Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Global warming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:15 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Just watched the news from america, seems the GW crisis is hitting hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:10 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:39 am 

Ya... day by day as the temperature around the globe has started increasing faster and faster the global warming issues has created a havoc now..

We really need to do something if we can..
And one main problem which would not allow global warming to stop is vehicles
no one is this world will stop reducing four wheelers or two wheelers cauz everyone needs to get to their salary their income for themselves as they dont know abt the world...

we cannot stop global warming is this is the cause 8O :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:44 am 

Don't believe everything you hear, especially on national news networks. Global warming has been around for a very, very long time, and the only reason why there is so much interest in it nowadays is because there is a lot of money involved in it.

And people aren't calling it global warming anymore, they are calling it "climate change", because they are not really sure if the earth is warming or whether it is a man-made cause or a natural cycle the earth goes through every few millenniums.

Look up Climate Gate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:48 am 

Don't believe everything you hear from the critics of Climate Change either...
Yes... it's true that the Earth does go through NATURAL cycles... keywords "natural cycles"... and these are caused by internal or external factors. The problem is that Humans and their "technology" have now become a FACTOR.
In the fall, trees release a bunch of CO2 from their decayed leaves... however, trees don't go digging up millions of tons of coal and burn them for energy.
Forestation created our atmosphere... deforestation should un-create our atmosphere.
Loss of the Ozone lets in hotter rays from the Sun... Who helped destroy the Ozone... Not the polar bears... 8O

People become addicted to advancements and convenience. The ironic thing is, is that Green Energy is an advancement and probably more convenient than our current energy problems. If everyone had a solar panel on their roof with ample electric storage, they could easily switch to an Electric car, without spending hard earned money every other day on gasoline.

I think America should switch to bicycles in their city's and rural neighborhoods... I see too many overweight people complaining about their health and rising gas prices, and then they drive their oversized SUVs to McDonalds and then around the block to work. It's sad. And it makes me angry.

Personally, I think this world is beyond the point of no return. The coming generations are just going be plagued with more and more problems.

There's a concept that I convey with people when I get the chance... and it is this... If God invited you into Its' house, would you trash it out? If you invited someone into your house, would you let them trash it out?

Okay, that's my rant for now on Global Warming... Thanks to those who give a damn...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:51 am 

actually GLOBAL WARMING is the major problem but to every problem there is a solution.
every one has problems, but the difference is in how u see that problem
do u see a solution or u see more problems in that problems

and this goes for a simple basis that if ppl are addicted to advancements there will b gr8 scientists in future who will get more researches and inventions that can stop global warming na..
hence i said everyone has problems the difference is in our sight of viewing to it...

thank u

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:24 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hmm, global warming... In a sense, I am seeing it, but yes, I'm over here in Virginia, and we've had snow. Since the holidays. In a record amount. It's kinda striking me as something more than coincidence, this has been worse than all blizzards we've had my whole life, just from the massive amount of snow constantly put down. Just to state, the reason why I haven't posted lately is because of the snow, I only post on days when I have classes, and I've been out since mid-January. To the global warming issue, I don't consider it warming as much as a total climate rearrangement, warming some places, cooling others.

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. THEN, we will cheer! I often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen."
Garth Stein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:44 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

TBird wrote:
Don't believe everything you hear from the critics of Climate Change either...
Okay, that's my rant for now on Global Warming... Thanks to those who give a damn...

Completely agree, TBird. People just have no idea of how much they are being manipulated to dismiss global warming. Check this out and then wonder why you're not surprised anymore.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2828195.htm

Quote:
And people aren't calling it global warming anymore, they are calling it "climate change", because they are not really sure if the earth is warming or whether it is a man-made cause or a natural cycle the earth goes through every few millenniums.

A politically motivated name change doesn't alter scientific observations such as the melting polar icecap and drowning polar bears.

***Since posting this a few hours ago the link has gathered a massive number of comments on both sides of the argument, and while I do not suggest you attempt to wade through them all, it does illustrate how this debate can affect people's political views into "for or against" simply because of climate change policies.

Unfortunately this in itself detracts from actually addressing serious problems caused by extreme climatic conditions which we are living through.

Last edited by gumtree on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:15 pm 

The burning of fossil fuels is the major contributor to greenhouse gases...My country New Zealand is a hypocritical nation; while signing up to Kyoto and telling the world of our 'clean, green image' this country has burned more and more, importing gas-guzzlers and extending motorways, building up the driving habit. The result is that between 1990 and 2007 emissions of greenhouse increased by 39.2% for energy and 35% for industrial processes...but the whole picture includes climate change....species extinction....human population explosion... water and food shortages....war and plague...refugees.... post oil...economic depression....the resultant storm has long been predicted.......it is not looking good folks.....time has well and truly run out.....I expect that in the coming massive crisis a strong leader will seize power in New Zealand and the masses will breath a sign of relief. Elected fascism will assert itself, probably from the right with an emphasis on the priority of property, prepared to drive down peoples and continue environmental destruction.....hope I'm not around.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Perhaps you should consider the 'strong leaders' who have seized power through history. Rarely has this led to happy people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:01 am 

DSW wrote:
Perhaps you should consider the 'strong leaders' who have seized power through history. Rarely has this led to happy people.

I completely agree. The leaders of the world are using this opportunity to seize more power and wealth for themselves and/or the governments in which they serve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:07 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I was thinking more along the lines of the 'Strongmen' such as Mugabe, Amin et al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:24 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Please take the time to read this through. Don't stop to yell at me part way through. Really, we're all much more mature than that.

Okay, so I think we all agree. Global warming is a crock. Global warming is a fallacy. Global warming is a myth. Global warming is a big, fat, shove it up your ass LIE.

Clearly the earth is not getting any warmer. Temperatures in Florida hit 38 degrees over winter break (which is, by the way, a new low). Tropical fish died by the billions in the Florida Keys because the water temperature hit the low 50's. We got it.

What is happening to our planet (I don't care if you think humans have exacerbated a natural shift or not. Just shut up and read this if you've made it this far), is in fact global CLIMATE CHANGE. Global warming it is not.

The term global warming only pertains if you look at the problem on a, you guessed it, GLOBAL scale. Yes our planet is getting warmer because of increased levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. But that doesn't necessarily translate to the local scale.

Some areas of the planet will get warmer, that is true. Look at Durham NH at the moment. Middle of February and it's RAINING. But other places are going to continue to get colder (like in Florida). Other places will get wetter, others drier. Storms will become more violent, times of calm will likely become calmer.

The extremes of weather on the planet will get more extreme. Hurricane Katrina was direct evidence of that phenomenon; as is the devastating drought that has plagued Australia since 2007.

So really. Cut it out. Global warming is a lie. The term is global climate change. Get with the program people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:19 pm 

Quote:
Okay, so I think we all agree. Global warming is a crock. Global warming is a fallacy. Global warming is a myth. Global warming is a big, fat, shove it up your ass LIE.

Clearly the earth is not getting any warmer. Temperatures in Florida hit 38 degrees over winter break (which is, by the way, a new low). Tropical fish died by the billions in the Florida Keys because the water temperature hit the low 50's. We got it.

I don't agree... Global Warming causes Climate Change. Let me explain it the way I understand it.

As the Earth gets warmer (on a global scale), as it has due to greenhouse gasses, it upsets the natural balance... It causes major upswings and downswings in the natural pattern. You get longer northern dips into the south in the Winter, and longer southern upshots from the south in the Summer. I.E... the northern winds come down farther, and southern winds come up further. There is more warmth to interact with the cold, and this causes more turbulence in the global winds and tides. Just because we are experiencing colder weather in normally warm areas of the Earth, doesn't mean that the Earth on a whole isn't getting warmer. That's why it's called Global Warming, and not Strange Weather Phenomena. In Oklahoma, we have experienced some pretty cold weather this Winter, but it doesn't match the heat in the Summer, and so our average for one year has actually gotten Warmer.

Eventually, the warm with create an even keal with the cold, but the cold has to get absorbed first, and until then, we are going to keep experiencing violent swings in the weather. When it does finally come to balance, with shorter dips and upshots, the world is going to be transformed. Some places will be dryer, and some places will be wetter, but by no means is any place going to be colder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:43 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

TBird wrote:
Quote:

I don't agree... Global Warming causes Climate Change. Let me explain it the way I understand it.

Some places will be dryer, and some places will be wetter, but by no means is any place going to be colder.

Congratulations for completely missing the point I was trying to make