Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Vardis Fisher
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:47 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I just so happend to pick up this book called Adam and the Serpant , and I had got it at this free book give away that is annually held, and so sense the books are free, I am usually not that picky about my reasons for how I choose the books I pick up, and the main reason I picked it up was becasue I found the title intresting. But I really did not know much about the book and well there was not much information provided about it, as the cover did not have anything on it that related to the book, it was just a green hard cover and it was an older book published in the 50's.

But when I did read the book I found it quite intresting and throught provoking, but at the time did not really pay much attention to the author of the book, then just recently I was selcting a new book to read, and it was one that I got from the same place, and it was called My Holy Satan and when I looked inside of it, it had a list of other books by the author, and one of the books listed was Adam and the Serpent and they were both part of this seriis the author did called The Testiment of Man, and becasue it was just by sheer chance really and not by any intention of mine that I ended up with these two books by the same author, it made me currious, so I decdied to read up on Vardis Fisher a little bit, and I did find the informaiton about him quite intresting.

He was appernetly well known for his writing of historical fiction, and priror to his Testiment of Man serisi, which was written as his way of exploring the character of man by studying the past of the human speicis, it was also a sort of anylisis of religion, becasue he was a very out spoken Athieist, he was known for his adventure stories I guess you would call them. He did one about the Donar Party called The Mothers and he did a story about the fur trade called The Mountain Man, which was turned into a movie with Robert Redford, and I think he might of done something with the goldrush as well.

I am interested to read some more of his work based on what I read about him and his life, and his other novels which do sound intresting, and I was just currious if anyone else here has read him, and what your thoughts are on him as a writer, or just perosnally, good or bad.