Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: What the.......
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:19 pm 

What has happened to humanity? Has it become a sore that must be vanquished? It seems that all we, as humans, do is kill, injure, maime, and destroy what we create.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:49 pm 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Some quotes for thoughts:

Cry about the simple hell people give other people - without even thinking. Cry about the hell white people give coloured folks, without even stopping to think that they're people, too."
-Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird

The Goddamn human race deserves itself, and as far as I'm concerned it can have it.
- Elizabeth Janeway

The decay of decency in the modern age, the rebellion against law and good faith, the treatment of human beings as things, as the mere instruments of power and ambition, is without a doubt the consequence of the decay of the belief in man as something more than an animal animated by highly conditioned reflexes and chemical reactions. For, unless man is something more than that, he has no rights that anyone is bound to respect, and there are no limitations upon his conduct which he is bound to obey.
- Walter Lippmann

Such is the human race. Often it does seem such a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat.
- Mark Twain

Cruelty has a Human Heart,
And jealousy a Human Face;
Terror the Human Form Divine,
And secrecy the Human Dress.
The Human Dress is forged Iron,
The Human Form a Fiery Forge,
The Human Face a Furnace seal'd,
The Human Heart its hungry gorge.
- William Blake

I have found little that is "good" about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all. That is something that you cannot say aloud, or perhaps even think.
- Sigmund Freud

Post subject: response to humanity.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:54 pm 

What has happened to humanity?
Good question here, but as humans we also have in the faculity of our minds the ability to love et show virtue in numerous ways like no other species. Don't recall who said it, but someone said this is a wonderful world and worth fighting for... Sean Connary I believe added he wasn't sure about the first, but confident about the second. I must agree, for if it not worth fighting for why bother living? As bad as things have been for me it is only this hope for humanity that has kept me alive and determied to live... What do you think? :?:

Post subject: Re: What the.......
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:44 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

welshpendragon wrote:
What has happened to humanity? Has it become a sore that must be vanquished? It seems that all we, as humans, do is kill, injure, maime, and destroy what we create.

And what would you do to change the world?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:25 pm 

We must rise to the mountaintop, from which we can see the past and the breadth of humanity, at least for some distance. See what has happened to humanity, and use our knowledge of the problems which are confronted in the centers of power, to use the very horror of what has been done, the crimes that are being committed in Africa, to use that as a lever, to force people to discover, within themselves--including the President of the United States--to discover the {passion} to do what is necessary to save all humanity.
~ Speech by Lyndon LaRouche, April 1997
http://www.schillerinstitute.org/conf-i ... _4_97.html

What has happened to humanity? Have we all become too wrapped up in our own little worlds and the petty rules of corporations and government to react to people as human-beings?
http://www.thisislewisham.co.uk/news/da ... eberg.html

For St. Augustine: The total sovereignty of God and genuine human responsibility and freedom must be upheld at one and the same time, if justice is to be done to the richness and complexity of the biblical
statements on the matter. To simplify the matter, a denial of either the sovereignty of God or human freedom, is to seriously compromise the Christian understanding of the way in which God justifies man.
St. Augustine’s basic ideas can be summarized as follows. First, natural human freedom is affirmed: we do not do things out of any necessity, but as a matter of freedom. Second, human free will has been weakened and incapacitated – but not eliminated or destroyed – through sin. In order for that human will to be restored and healed, it requires the operation of divine grace. Free will really does exist; it is, however, distorted by sin. In order to explain this point, St. Augustine deploys a significant analogy.
Consider a pair of scales, with two balance pans. One balance pan represents good, and the other evil. If the pan were properly balanced, the arguments in favor of doing good or doing evil could be weighed,
and a proper conclusion drawn. The parallel with the human free will is obvious: We weigh up the arguments in favor of doing good and evil, and act accordingly. But what, asks St. Augustine, if the balance pans are loaded? What happens if someone puts several heavy weights in the balance pan on the side of evil? The scales will still work, but they are seriously biased toward making an evil decision. St. Augustine argues that this is exactly what has happened to humanity through sin. The human free will is biased toward evil. It really exists, and really can make decisions – just as the loaded scales still work. But instead of giving a balanced judgment, a serious bias exists toward evil. Using this and related analogies St. Augustine argues that the human free will really exists in sinners, but that it is compromised by sin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:45 am 

What happen to humanity?
What happened? Well, did we really ever change? I don't think so, I mean sure we have new technology but at the heart we're still the same. We're still just trying to survive. We're just go about it the wrong way. I can't make any excuses for humanity(we've done some pretty horrble things to world and to other humans). But, I'm a human, your a human and well there's nothing we can do but try to make it better ourselves.
Here's a quotation that should make you think and this one's applicable on everyone:
~Everyone thinks about changing the world but no one thinks about changing themselves.
(I don't know who said that though)

I think maybe if people would try to make themselves better people then maybe we wouldn't ask ourselves what happened to humanity. Of course don'T take my word for it I still need to change myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:34 pm 

ah. But we don't create. We only rearange what God has blessed us with. Within ourselves, our own humanity, there would be only empty words to that question. Thank God we don't get justice. Thank God we don't make our own future. Thank God we can't lift a finger outside of His will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:33 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Laughs, not if you're a fatalist like metta, Etania.

Does God mystically imbue us with ideas so that we may create? Throughout history it has been the creators of man that produce and inspire progression, did God create the industrial revolution? Of course not, it took the invention of new machinery from the greatest minds, James Watt et al. together to further mankind to a new age of prosperity.

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:47 pm 

seems that I've stepped out on the offending foot. Fear not, I do not come to evangelize the heathens. I probably should have kept that little opinion to myself.
*smile*
I do not believe that the starting quote is correct. Though it could describe certian times and people throughout history.

One of the simplist way we can change an image like that is by respecting our fellowman, go about life looking for ways to give happyness to others. Be it a smile or a kind word.