Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:55 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Look at our children.

We hire a doctor to put a syringe in their arms - painful and scary - to give them an antidote for their disease. We discipline them, keeping them from certain goods and privileges; or, back in the day, we would spank them and cause them pain. We tell them "no" and set boundaries. Why do we do these things? None of these make our children feel good or feel loved. In fact, they can lead our children to hate us! But we love them. Love is a verb.

It is a not a feeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:16 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Or a verb, or an adjective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:24 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Could you expound upon your response, please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:15 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

DSW wrote:
Or a verb, or an adjective.

Love is a noun. There is x amount of love in the world.

Love is a verb. I love you.

Love is an adjective. Love child.

And yet love is not a feeling? While we're at it, let us split hairs and get all caught up in the difference between feelings and emotions.

In the end, it's difficult to be young and confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:17 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

And it's difficult to be brought up believing in religion and all the while attempting to make the contradictions that one notes fit in to one's religious beliefs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:21 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Tommy GS wrote:
Lastly, no one has answered my question: in your opinion: is it possible to be angry at someone you love (if love is an emotion, or a feeling)? If so, isn't that contradictory?

So, Tommy, do you look at this in terms of yes or no, black or white? So why is loving someone all the while being angry at he/she who one loves such a stretch for you Tommy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:34 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

To love someone and be angry at their actions is not the same as being angry at the person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:22 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Anajo wrote:
Love is a noun. There is x amount of love in the world.

Love is a verb. I love you.

Love is an adjective. Love child.

Ohhh, "love child". Good one. I was struggling to think of love as an adjective. Ok, good, I agree with the above. Now - to say that love is a noun - which indeed it is - is not to give it an entirely different meaning. We know what the noun is because we know what the verb is. True? (That is the best way I can articulate such a statement... if someone would care to try and put my opinion in another way, it would help.)

Anajo wrote:
And it's difficult to be brought up believing in religion and all the while attempting to make the contradictions that one notes fit in to one's religious beliefs.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. If I've made contradictions, show me. I'm always willing to correct my thinking. Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what religion has to do with this discussion. I just want to know what love is. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OGfBGOCpk

Anajo wrote:
Tommy GS wrote:
Lastly, no one has answered my question: in your opinion: is it possible to be angry at someone you love (if love is an emotion, or a feeling)? If so, isn't that contradictory?

So, Tommy, do you look at this in terms of yes or no, black or white? So why is loving someone all the while being angry at he/she who one loves such a stretch for you Tommy?

Thank you. Whew. According to gumtree's understanding of love - a loving feeling, I don't know why I love you, but do, I can't help falling in love with you; or, you've lost that loving feeling, the thrill is gone - whenever we feel love, love exists; and whenever we don't feel love, love does not exist. So, if I am angry at someone, then I don't feel love. Or, if someone is angry at me, then I don't feel love. Therefore, love would not exist. Thus the basis of my question, how someone could feel anger and love at the same time.

Feeling anger toward a person, while simultaneously loving that person, is NOT a stretch. In fact, it is common and, even, natural. This indicates to me that love and feelings are not necessarily hand in hand.

DSW wrote:
To love someone and be angry at their actions, is not the same as being angry at the person.

I am inclined to agree to an extent; I am also inclined to disagree to an extent. For this reason: if I love myself, and I make a bad decision, then I am going to be angry at myself for making that bad decision. In this case, I am angry at, not only my actions, but my own person for committing those actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:16 am 

It will be true that There are grains of truth in all of these attributable to those particular cultures and may show up sometimes in how they deal with emotions, although that is a very broad brush and each individual will have a heap of other influences affecting their behaviour.