Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:45 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I just read/listened to Albert Einstein's entry to "This I Believe" -- AN IDEAL OF SERVICE TO OUR FELLOW MAN.

This essay has incited a great excitement in condemning my low tolerance level, though it is difficult to imagine putting it practice into when dealing with certain individuals. Does it really take practice? Is it possible to be "compassionate, nurturing, and [socially bonding]"? I lack patience and am oft judgmental. Every day. Cynicism and pessimism. I side with Carlin:

"Have a nice day!!"
"Yeah, yeah.... Will ya gimme my f*ckin' change please?"

How hard it is dealing with sugar-coated folks... no substance or grit. How hard dealing with ignorance and immaturity. I realize this is hypocritical, to an extent, and impatient and judgmental, but these are my natural feelings. How exhausting!

Is it more exhausting to be sugary and nice? It seems there is more than one type. The first I find to be phony -- as I once read: it is the most accepted hypocrisy. Does this license me to NOT be apart of this hypocrisy? The second sugary/nice is genuine. Feelings good with folks that I like and want to talk to.

Mind you, I'm a simple individual by nature and I view life as such. The goal/purpose of life and our human nature I see in very basic terms. What I view as complex is the growth of each individual. Thoughts are interwoven and our personal betterment and decisions and philosophies, et al., are twisted and made difficult.

How easy it sounds to do something good each day. How much we speak of well-doing. But what ultimately takes us down some pegs are: culture, social relationships, human fault/err/condition, mundaneness of everyday-going-through-motion life, lack of effort, self-esteem, ego, pride.... How quickly we dismiss a small task -- decide on ignoring a good deed -- simply because we do not see it as a making a big difference. On the contrary: if everyone did these deeds everyday, wouldn't the world be much nicer? Yet, "good men do nothing...."

To speak of the simplicity I mentioned earlier, it is humbling. Indeed, we are only human. Perhaps this puts humans in low regard, but we cannot ignore that we are flawed and each individual's ideals set in a well-intentioned basis will never be the nature of the WHOLE. This sucks to say, because I also see humans as having great strength -- being the cure, as capable as we are. Perhaps we spend our lives without ever putting this strength to a greater use; never put to practice; never even recognized or acknowledged in the first place; ever ignored.

I sit at the computer writing, briefly stopping to read an article on Yahoo, and quickly I emerged from/out of the state of mind in which I write these words; the state of mind which I feel recognizes deeper thought and, hopefully, Truth. It is saddening to recognize my own blindness from these words when I am overcome by even a few of seconds of reading the news.

As I said, humbling. We are ants. Mere specks, when considering the Ultimate. We are trying to figure out our problems, and trying to solve them. We all will never agree, but this does not dismiss the fact that we are moving under the same sun and will be met with a realization of what life really is. Or will we?

Did William S. Burroughs feel the same way about life, while on his deathbed, as the Dalai Lama will feel on his? Hmmm.... No. Perhaps I should try and reword what I am trying to express: we are children. There is something we do not see, but should, and can if we let ourselves. We are all equal. We are all unique.

Sorry, there is no real conclusion. I just have nothing left to express.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:54 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This is probably an unpopular thread because....well, who really cares? But lately I've been finding that the more I read, the more I write. It seems useless, but philosophy is more about the questions than the answers. So what the hell.... From my pen and paper, to your screen.

I have semi-abandoned Catholicism, but not completely. In technical terms of the actual religion, I cannot be considered a member because I do not believe in the Sacrament of the Eucharist. I do not believe the Catholic teaching that the Eucharist *is* the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ. This is likely to change, and then change again, and undoubtedly two or three times more as I get older and discover the world's rhythms. So tonight, over a few cigarettes, I have started over by stating one belief at a time; and then coming to conclusions (and asking more questions) as to what the effects of that belief are.

The first (and with me, probably the most obvious question) is, Do I believe in God? The answer is yes, as demonstrated in an earlier thread. I believe in a Creator, a Supreme Being, because of First Cause and Intelligent Design, and other arguments found in Aquinas' Summa Theologica. In effect: why?

Until next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:41 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I don't think unpopular is quite right, for myself I rather like it, but being in the middle of a run of assorted shifts, and being knackered, I can't get my brain firing enough to make a sensible reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:56 pm 

Tommy GS, you are a great, deep thinker and it seems you try to figure the world from all angles. If everyone took the time to think of the world around them as you do wouldn't this be a lovely place? If all people considered all other people and genuinely cared enough to reach out every now and then, it would be marvelous. But that is the story of a perfect world. Unfortunately we have all come through bad experiences. Some have had their spirits broken and live in a shell and find it hard to get back.

Regarding the phoney nice people you mentioned earlier, I say thank God they can at least fake it. That is so much better than having to deal with anger or cynicism. I personally try to give warmth to everyone I meet. I have a hard time dealing with people's snide remarks and angry outbursts. It actually ruins my day and takes a while to get over. You know the commandment "do under others". I find it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:32 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yes, I understand my thoughts aren't very organized. But if one sentence leads to another, I don't want to confine myself to just elaborating on just one thing.

I never thought about the other person having to deal with my snide remarks.... I don't really know much about the receiving end of my medicine. Bad habit, to take hostility out on stupid people.