Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Passion, the movie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:20 pm 

I was just wondering, what is your take on the new movie "Passion" by Mel Gibson, the story of Jesus' last 12 hours? I just want to see what you all think. Thanks.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:23 am 

Kinda hard to give an opinion of a movie I haven't seen. Based on all the controversy, it should be a big hit.
http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/passion.htm
Quote:
The film is currently scheduled for release on Ash Wednesday, February 25, 2004
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... bson.film/

Post subject: The Passion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:30 pm 

I have now seen the movie, I couldn't use any words to exlain it. It was very powerful, very moving and indescribably indesribable. I want to see what others think of those who have seen it. Thank you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:26 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have not seen the movie. My wife and daughter went to see it on Sunday, March 5th. They made no voluntary comments about the movie when they returned. After a day or two I asked the Queen Bee about it? She said it was realistic. She implied that it was overly violent. She said that Mel Gibson did a good job of emphasizing the pain and suffering.

I was tempted to go see it but I felt like I was being manipulated to see it by all the free publicity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:27 pm 

I haven't seen it; I might wait for the video. It's a story/screenplay that has been done numerous times in the past except for the exceptional violence which has been notched up to present day movie standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:31 pm 

I have seen the movie, and i was deeply moved by it.

My favorite scene is when, after Jesus is scourged badly by the Romans, he is presented with his cross, which he wraps his arms around. One of the other prisoners, seeing his actions, accosted him saying "Why do you embrace your cross, you fool?"

At that point, I could not help but be gripped by the fact that I knew the answer to that question without even having to hear Jesus' reply: He was taking hold of it for my sake, to pay for my sins.

It was indeed a masterful movie and I was transformed by Mel Gibson's bold and brilliant portrayal of this brilliant piece of biblical history.

Why, it must be the woman in the world most beautiful!"

-Cyrano de Bergerac

Post subject: The Passion
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:44 am 

Phantom_Delta wrote:
I have not seen the movie. My wife and daughter went to see it on Sunday, March 5th. They made no voluntary comments about the movie when they returned. After a day or two I asked the Queen Bee about it? She said it was realistic. She implied that it was overly violent. She said that Mel Gibson did a good job of emphasizing the pain and suffering.

I was tempted to go see it but I felt like I was being manipulated to see it by all the free publicity.

Not quite sure what you maen by free publicity, did you read or ever hear Mel Gibson's life story ???
However I have yet to see the movie !
I read how the so called Vatican has given the silent O.K. to it ,in the hope they will not offend the Jewish religion by doing so! Playing as always, both sides of the fence! how typical of this present day " Pope " and his personal old fashioed idea's ! No divorce, no birth control, no acceptable safe sex! And So now how can " HE " ever justify Aids ! ?????
To be honest , I dont really need to see the movie, I have never, nor will I ever doubt my faith or my belief in that faith, but I do question the so called people that are appointed to carry out and deliver that faith ! I really dont need a movie to bring me running to them ! As I keep reading that is what is now happening ! Sorry thats my way of thinking,my God is right here in my living room ! And I dont have to cover up for him !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:09 pm 

I saw the movie when it first came out and thought it was great. It is great that you have a strong faith but I personally disagree with your reason of not seeing it. I don’t doubt my faith either but I didn’t realize what he actually did until seeing this movie. In all the other Jesus movies made they have shown him not cut or bruised at all when on the cross. They don’t even show him being beaten or criticized. This film shows you how real it was. This film will also give you something to talk about with "Non-believers". Your faith shouldn't be the reason you don’t see the movie it should be the reason you do see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:04 am 

All biases aside, I believe this to be the best movie of the year. I realize that the movie moved slowly, but that was just an effect that Gibson was using to put the story in a movie in its entirety. The movie had great cinematic value. Each shot was executed with perfection. As for the subtitles, I couldn’t imagine the movie without them. I think it was an intelligent choice to try and keep the story as close to the original, told in the gospels of the Bible. Had the dialogue been in English it would have made the movie seem too modern and also there would have been that generic colloquial quality about it. The violence, I believe, was just a crucial as the Aramaic and Hebrew dialogue. Preservation, not glamorization was needed to make this film work. Gibson’s finest work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:39 pm 

Where shall I begin.

To be brutally honest, I was laughing all through the movie. I mean hell, we hear about his life story yada yada yada. Did they really have to make a motion picture on it?

I mean come on,, it was stupid and pointless. The only thing that was good, was the voilence I suppose. But even a cynic such as I can know where to stop.

I don't care what people think of me, I thought it was a load of Sh!t. But that is just my intake...

Anubis

"It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:44 am 

As a strong believer in Jesus Christ, I think the movie is a great wake -up call to churches, people-saved or not-,and the world. I just hope that people allow themselves to be moved by the passion, because God's passion and love for us shines through it with such brilliance that how one can not see it is beyond me.

Oh, God, how I weep for your return! The world is yet dark and cold, and I would warm my hands and heart in your light!

Anubis Serreta, I am praying for you, friend. Just as I pray for myself and for all the world!

Bethany

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:11 pm 

The movie is not in my top 30 list of the best films of 2004. I would be hard pressed to include it in my top 40.

From a screenwriter's perspective (I judge films by its quality), it's not good. Not by a long shot. Replace the Jesus character with Joe Schmo and you would have a film that would be widely recognized as among the worst in 2004. Those who "loved" the movie didn't love it because of its film quality, but because it reinforced their previous existing faith. That does not make a movie great. It is one of the worst christian movies of the last 50 years.