak of an organized mind promoting self-control. The states need to enforce will be greatly reduced and then hopefully, ultimately, eliminated.

Quote:
Order is enforced by laws. Laws restrict our freedom.
I agree. Laws have to restrict freedom when people cannot conduct themselves properly.

Quote:
BUT total freedom is only possible in an anarcist state which as Betrand Russel (I think) said "Life outside society is nasty brutish and short"
Again I agree. I don't suggest that we should have no society, I only point out that the one we have is far from perfect. Anarchy is to be without order. Utopia is to be without government control. These two are not dependent upon eachother.

There can be an established order without it coming from the government. There could be an institution to enforce it but not to create it.

The problem is that the government creates, interprets, and enforces the law. All of these duties served by the same entity. Since man is flawed and subject to evil and corruption, this system will not due. Because of this the government is able to develop a society separated from reality as it is today. We both agreed about the focus on celebrity.

The human mind cannot function efficiently without the truth. The truth can only be found within reality. By keeping the masses separate from it the government seeks to survive at the expense of mankind. Survival of the fittest. This is why I have said what is good for mankind is not also good for church or state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:30 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Quote:
When I say evolution I mean the process of growth that takes one from a presently imperfect state, to a more perfected state. If this does not occur, it is not evolution. Evolution is the result of one's ability to solve problems. Do not blame evolution for the bat or the cheat who could not solve the problems before them.

Evolution is a random process it does solve problems but it does not always solve them in a way we see as postive. This is becuase evolution only cares about short term survival not long term sirvival.

Quote:
The problem is that the government creates, interprets, and enforces the law

No. The goveremnts create the law. The courts interpretate it and the police enforce it theese areas are kept sepearate delibratly.

Quote:
The human mind cannot function efficiently without the truth

Really? Eductation after all is the process of telling lies to children.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:28 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Why Sigsfried, why, why, don't you understand what I say? You must solve short term problems to survive for the long term. Step back and look at it. Each time a problem is solved, the species is more evolved. It doesn't become perfect, but it becomes more advanced than it was either in knowledge or ability.
Quote:
No. The goveremnts create the law. The courts interpretate it and the police enforce it theese areas are kept sepearate delibratly.

Have you ever been to court for anything? Well I have, and when you go through that process you quickly see that it is a self-serving system. It looks out for itself. That separation is an illusion. In theory, based on the Constitution of the United States, America could be a very fine place. but because of human frailty the system is corrupted and human beings suffer.

Quote:
Really? Eductation after all is the process of telling lies to children.

Really! education is just that, I don't disagree. You seem to be very educated but you seem to be unable to understand simple things that I say. That is why I say that text is dangerous and should be tested with actual experience before it is accepted and believed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:32 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

To Mariantionette = After a conversation I had last night with some people I realized that one of the keys to human paradise is with women, but they don't want paradise and so, see no value in the key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:33 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

I don't know about in America but in this country the three branches are kept sepearate. The only exception to this is the House of Lords is both the highest Court of Appeal and the second chamber. However the Law Lords are kept sepearate within the house of lords so it is not really a problem.

There is even less control over the police by the goverenment. Whilst targets for police numbers etc. are set by goverenment the police is independant of the goverenment.