Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: People Watching
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:01 am 

Yesterday afternoon:

Now, I sit in the comfort of an A/C, in the middle of the world, literally. Yes, I am here at the restaurant called Le Monde in my neighborhood, UWS. Watching people….

It is always interesting to see other people’s emotions - expressions - gestures.

The couple sit in front of me, has nothing to say to each other, she is very lonely and yet he sits there with a grin, as if everything is perfect and says nothing to her and she returns the favor in kind. Sad! Perhaps, he has a grin, because his world is perfect for now for she is sitting in front of him..

Nothing wrong with the silent gazes, but empty eyes, sad faces and utter disregard of one’s companion’s emotions troubles me.

Earlier, at the park, I saw a couple arguing. Mostly, the man listened and the woman talked to him, and at times, at him, gently. Nonetheless, they were talking, arguing with passion. Clearly, the man had it coming – must have done something wrong, or didn’t do what was expected of him or didn’t do enough of it. It is always our fault :) Of course, he didn’t seem to agree.

Yet, there was something sweet about the whole argument. I couldn’t hear a word, due to distance and having my Ipod jammed in to my ears –I know very vulgar of me. It was sweet that she cared so much, what ever the chap had done or not done enough of. She cared enough – they both cared enough to have it out in the public. I saw hands flying in frustration in the air, but no screams – calm but full of anger/passion sort of an argument. Although, the lad was wearing a Yankee’s cap, which alone entitled him the wrath of any decent human being :)

Sadly, in the end the man walked away, quite upset. Why wouldn’t he be upset for walking away from a gorgeous women who seemed to deeply cared for him… I think he cared just as much but just couldn’t convince her – that is also sad, isn’t it?

Then there was a man, with a long white beard resembling Tolstoy, with all of his belongings – possessions in a dirty black bag with the wheels. He was laying on the bench not far from where the couple was arguing. I am convinced that he heard everything, but showed no emotions. Didn’t care a bit.

He seemed content with his life. I was envious of him.

Here I am with so much more (sort of) than him and yet not always content. He seemed resigned to the fact that it was his life, better to make best of it than to bitch. That is probably why he didn’t care about the argument. Beside, he probably had bigger things in mind; like where is he going to sleep tonight or get the food from – it is indeed a shame when rich society like ours can not provide a man with a decent room and board.

Although, clearly he was homeless, he didn’t look like one or acted like one – must have been a victim of recent circumstances, well we all are in a way … but something didn’t add up, I wanted to go over and intrude on his contentment, but thought it not appropriate. Maybe I was just afraid that he might say something that would reveal my own short comings and shallowness.

Oh it is so easy and so much fun to judge people, when one is “people watching” it is one’s own game, and one can think/judge as one pleases, isn’t it?

And, of course, I have no shame :)

Last edited by DorianGray02@gmail.com on Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: watching people
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:20 am 

deleted

Last edited by Sunkissed on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:20 am 

I love people watching. You can learn a suprising bit about yourself from studying others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:35 am 

Fanatic wrote:
this seems like a really great past time, studying people. I think i'm going to try this, you can learn so much. Thanks Dorian for pointing ths out. You'll see a post from me soon on my findings :)

lol cant wait to read da post/stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:38 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I will join in as well...when i get the chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:14 pm 

It is also one of my favorite pastimes too, although I don't write about it....I loved your post and read it about 5 times! :)

Post subject: Psy and Philosy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:33 pm 

Dorian Gray

The psychology of silence; a behavior vs. the philosophy of displays through

emotion, rant, rage to resolve, this all surrendered to the privacies

for those involved as they depart, left to create an unresolved

dimension, for we remain with an equation, theirs to perpetuate ours

to dissolve.

Alfred Liseo

Post subject: Hmmm
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:43 am 

Ive been watching people for a while now to not exactly that intencely but I have come to notice that I can some how understand and feel in a sence what others are feeling its like i can also read body language and there actions aswell I dont know mayby its a human sometimes you can see right through peoples actions there words through there very eyes into there very soul___its only neccacary that we observe what goes on around us this brings us to a better sence of knowing people..knowing the world._____But i must say I like your style in whitch youve explained your analysis very cunning doriangray

Post subject: corrections
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:50 am 

Ignore my spelling (oh and when i said Idont know maby its a human,thing was supposed to follow)just a correction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:31 pm 

:mrgreen: Dorian Gray- Magnificent! I am also an avid people watcher. Never thought to put my findings here! It's amazing the things you learn!