Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:57 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Our old maintenance lady from school died of a stroke last night. She was fired last year (because of the economy) and the last time I saw her was May, I think.

Connie was a little black lady who had half a finger missing, weighed 100 lbs, had around 60 years on her belt, stood an inch over five feet and schlepped sh-- around after all of us punk teenagers. And she was full of a very high energy spirit that NO one could get rid of... and really, it's true. She truly was one of the happiest people I have ever known.

I remember introducing myself to her as a freshman. Little did I know that every time I would see her in the halls for the next two years, we would ALWAYS exchange hellos, and laughs and wish each other well.

When my mom showed up in the doorway of our den, I knew someone died. As soon as she walked away, I laughed.

Is that sick?
I laughed.

But not that she was dead.... I guess, what's natural about human beings is that we mourn death and we celebrate life. See, what Connie taught me is very clear to me now, now that she is gone. To think of her personality and to think of her situation....

Paid worth sh--.
Work most days a week, doing a job no one wants to do.
Happy. Energetic.

In other pathetic news, there are individuals who are just eeeeasssing their way through life with all the money and riches and luxury and don't lift a finger. Oh - and they're miserable and ungrateful.

There's much more but my fingers are getting cold - the cold freeze that has passed through the country is getting to me.

Anyway....
Celebrating life.

I think it's very, very cool that the news of a loss provoked only good thoughts - that was Connie. I guess she just had that power; that instead of mourning, the very thought of her fiery guts made me smile.

Here today, gone tomorrow.
What a loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:04 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I'm not good with words, but I wanted to tell you that I think what you wrote is a tremendous and powerful memorial. I can't think of one better for anyone.