Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:11 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

There is this author who I really like. I have read 2 of his books, currently he only has four out. And I loved the 2 that I read and thought they were really intriguging and fabulous stories, that really drew me in and I loved how he wove everything together and the way he created his characters.

But now I just discovered he has 2 new books out, and reading about them, if they were by any other author I would porbably just set them aside without thinking twice becasue they are very different from his last two books and not of a subject I would normaly be interested in.

Have you ever had that dilemma, of a writer you know and like writing a book you would not nromally be interested in, but you feel tempted to read it becasue of who wrote it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:53 pm 

I have had the opposite experience. I stumbled upon Conn Iggulden who wrote the Emperor series about Gaius Julius Caesar and enjoyed all four books a great deal. As historical fiction these books bring the players to life yet maintain a well researched historical basis.

After reading this series as well as two other books by the same author, again historical fiction, about Genghis Khan I found that his first work is "A Book for Bad Boys" a novel with no historical content.

I bought the book and I will read it out of curiosity. It may be that his style draws me in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:47 am 

I have, actually. Take J.K. Rowling for instance: She's supposed to be writing some little fiction thing (NOTHING to do with Harry Potter) and it'll be strange reading it because I've grown up reading the Harry Potter series, but chances are quite high I'll end up reading whatever she has out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:46 pm 

im like that with music annoyingly enough and also with books. however, it's not because i know the author's previous work or anything like that. if i start reading a book regardless of author..i hate leaving it unfinished...even if i hate reading it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:43 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I read 'Ideas: A history from Fire to Freud' by Peter Watson, and it was absolutely great.

I learnt so much that I had always wanted to know about the history of the world, civilization, ideas.

And then I bought 'Wisdom and Strength' this book on a painting's journey through 16th - 20th century Venice.
I have never been big on paintings and I don't have too much patience for something that just focuses on the contextual setting around one single thing but I read half of it. Of course, that's the best I could do. But still, that's a lot. :D

And Eternity in an hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:37 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I love art, that acutally sounds like an interesting book, I will have to look into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:44 am 

At me a dilemma between Twilight and the new moon. What it is better?