Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Yoga Anyone?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:02 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yesterday evening I took my first formal Yoga class. It was a mixed experience. Since I am new and since I am stiff as a stick of seasoned hickory and since I am learning to breathe, the first session was a bit like torture. Since I was the only male in the class it was a little bit fun. My other class mates seemed to be affluent, attractive women between the ages of 30 and 40. The instructor was a 55-year old woman who could pass for 45. We worked on the Cobra and other postures.

During the last 15 minutes of the session we got to lie flat on the pad with a towell under our head and a pad under our knees. The instructor played soft nature music and turned out the lights and put a cold pack over my eyes. This part of the class was a bit like heaven. I could hear the tweety birds singing and the gentle sounds of spring water trickling. When this ended I was so relaxed that I could hardly get up off the floor. My classmates were friendly and I felt a bit energized during the hours following the session.

If anyone has experiences with Yoga then I would invite you to share them on this thread.

Post subject: yoo
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:56 am 

I don't take formal yoga, per-say; however i have an hour of stretch and stregth classes every week. After sweating and stretching for 40 min we always turn on the relaxation music for the last 20 and work on our breathing. It is so relaxing just being able to turn the lights out and clear your mind. No matter how stressed out one may feel, having the sound of a light rain waft through your mind while laying on the floor will cure all ailments ( at least the emotional kind) I strongly reccomend "yoga" to anyone, and everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:12 pm 

Quite a few years ago I read "Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation" by Jess Stearn. I see it is still in my collection, and seriously think that I need to read it again. It is an excellent read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:16 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

http://www.santosha.com/

I found this to be an informative sight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:27 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

King of Serpents, Lord of Death--
What has four eyes and fatal breath?

http://www.santosha.com/asanas/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:16 pm 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

The Best form of Yoga is "Ramdev Yoga"....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:19 am 

My interest in yoga was piqued when I started study and practice of martial arts. A rootstem that long ago diverged is the martial rhizoid. I enjoy the explosive dynamic strength of martial arts, but recently have awakened old yearns and jealosies of the suppleness and contemplative calm that inhabits the yogi. Fortunately, I am now in a position to start new practices, thanks to new work schedules. I start this week.

Thank you for the link to the yoga site. It has much of what I've been looking for in a succinct format.