Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:52 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

For instance, arrow.... I believe he had some sort of conversation, or vision or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:53 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Unless, you were just being facetious, in which case I apologize. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:29 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Tommy GS wrote:
Re: your argument, do you mean to suggest that value is economical -- supply and demand? The value of something depends on its numbers, and how much people want it?

No, not at all. What struck me was that particular argument/comparison seemed to be based on the fact we take great care of the young of animals even when they are in egg form (ie bald eagle), then clearly we should accord the same care to human young even when they are in egg form.

This seemed to me a completely flawed argument, that is why I made the comment about vegans etc as we DON"T respect the young of animals we eat hens eggs whenever we feel like it whether poached boiled etc orfish eggs as roe or caviar and so on.

If the bald eagle hadn't been in short supply and if its eggs had been highly appetising it would have had the same treatment there's no "morality" in its preservation. The fact that it is lucky enough to be a national symbol also helps a lot, but we have to cull our national symbol when there's too many of them.

Maybe I've missed the point somewhere?

Don't worry, knew it wasn't a challenge and certainly no way intended being cynical of your personal intentions :)

You have lost me on your other comments, - clearly I don't subscribe to the visionary St Paul on the road to Damascus kind of God experience, but if a genuinely good person feels the need to go and do good and they believe they have been inspired to do so, then that is their own business and not for me to comment on the way they choose to do it.

That's a muddly sentence, but hope it makes sense.

GT