Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Simple as this.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:55 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"The most important things in life - aren't things".

How much do you agree?

P.S: I missed here and you ppl.

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:26 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The most important things in life are - different for each person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:22 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Somewhat disagree. Noting sentimental values and objects that help you accomplish your goals and the like. Is a violin not important to a violinist?

But, yeah, the basic principle, I think, is that material goods are not what's important in life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:50 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Maybe a mixture - special people, things you have done, but also some material things like certain books or paintings. That would sum up the important things in my life, ie what have given me the most lasting happiness.
But Libra, you did write MOST important things and I have to agree - it would have to be people for me.
:) It's good to have you around again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:37 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It is the idea of what the violin does/can do, not the actual object itself, that is important. The violin is symbolic of the sucesses and acomplishments of it's player, but of its own is not important. Nothing is important until meaning is attached to it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:29 am 

I am trying to include more information in my profile.....but it only asks for username and password....anyone know if the mod changed it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:17 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Things are not the most important things in life but life would be too boring without things. Aside from their practical significance, things may be considered as mere toys and we enjoy playing with these material accessories. We would not be buying them if we don't intend to enjoy its presence in our lives anyway. The question made me look at my own things though and i guess i am quite a practical person. I don't find any offense in one being materialistic for as long he/she obtains things by his own effort and not at the expense of other people. If some people are aghast at one's extravagance, it is not my problem because that person is not spending my own money. Besides, in this modern time, materialism is just as ordinary and synonymous as shopping.
Welcome back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:24 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Welcome back Libra!

And I disagree because there are times when I count people (my friends) as things and they are the most important things in my life.

occasionally my homework falls under that category when I'm actually really proud of it, which is rarely.

Post subject: Re: Simple as this.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:36 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Things refer to all things and is always a mystery until it is made know. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:33 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

arrow wrote:
Things are not the most important things in life but life would be too boring without things. Aside from their practical significance, things may be considered as mere toys and we enjoy playing with these material accessories. We would not be buying them if we don't intend to enjoy its presence in our lives anyway. The question made me look at my own things though and i guess i am quite a practical person. I don't find any offense in one being materialistic for as long he/she obtains things by his own effort and not at the expense of other people. If some people are aghast at one's extravagance, it is not my problem because that person is not spending my own money. Besides, in this modern time, materialism is just as ordinary and synonymous as shopping.
This is interesting to read, considering my endeavors from the past summer (and, somewhat, still.) Let's consider the generations before us that went without mass consumerism. Now, obviously, there were paintings on the walls, and a couple of nice candlesticks and a vase. But things of that nature do not hinder thought or creativity, as, say, a cell phone. The difference in their literature, music, philosophy, and such is noticeable. I, contrary to arrow, am - for lack of a better word - disgusted when seeing another's extravagance. I suppose I just think there's better things in life. But is this basis enough to judge the character of the person? Meh....