Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: "Men and Women" Quotes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:51 pm 

I came looking for inspirational quotes about women only to find that they were not under "W" but under "M" for "Men and Women." I hate to sound like some crazy femminist but I DO find that having "Women" under "Men" is a little sexist. I'm I alone in this?

Post subject: Men and Women
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:44 pm 

No you are not alone on this. I think it is very disrespectful to Women to be under the category Men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:59 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

I think that your reading a bit too much into that. Its probably not a deliberate thing but I wouldn't care if it was under women & men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is one of those situations where it's impossible to avoid offending someone. If the topic is "men and women" or "women and men" it has to be listed under one or the other.

Obviously the best answer is to separate the two... but then we create more potential offensiveness. Are there more "men" quotes than "women" quotes? And what about those that are about both?

I'll see what I can figure out, maybe it is time to separate them--but suggestions are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:11 pm 

Yeah I believe that the two should be separated because the other two ways is bound to offend someone :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:01 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

@mgm
If women are objecting to it being under men & women then change it to women & men if you get any complaints then maybe seperate the two. The only problem with this is people expect lists to be alphabetical but I don't think you'll get many complaints if you change the order

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:35 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

To Mkay34 = What you are saying is ridiculous. A woman is a type of man. A man with a womb. All mankind means women to. This is nonsense and no, I'm not giving you that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:32 pm 

You cannot define a women just on physical characteristics compared to a man, they are all very different in their own special way. I know I may be emphasising more differences between us, but it is these differences that makes us unique and it should not be underestimated or go ignored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:55 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yes Lexic Dark, there are differences, but women are still a part of mankind. Maybe some of the differences you speak of are due to their roles in society, but that would be by nurture, not nature. The primary difference between men and women is gender. Gender is defined by their biological role. Man and woman are like seed and soil, both are necessary for the production of new human life. Whether that new human life is male or female, it is a part of mankind.

Look at the words Man _ Wo-man / Male _ Fe-male

This is no reason for dispute.

Maybe Mkay34 is just bored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:34 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Being a woman, I need to ask your perspective on a thing, but first, in what part of the world do you live?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:54 pm 

Phix-

Yes a women is a human, but they are NOT men. They are totally different. You said you were a women: How would you feel if everybody in the whole world just randomly started calling you a man. They would never refer to you as a women ever again. Then how would you feel.

Women are not the same as men. Both anatomically and mentally. There are a few exceptions though, I will admit to that. But I for one would hate it if some stranger came up to me and imediatly assumed I was the opposite gender.

And another thing, why is mankind called mankind? Have you ever thought about that? Why is it not called humankind. I for one would like it to be refered to as that. That way niether men nor women would feel supirior or inferior. I hope you don't take offense Phix. I am just trying to voice my own opinion. Please don't think that this an attack on you personally. I am just voicing my opinion on the matter and I happen to disagree with you.

Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:10 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Balecirithiel _

You have got it all wrong dude, I am not a woman. Lets make that clear first. I was referring to Mariantionette.

Quote:
Yes a women is a human, but they are NOT men. They are totally different. You said you were a women: How would you feel if everybody in the whole world just randomly started calling you a man. They would never refer to you as a women ever again. Then how would you feel.

Lift your mind higher. A woman is a type of man. Wo-man. Technically, a woman is a man with a womb once you consider all life on earth. Saying mankind is appropriate because it means all kinds of man. If someone called me woman, it would be incorrect as I do not have a womb.

These types of arguments are designed to divide the human family. I give the middle fingure to those who taught you to start them for the sake of debate. There is really no grounds for it and it is strictly based on a lack of awareness of the english language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:42 pm 

Sorry for mistakenly calling you a women. I thought when you said
Quote:
Being a woman, I need to ask your perspective on a thing,

I thought you meant that you were a woman. Lets just agree to disagree on this matter, because I highly doubt that we are going to come to a consensus. I hope you accept my apologies. :mrgreen:

Sincerely,

Balecirithiel 8)

Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:44 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Cool Cool. :)