Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:05 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I don't have a question or an interesting idea. I am just going to express myself and see what happens. Comment if you like.

In my quest to live simply, I have come across a couple of snags.

For one, my environment. I'm not on my own. I have parents to depend on and to obey and put up with (though, not in a bad way. Everyone really gets along very nicely in my house. Boy, have I grown....) My dad loves television, my mom is incredibly disorganized, they love to hoard, they love their little knick-knacks on the mantle and their pictures and their candles and their this and that. Actually the more I think about it, the more I am slightly getting pissed off.

The more time I spend away from the television, the more I have grown to dislike it when it's on. The more time I spend in silence and in solitude, the more I have learned that, as the old saying goes, the best things in life are free. I even f123ing hate the computer and yet I still bring myself to check my stupid e-mail, my stupid Facebook and absorb myself in stupid advertisements and it just sucks. I feel unclean when I walk away from the computer. If it were up to me, I'd rid this house of all televisions and the computer and all the unneeded sh!t that clutters my life. My parents, however, are getting older and they like what they like. My dad has humbly lived his life, so I figure he deserves ESPN even though I hate it... like a friggin' moth to the light.

Secondly, my lack of discipline. Since I have to live with this stuff, it kills me that I succumb to it. Luckily, I have control over everything in my bedroom. I don't have to live with DVD's potentially wasting two hours of my life. I don't have to look at all the stupid crap that decorated my shelves. But, really what it comes down to is television and the computer; and sometimes, I hate to say, the piano. Though, the time is not completely wasted, sometimes I do find myself going over the same old sh!t. I could work on that, I guess. Plus, I can't force myself to pick up a bit of reading material and I feel that time is kind of running out.

I have also purged my clothing line, but as stupid as it sounds, I can't force myself to clean out my shirts and shorts and slacks. All of my shirts mean something to me in one way or another, I guess. Concerts that I attended, etc. It would make me feel awkward and embarrassed to wear the same thing every day, because I like what I wear and I take pride in that form of expression.

I'm not sure what else is keeping me from my simple life. But I am not in complete control and also my desires cannot be totally harnessed. What I am really beginning to dislike is cars and pavement. They disgust me. I do not know what it is like to look at a piece of open land without seeing a f123ing road. For Christ's sake, I can't even walk a golf course without seeing cart paths. It also makes my evening walks less enjoyable. All of the damn cars that pass by me every three seconds. Come on, man, no one's in that big of a hurry.

Perhaps I am being hypocritical because a car is apart of my daily life. Just about everyone's daily life for that matter. And this is unfortunate. Everyone just got themselves into a big damn hurry. With all of this technology that surrounds our lives and basically makes our culture what it is (Hello, Cell Phones), it's a shame no one thinks anymore. Some people in my school need to enter "5 + 10" in the calculator so, rest assured, they know that it equals 15.

And then we wonder why us kids are so damn stupid. Yes, I am apart of this generation.

What about when people didn't have calculators and computers? They used their brains and that made them smarter, right? Unfortunately, now you can hardly get a job without knowing how to work a computer. Something is that is totally necessary to make ourselves marketable is also making us more dumb at the same time. Bleh.... Gotta change with the times, I guess.

Anyway, amongst my thoughts, I would like to pat myself on the back. All of my peers think that I have gone ape-y. They laugh -- oh, you're so crazy. But you'll give in, Tommy, you love movies, don't you? Hahaha, okay! The best things in life are free, hahahaha, are you gonna become a Buddhist? Oh! Hang on a sec, I just got a text!

Even my own family, really. My siblings think that this is a phase and is just apart of growing and that I'll change my mind eventually and that old Tommy is just reading too much philosophy and all of a sudden wants to become a monk and blah blah blah blah. I don't think that's the case and I hold steadfast to my mission (even when I mess up and find myself watching Law & Order.)

I am glad that I have shown initiative and I am glad that I don't care what anyone thinks and am comfortable with myself and I am glad I have taken this step in my life because it has already yielded pleasant results, which I think will be embedded for quite some time.

I think I'm done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:05 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Don't worry too much about it. Sounds to me that you really actually enjoy a bit of TV and computering and playing what you know on the piano over and over. It doesn't make you any less of a person to enjoy a bit of pop culture now and then. I can see your point how it would make you feel hypocritical to indulge, however you've got to question how you've come to reach such views and maybe realise that they're just not that practical in the contemporary world. You can go down the route of a life of trying to avoid all that which you think makes the world bad, but it'll just make you bitter and people think you're miserable and conceited. Everyone needs to indulge in a bit of mindless crap every now and then, if we didn't our brains would be working on overdrive the whole time and we would end up mentally fatigued. I wouldn't call watching Law and Order screwing up, I'd call it natural. We all need a bit of escapism and just because it doesn't fit into the stereotype of 'the good life' (reading, sport, playing music, etc) doesn't make it any less worth while.

Tommy, I think you need to learn to enjoy life a bit more and admit to yourself that its OK to enjoy your guilty pleasures, and not worry too much about trying to live the values of ivory tower philosophers. Do you think they were happy? Do you think that they wouldn't indulge in a bit of TV or computer or pop music if they got the chance? Don't let yourself get bitter to the trivialties of the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:22 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

You raise interesting points.

I have set myself goals to see what I can find out about myself and life in general when I separate myself from clutter and the intake of useless media and disorganization and wasting time... the life I have been used to for my eighteen years of life.

Watching television obviously isn't bad in and of itself (I watch the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien every night (because who doesn't love to laugh, right?) And the computer and the roadways et al are obviously necessary for 2009. It's just that in terms of my goals, my time is being ill-spent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:04 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Two words: Gap year

Get yourself out on your own in a foriegn country where you have to learn a new language and adapt to a new culture and you'll find yourself sure enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:37 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Tommy, get yourself over here, do some jackarooing and fruit picking. Buy a decent backpack and get moving. When all is done and dusted, either you do something or you don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:59 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

One thing I want to do before I die is pick blueberries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:15 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I don't know where you live in the country (I assume you're American), but you could hich-hike to Mexico.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:22 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Be a drug mule bringing steroids across the border. Adventure and good money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:15 pm 

You should really talk to my boyfriend Tommy. He wants to go live at his families cabin the rest of his life. He wants a simple life to, and I make it crazy. Because I'm not simple. He would take himself from society and live in solitude. Pump his own water, use an outhouse, cut wood for the stove and fireplace, and hunt and fish for his food.

I on the other hand absolutely hate f...ing cell phones, and own one. I hate that at anytime of day someone can call you and you can answer :D When you don't answer you feel like sh.. because they know that you have a cell phone. You have to listen to that thing go off every ten minutes.

I hate how parents sit their kids down in-front of TV's and computers. Here do this so I don't have to do anything with you. My mom did this to my little sister. The longest my sister sat and played Worlds of Warcraft (mind you she is eight years old and my mother and step-father let her play this game) is eight hours. I just about got sick.

I don't watch TV unless it's a good show with a good story line. I also will watch movies. I rarely play video games anymore. I spend most of my time reading and walking my dogs. I wont read the newspaper, or watch the news. I can figure out when it's going to be a bad day. What did people do in the old days when we didn't have TV and a weatherman huh? I don't listen to an IPOD. I prefer to write letters than to send email.

But...you should really read some Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. Odd is a very simple man leading a very complicated life. Seriously read the series.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:24 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ooh, this original post is dated June 16.

My perspective now: pretty much the same. But, considering my little "project" is done (end of summer), I give myself a little more leeway. Some things I found for myself:

1. (Most) material goods just take up space and I still scoff at people whose lives are cluttered with stuff that they don't think about enough, or with stuff that absolutely serve no purpose. I have my materials, but I use them all. My lighter lights my cigarettes. My dresser holds my clothes. My iPod plays my music. Etc.

2. As far as TV and movies and computer is concerned, they're distractions when not put to "proper use." Wasting time is a no-no, I think. I won't watch the same episode of a show over and over again (except for Seinfeld ;)), I won't watch The Godfather one more time, unless I just need to the time to veg out and be lazy. And the computer is a tool of modern technology. Even so, I find my life much more enjoyable without these things at all. Silence and nature, I enjoy thoroughly.

3. Disciplining myself to keep away from these things? Well, in my casual everyday life, without the thought of actually trying to not watch TV, TV doesn't necessarily hurt. See above.

Glad I put myself to hard work by trying to live a semi-simple life. Changed my perspective, definitely, and it's very strange to think of my life 5 months ago. Wow.

Raven, I will definitely check out Odd Thomas. I'd like to meet your boyfriend. I am in the exact same boat as he is -- from "He would....." to "food."

I considered building a cabin myself, at some point in my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:53 pm 

Yes definitely check out the Odd Thomas series. There is a lot more too the story than I've told you obviously.

I have a hard time getting him to talk on here. I think he has an account though. I forgot what it is, I'll have to go look at some old old old threads from 2005-2006 to find it. Maybe I can get him to come on here and talk to you. He just doesn't like forums or things like Myspace and Facebook.

Raven