Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: I just thought
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:35 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

That perhaps, everyone can chip in their tried and tested approach to better relationships and life in general? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:55 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Patience and understanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:43 am 
Enigma
Enigma

HONESTY

simple. Say what is on your mind. If you love someone, tell them.
If you enjoy a person's company, call them up and request it.
If you don't want to go somewhere for dinner, say that you don't want to go there for dinner.
If you are in a relationship you don't want to be in, don't suffer through it. State your case!
If you want to be in a relationship you aren't in (romantic, buisiness, casual) state your case! walk into the business and request an application/interview. walk up to that person across the room and say hi.
Yin

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject: Re: I just thought
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:12 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

arrow wrote:
That perhaps, everyone can chip in their tried and tested approach to better relationships and life in general? Thanks.

If you respect and understand someone and that someone respects and understands you, then the relaltionship in general will not be so complex as to require asking such questions. :wink:

Post subject: Re: I just thought
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:21 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

arrow wrote:

Understand and learn to appreciate the imperfections of your significant other, because places they lack could possibly be a place you're strong in. Also, learn to come to compromises about your relationship. A lot of them often fail, because both parties end up competing for, how should I say, the pants in the relationship. lol

~Knows

~Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:27 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

about relationships? on this i have nothing... since i've never really had one.
but life? be POSITIVE, look at the good side of everything. if you think happy, happy things will come.

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:31 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Realize that it's not your job to "change" anyone. (Don't "nag".)

It's your job to understand yourself and be the best "you" you can be.
(Just as it's your partner's job to do the same.)

Look honestly at your mate and ask yourself, "Are his/her flaws things I can live with for the rest of my life or are they deal-breakers?" Picking up after him/her might be "fun" or "satisfying" now... but will you still enjoy doing it 10 years from now?

Accept people for who they are and where they are in life and gently encourage/support change where appropriate.

For instance: Does it really matter if he leaves the top off the toothpaste or is that something you can find a solution for that doesn't involve nagging him? (Maybe you could each have your own tube.)

Be courteous with one another. Saving your "nice manners" for strangers and guests is doing your relationship a disfavor.

Be tolerant and patient.

When you blow it (because you will) apologize as soon afterward as possible. Maybe that means waiting 24 hours. If you are still angry, your apology is not going to be sincere and your mate will know it. Wait until you are calmer. BUT DON'T OMIT OR FORGET TO APOLOGIZE.

If you have a habit/flaw that really bothers your mate, and it's not an integral part of who you are, consider working on extinguishing it in the name of peaceful relations.

Never name-call.

Don't fight dirty. (Don't deliberately press the most sensitive buttons your mate has in an effort to hurt him/her and win an argument.)

Be gentle with each other's souls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:42 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

In a relationship, do not expect that you can change your partner, but recognise that over time each of you will change in some ways, life does that.

Try to truly listen when you hear.

In life, always try to put yourself in the other person's shoes, or the other side of the argument, before you make any decisions. (Often easier said than done!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:36 pm 
Philosopher
Philosopher

Try to question yourself, be honest, and not say you value listening to people when you don't do that yourself, for example.
The best way to keep up good relationships is to give and never expect anything in return, ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:16 am 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

if both sides strive to be noble,relationship will never fade.a man can never be totally noble but the matter is the endeavour for being noble...

See "Arthurian tales,Galahad and Lancelot"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:53 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

oh i wish this was up and running a while ago so i could have seen the way my relationship was going...
anyway
what i've learned so far

-don't fake being upset, it may wok but in the future it will blur the line
-make sure you both know your limitations be it sexual, emotional or whatever
-don't struggle through a relationship if it's not working for you, tell the other person what is wrong and assert yourself
-never go to bed angry at your partner, always try to sort out thing a litlle before you hit the pillow or it'll just be harder to do the next day

there's so much more but i won't bore you with it :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:16 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
tell the other person what is wrong and assert yourself

Yes! If you and your partner don't tell each other what you're thinking, then the misunderstanding cannot be resolved. Perhaps it isn't even a misunderstanding. Perhaps it's that these two people are just too different one from the other. But until these issues are dealt with, you'll never know.

In the end, though, no relationship is perfect, be it between lovers or between friends. Problems can be resolved, ignored, or accepted as a reason to separate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:59 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:42 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:36 pm