Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Idea
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:40 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I enjoy my economics class. It exhausts me, because the world is complex and I am a simple individual by nature. But, there is a lot of talk about business and entrepreneurship and this and that. The class puts it all into basic terms, though, and I like that. Makes things very simple. From these basic terms spawned an idea, still in the making.

Now, let's say I recorded a CD of my music and I am on the street trying to sell them to some folks passing by for $5 (USD). The folks wouldn't give me the time of day... five bucks for this loser? I don't know who he is, what music he plays, if he's good, and THEN I would have to pay $5?

I would be in the hole $13 that I paid for the case of blank CD's.

But, if I were to just hand them out for free, I think it's safe to say that most people would at least take it. I love getting free things. And free MUSIC? Sure, why not? Nothing to lose.

My name could be passed around by word of mouth; and if they like it and I have a gig in the area, I could say, "Hey, listen to my CD. It's free. If you like it, I am playing at the bar tonight, so stop by."

There are some flaws, I think, but I still think it's pretty solid. Critiques? Ignore this thread completely? What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:53 pm 

Well, funny enough I was just watching the movie 8 Mile for the first time. The movie based on Eminem's life. I really am not that big of a fan, but I appreciate his talent. He is a wonderful weaver of words, and very smooth. So, anyways when he was trying to get his talent out there he did rap wars. He got himself known, and then tried to make enough money to get studio time.

What you can do is pass out Cd's to a few people you know. Do this a week or two in advance. Tell them to have the people they know listen, so you don't spend a lot of money making a lot of Cd's. In all reality you are only going to waste a few bucks on a package of Cd's. You don't have to make them look special at first. That can come later. See how many people show up for the first performance at the bar. Then when you are done, ask the bartender whether more people showed up more than usual for that night. Ask if anyone said anything about you. If you were good. Ask for money for your performances at the bar the next couple of times. Then you can gain money for studio time. There you go.

Hope that helps. If I have any flaws people let me know.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:08 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

way back in the annal's, a PTI friend of mine decided to put on aerobics classes for the families of the troops, free. Hardly anyone fronted, he put a $2.00 per session charge in and was having to limit numbers.
I would question if people look to your hypothetical CD and say 'what good is it likely to be if it's only a fiver?'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:15 am 

Quote:
I would question if people look to your hypothetical CD and say 'what good is it likely to be if it's only a fiver?'

It could go either way. He could try selling them for five or more, and if he failed he could try going free.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:58 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Bundle them with something, sort of 'Buy one and get a free condom' marketing? Alternately, buy 1 condom and get a free CD.
Tell you what Tommy boy, PM me an address and I'll start the engine with a purchase, for $10 Aust + postage. Seriously.