Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: My status
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:51 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I am failing honors chem. Ten missing assignments, low test scores, apathy.
I am failing honors English. A couple missing assignments, mostly low test scores; teacher is a c*nt, she and I butt heads a lot.
I am failing honors algebra II. Fourteen missing assignments, F's on tests and quizzes.

My parents don't really know either. Sure they know I'm a slacker, but this is about 25, 30 missing assignments. My dad is a working janitor. My mom is paid about $6.50/hr working as a lunch lay for 30 hours a week at my high school. This all to keep me in a good place for a $5K tuition, and I don't even have the fucking decency to care. How horrible is that?

Parents in their 60's working their asses off to keep their student in high school with D's and F's for $5,000 a year and he has nothing to show for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:15 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Eh... I just feel like writing. Might as well put some thought together.

There's no one in this world that I respect more than my father. Journalism degree, great writer; could've made something of himself, but he always put his wife and his children first. Had a good job for awhile working for Harvester International until it shut down and put him out of a job. Around that time, he and my mom had five kids or so.

Not sure what came next. Soon enough, he put himself to work by forming a little cleaning service. Various offices and homes, he and my mom and some of the kids would work. It was nice - he was in charge of his own hours, spend time with the family, etc. I don't think he really counted on THAT plan going down the shithole. The cleaning service as a business no longer runs, but his services stuck. Around the time I was born, he was hired by our pastor for the whole parish. Maintenance, janitorial work for the the church, the school and the little compound that the parish made for itself. He still does that today, at 63.

He tells me to do my homework... it's a pet peeve. I'm not saying that he is not a caring father or anything, but he never really makes any attempts to pay attention to what I'm involved in with school clubs, school assignments, and the like. My dad telling me to do my homework is just another sentence that he likes to say to keep being Father-ing. He might as well tell me to brush my teeth. Eat your vegetables.

A couple weeks ago, my chem teacher (she and I get along pretty well) tells me that she sent a progress report of my grades to my parents. Of course my mom was the first one to ask me about it. No big thing... she and I are working on building a better relationship (that's another story) and so I marched myself to the library and re-did all of the sh-- that was on my progress report. Anyway, I'm digressing --

What I remember most about getting that report back was my dad asking me about it. I felt shame. I felt guilt. It was and is a terrible feeling.

He's a simple man. Doesn't ask for much. He likes his beer, his sports and his remote. Even if he doesn't get these, he doesn't get angry about it or complain. He's worked his humble self down to the bone, without giving one thought about himself all of his life... in the name of the God that he believes in, he has served well. In the name of his wife, he has been loving and faithful all the days of his life. In the names of his children, he has brought us into this world and taught us best he could to be straight and good.

I'm not sure whether 30 missing assignments will matter in the years to come. It certainly won't help with my college applications, whether or not there is life beyond college or whatever and ever. It just sucks to think about where I am.... way below status.

"I heard you had some missing work."
"Yeah."
"Why didn't you just do it?"
"I dunno."
"Just do you work, that's all you gotta do."
"I know, pops."
"Did you redo it?"
"Yeah."
"Are you gonna pass?"
"Yeah."

The last answer was a fucking lie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:52 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I know what you mean, Tommy. I'm missing all sorts of assignments and failing all sorts of tests and I just really don't care. I guess my hatred for public education and my apathy for grades has finally come to ahead. My Senioritis has infected every area of my life, academics, friendships, work, athletics. I don't even run anymore, I used to run all the time. All I ever do is wait to turn 18 so I can join the Military. Grades don't even matter anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:20 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

OK, i'm sorry to post something so light hearted on this thread meant for reflection, but i didn't know what Senioritis meant so i googled it, this is what i got...

''Senioritis has been documented in a significant minority of seniors usually at the end of the 4th quarter of the junior year. This entails that the student usually doesn't do his college essay until the last week before the college applications are due. However, the student feels very smug because he got away with it.

In other cases, senioritis may show signs early on in birth, then progressing in elementary school, middle school, and the beginning of 9th grade. This usually means that the student goes to a bad school where he or she (usually he) has to take stupid, nonsensical courses, and question the validacy of the system.

Senioritis usually can be diagnosed by the student himself or by colleagues of the student such as a teacher.

Treatment for senioritis: Continue to slack off for the rest of the senior year, doing whatever you want. Usually graduation is the pinnacle for the end of senioritis for the student effectively becomes a college student and has to work hard otherwise he works at Burger Shack.

In some cases, treatment may not work, and the student may exhibit senioritis in college. In these cases, it is adviseable for the student to do research on "procrastination" and possibly visit a psychiatrist for further treatment.

Senioritis affects everyone, regardless of sex, age, height, race, etc. It happens naturally like chicken pox, or diarrhea.

Often the quote for seniors with senioritis is, "Whateva, whateva, I'll do what I waunt," as exhibited by the senioritic Eric Cartman from the show South Park. ''

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:58 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I've got really bad Senioritis, I've had it since I was a freshmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:29 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I'm trying to justify it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

By the way, the more I read your comment, Jen, the more I laugh.
:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:19 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"Symptoms include:

.............an over-excessive wearing of track pants, old athletic shirts, sweatpants, athletic shorts, and sweatshirts..........................."

Now that is really serious.

Last edited by gumtree on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:25 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

:lol:
I identify with all of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:18 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Temporary Treatment for Senioritis:
Christmas Break: treatment cycle to begin the Monday before Dec. 25 and to continue for at least two weeks. During that time the patient should do his/her best to avoid shoveling snow and get regular doses of eggnog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:25 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hear, hear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:23 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

...Creepy... The first post is almost exactly what happened to me this semister... *walks away slowly* Are you me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:43 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I wouldn't think it'd be impossible for you to be me, or I you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:32 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

No change. Still the confused idiot that I've always been. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:04 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Snap!