Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Are you all Writers?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:28 pm 

I am starting to learn about journalism. Do any of you write and how did you start. Do you write poems or short stories and how did you overcome your fears. The thought of writing something and signing my name to it scares the bejesus out of me. I guess it comes down to a fear of rejection or of being laughed at. What do you think? There are some fabulous writers and I guess I have to not think in terms of competition but..... how? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:16 pm 

I'm a writer, but I've never published anything. I write poetry and stories, and started when I was twelve years old. This is coming from a person who hated to read or write until I finally became literate at the age of eleven. I could not read anything but baby books until that age. I just didn't have the right motivation to learn. Anyways, on to your fear. Your fear is common and is probably one of the many reasons why authors use fake names on what they get published. Along with the idea of keeping a private life. Having people constantly coming up to you and going "Are you really so and so?" can be annoying. I would prefer putting my real name on the things I write. As for getting over that fear, you just need to do it. Thats how all fears are done away with. Don't worry about getting laughed at or rejected. Who cares if some people don't like it. There will always be those people. If you are rejected, just go to another publisher. One publisher doesn't dictate what every publisher will think. It's a learning process, and will teach you not only to better your writing, but how to deal with things in the business world. Competition is always going to be there to. Just don't get so lost in it that you forget why you are writing in the first place. It's not to beat people in the race is it?

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:00 am 

Thank you Raven. I feel a little better now, even though I am probably years away from attempting to have anything published. I will most likely put my attention on magazine articles or in working for an author or a publisher. I have to write an article for this upcoming exam as though I were writing it to a newspaper and send it to the school. Even that has been weighing heavily on me, to the point that I have been wanting to quit the course.
Your words of encourage have helped a lot, and I thank you sincerely.

G G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:23 pm 

Quote:
I have to write an article for this upcoming exam as though I were writing it to a newspaper and send it to the school. Even that has been weighing heavily on me, to the point that I have been wanting to quit the course.

Your welcome, and thank you. Well, is it because you are afraid of putting your name on it? It wont be good enough? That it wont make it to the school at all or on time? Or all of the above?

As for the first two, since your not actually publishing anything, don't worry about it. This paper is not worth dropping the class over. Finish it, fill out the envelope, put the stamp on it, and throw it in the mail box. Once it's in that mail box, it doesn't exist anymore. Just go back in your house, and find the one thing that you can do that makes you forget about your nerves and do it. Whats the worst thing that can happen? You get a bad grade? You have to make up for it on the next assignment? You learn something from your mistakes in the paper? Everyone has to go through this if your going to school for something. Have confidence in yourself. You took this class because you believe you are a good writer. All you have to do is believe in yourself and keep working on it, and you will be a good writer.

If you are afraid it wont make it to the school in the mail. Just make sure you have it saved on your computer; or if you don't have a computer, make sure you print off more than one copy off of whatever computer you are using.

If you drop this class, and don't try you wont be happy with yourself in the long run. At least if you try you have tried and failed. It will be okay. Let us know the outcome once the paper is done and graded.

Good luck!

Raven