Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:23 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hi Che delighted to have you around and interesting to hear your viewpoints on the discussion.

I have just about shot my bolt on this one as the discussion comes up abruptly against two totally different beliefs or, in my case non belief, and therefore cannot really progress.

I can relate to your explanation of the need of a believer to evangelise by the secular comparisons of wanting to recommend to others something which has given personal benefit - as banal as a particular food or as life changing as a successful medical treatment. You're right, the need to share with others so they can also benefit is definitely strong.

I have never questioned that there are those who need a faith and gain comfort from it and for them a church as such, whatever faith, may provide their centre of community .

I do, indeed, cringe at

"If the Christian system of ethics is to survive into the 21st century and beyond, it shall need an institution where it will be unquestioningly upheld.....

because the right to question, disagree or re-assess any institution or system must always be available unless you propose autocracy - Che, I cannot believe that of you! :?

Also, although I see your point here

"By being a morally upright, compassionate, charitable person, you are already doing God's work and the work of your Church"

it is a statement open to question..

If all those qualities are genuine in those particular people do you think that they wouldn't be the same, without those beliefs?

Being genuinely "good" ie morally upright, compassionate, charitable, is not the exclusive behaviour or prerogative of people with religious beliefs.

BTW used to be a believer - I guess life happened!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:27 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I will comment on the discussion later, when I have more time. But, che, I have a question: am I correct in assuming that you believe in the Real Presence?