Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:49 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I just watched The Caine Mutiny on television, again. Humphrey Bogart, Mell Ferrer.

In the book, the story is told from Mr. Kiefer's viewpoint. This minor officer had a love interest, a girl who was building a successful career as a stage singer. She was more in love with her career than in Kiefer and resisted Kiefer's proposals of marriage. In the end, she was still resisting him and Kiefer walked away hoping that he would marry her some way. He still hadn't learned a lesson from the Caine Mutiny. He was trying to get something he couldn't have. This sub-plot took up a third of the book and paralled the mutiny situation.

In the movie, there is no mention of the girl's having a career and she wants to marry Kiefer.

In the book, the author had Kiefer thinking that Captain Queeg was a sad little man who was in a job beyond his abilities. Kiefer was thinking this way before the mutiny.

This aspect of the story was toned down in the movie. However, the movie did invent one scene that wasn't in the book. After the Yellowstain incident, Captain Queeg assembled his officers and humbly asked them if anybody had anything to say. They all sat there in stony silence. Merak's defense attorney, Mel Ferrer, later pointed out that if the officers had tried to help the Captain at that moment, the whole mutiny might never have happened.

Great movie. Fabulous acting and themes. If you haven't seen it, rent the movie today.

They haven't made a movie like that in the last fifty years. Why not?

"Help yourself. God will help you" ( Aide toi. Dieu t'aidera. )

--- Joan of Arc

Last edited by joan_of_arc_friend on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:13 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

What on? and would you have them re-make it so they can make another great one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:30 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Being Captain of a ship in wartime is not the only situation in which a person is in a job which is too large for him.

There are many other situations. A general on the battlefield. A company CEO who screws up a formerly successful company and brings it to bankrupcy. The list is endless.

Americans like happy endings to their stories. They want good people to redeem their errors. But in the real world, good people make disastrous mistakes from which they cannot recover.

I'm writing a novel myself. It's science fiction but there are no monsters or anything like that. The situation is something that nobody can be prepared for.
The President makes a preumptive but premature move that almost leads to world catastrophe. He has to resign. But his successor similarly makes another premature move that nearly leads to the end of the world except for a few minutes of fast thinking by the story's hero. Finally, there is one more disastor for which a solution seems impossible.

If they ever make a movie of this the special effects will blow away anything done before.

But that's not the point of the story. It's about what a good and decent person would do with absolute power. We all know what other kinds of people would do.

"Help yourself. God will help you" ( Aide toi. Dieu t'aidera. )

--- Joan of Arc