Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: What is Thanksgiving?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:49 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:20 am
Posts: 42
We need to thank SOMEONE for our life as it is, such as the first ray of morning sunlight, the spotted shade under the lush trees, the convenience or luxury of a hot shower at any time as you need it, enough money to keep your life going in an easy way, enough free time to reflect upon one's life and enhance one's capacity....

Today is Thanksgiving Day. But as the Westerners gave thanks to GOD, which is very natural and necessary in an English culture, thanks in an Oriental Culture often go to a benefactor who helps you a lot, which easily corrupts to a posture of begging for favor and protection.

I believe that all humans need to express gratitude. Are there any cultural differences in this respect?

_________________
A reed is more than a reed when it thinks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:10 am 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 166
Location: my apartment
thinkingreed wrote:
We need to thank SOMEONE for our life as it is, such as the first ray of morning sunlight, the spotted shade under the lush trees, the convenience or luxury of a hot shower at any time as you need it, enough money to keep your life going in an easy way, enough free time to reflect upon one's life and enhance one's capacity....

Today is Thanksgiving Day. But as the Westerners gave thanks to GOD, which is very natural and necessary in an English culture, thanks in an Oriental Culture often go to a benefactor who helps you a lot, which easily corrupts to a posture of begging for favor and protection.

I believe that all humans need to express gratitude. Are there any cultural differences in this respect?


i think the differences might be more personal. like the choice that you even want to give thanks in the first place.

_________________
the hollidays are here Bah Hum Bug!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:58 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:20 am
Posts: 42
Professor Logic wrote:

i think the differences might be more personal. like the choice that you even want to give thanks in the first place.


Hi. professor logic. I am really interested in how people other than me look at Thanksgiving. If you say it is more personally different, then can I have the privilidge to know what you would thank for in the first place?

_________________
A reed is more than a reed when it thinks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:00 pm 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 166
Location: my apartment
thinkingreed wrote:
Professor Logic wrote:

i think the differences might be more personal. like the choice that you even want to give thanks in the first place.


Hi. professor logic. I am really interested in how people other than me look at Thanksgiving. If you say it is more personally different, then can I have the privilidge to know what you would thank for in the first place?

the small pox the white men gave to the indians. if they hadn't,it wouldnt be america.

_________________
the hollidays are here Bah Hum Bug!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:41 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:20 am
Posts: 42
Professor Logic wrote:
the small pox the white men gave to the indians. if they hadn't,it wouldnt be america.


It is really pungent. I do believe that you are too proud of yourself. You have no idea about the limits of mortal life and its sufferings. Otherwise you would feel somehow humble in a way or other.

In addition, the white men did NOT give the
Quote:
small pox
of Thanksgiving to Indians. They took it themselves to shield against the first and all the following harsh winters of North America.

_________________
A reed is more than a reed when it thinks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:39 pm 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 166
Location: my apartment
thinkingreed wrote:
Professor Logic wrote:
the small pox the white men gave to the indians. if they hadn't,it wouldnt be america.


It is really pungent. I do believe that you are too proud of yourself. You have no idea about the limits of mortal life and its sufferings. Otherwise you would feel somehow humble in a way or other.

In addition, the white men did NOT give the
Quote:
small pox
of Thanksgiving to Indians. They took it themselves to shield against the first and all the following harsh winters of North America.

yeah indians got small pox from the small pox pixie. as a matter of fact the white men raped themselves so that they may be shielded from the first and many lonely winters. glad to hear that. i'd be humbled on a holiday that meant more then food,thank you.

_________________
the hollidays are here Bah Hum Bug!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:33 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:20 am
Posts: 42
[quote="Professor Logic yeah indians got small pox from the small pox pixie. as a matter of fact the white men raped themselves so that they may be shielded from the first and many lonely winters. glad to hear that. i'd be humbled on a holiday that meant more then food,thank you.[/quote]

I feel ashamed that I did not understand the phrase "small pox" in the first place, I have mistaken it for a sort of hypnotic pill by thinking that you have misspelled it. I really hate to say, but I DISLIKE the wording of yours.

_________________
A reed is more than a reed when it thinks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:14 pm 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 166
Location: my apartment
thinkingreed wrote:
[quote="Professor Logic yeah indians got small pox from the small pox pixie. as a matter of fact the white men raped themselves so that they may be shielded from the first and many lonely winters. glad to hear that. i'd be humbled on a holiday that meant more then food,thank you.


Quote:
I feel ashamed that I did not understand the phrase "small pox" in the first place, I have mistaken it for a sort of hypnotic pill by thinking that you have misspelled it. I really hate to say, but I DISLIKE the wording of yours.


:wink: well we all have problems we have to deal with,eh?

_________________
the hollidays are here Bah Hum Bug!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:22 am 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:52 pm
Posts: 1744
Location: SEA
personally, i think a grateful heart is the best manifestation of a conscious soul.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:19 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:23 pm
Posts: 31
Location: "VEGAS, BABY, VEGAS!"
Well, even though I'm a little late to post knowing that Thanksgiving is over i'd (LOL) like to give thanks to the Pilgrams for eating turkey instead of 'cat' or else we would have been eating pussy.
LOL, anyways.. (hehehe)yes, i understand what you peeps are trying to say and of course we give thanks to everyday and for every peeps we have come to know and love. Cheesy, but i'm proving a point on why i give thanks in Thanksgiving.

_________________
"Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:13 am 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 166
Location: my apartment
Rubi wrote:
Well, even though I'm a little late to post knowing that Thanksgiving is over i'd (LOL) like to give thanks to the Pilgrams for eating turkey instead of 'cat' or else we would have been eating pussy.


classy.... :roll:
Quote:
LOL, anyways.. (hehehe)yes, i understand what you peeps are trying to say and of course we give thanks to everyday and for every peeps we have come to know and love. Cheesy, but i'm proving a point on why i give thanks in Thanksgiving.


actually you didnt really prove anything. since you do it everyday why would you celebrate thanksgiving?

_________________
the hollidays are here Bah Hum Bug!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:51 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:20 am
Posts: 42
Thanksgiving is in nature an attitude towards life besides being a festival.

One may get ever greedier and more unthankful by the day if he/she does not keep learning or relearning gratitude and being content. In all-swallowing avarice, one may eventually gobble down everything around him/her, and even his own flesh and life, as illustrated in a science fiction where a futuristic individual eats his own flesh beginning from the legs and eventually to his own brain.

_________________
A reed is more than a reed when it thinks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:29 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:23 pm
Posts: 31
Location: "VEGAS, BABY, VEGAS!"
Dear Proffesor Logic,

What i ment by w/e i said, was that i celebrate it to give thanks for everything i have and own and stuff like that... what other explanation is there to give thanks for? I mean, i know there's more than that, like family and stuff, but i'm not gonna be putting it word for word to try to explain on why i give thanks on Thanksgiving... Thanksgiving is more than just feest, and "lets EAT!" Its a chance to be with your family, reunite, etc. (that was my main point) And if you still don't think i proved anything, look it up and see why we, peeps, celebrate it, cuz that's why me and my friends and family mainly celebrate it. And what i ment by giving thanks to everyday was.... okay you never know that oneday your just going to go to sleep and never wake up. I give thanks to god for letting me.., you know what, w/e, just leave it at that. I think you understand, and if not.. O' well. :D

_________________
"Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group