Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:14 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It is now the five-year anniversary of the fall of the twin towers in New York City. Already the events of the past five years are blurring together in my mind. I can no longer distinguish between the days following the tragedy. But I still remember every second of September 11th 2001. I will always remember how my eighth grade teachers pulled all of our classes into homeroom, sat us down, told us that something very bad had happened, and turned on the TV in time to watch the first tower fall. I remember watching, and the only thought that ran through my head was, ‘Where is my family today?‘ Are they okay? How much will change now? Who would do something like this?
After September 11th our perspective on life changed dramatically. Some wondered how life itself could still go on when so much and so many had been taken from it. However life does still exist- changed, yes, but at least we still have it, unlike so many others who lost their lives on that tragic day, as well as all those who died in the Oklahoma City bombings, and all such events which caused such an early end.
My father is a firefighter and a member of a rescue squad. When he left the house on calls before September 11th, I never realized, in my heart, how much he was risking: his job, his friends, his family, his life. Ever since the Twin Towers fell from the New York skyline, I find myself wondering if his last words will have been ‘see you later’ or ‘good night’ or worse, no words at all; it is a scary thought, and I hope to god that the scenario never comes true.
We see the effects of this tragedy when we travel; in heightened security at airports and train stations, extensive searches (borders and bodies) and the so-called crackdown on drugs and terrorist cells. Whenever some one dies in a train accident or a plane crashes, it is somehow linked to terrorists. I don’t understand the blame; I don’t really want to understand it. What I don’t understand is the fact that none of these measures were taken when Oklahoma City was bombed? All that the terrorists have done is taken the effects of Oklahoma City, twisted them, and put them down in New York City.
Our grief is truly great for all those who have passed, but we must work through it. If we do not we have the scene of people jumping from 100 story buildings, playing on the backs of our eye lids for the whole of eternity.

I first wrote this in eighth grade immediately after the fall of the Twin towers. I revised this this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:16 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

Amen
Yin

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:59 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

'' The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." --- Albert Einstein

' Whenever evil befalls us, we ought to ask ourselves, after the first suffering, how we can turn it into good. So shall we take occasion, from one bitter root, to raise perhaps many flowers. '
Leigh Hunt (1784 - 1859)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:00 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well written. I enjoyed it. I checked up on the Oklahoma city bombings after too, thanks for the education. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:54 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

cdsg23...well all of us understand how tragic was Sept.11th but lets hope for more universal understanding and affection. Hope is our last chance...without hope I guess everything will seem black and gloomy.
"Hope is the parent of faith."
--Cyrus A. Bartol

I do have faith and I do pray not only for the victims of Sept 11th but for all the innocence and victims who sacrificed their lives willingly or unwillingly just to remind us how precious LOVE and HOPE can be.

Libra.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:51 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

cdsg23 wrote:
It is now the five-year anniversary of the fall of the twin towers in New York City. Already the events of the past five years are blurring together in my mind. I can no longer distinguish between the days following the tragedy. But I still remember every second of September 11th 2001. I will always remember how my eighth grade teachers pulled all of our classes into homeroom, sat us down, told us that something very bad had happened, and turned on the TV in time to watch the first tower fall. I remember watching, and the only thought that ran through my head was, ‘Where is my family today?‘ Are they okay? How much will change now? Who would do something like this?
After September 11th our perspective on life changed dramatically. Some wondered how life itself could still go on when so much and so many had been taken from it. However life does still exist- changed, yes, but at least we still have it, unlike so many others who lost their lives on that tragic day, as well as all those who died in the Oklahoma City bombings, and all such events which caused such an early end.
My father is a firefighter and a member of a rescue squad. When he left the house on calls before September 11th, I never realized, in my heart, how much he was risking: his job, his friends, his family, his life. Ever since the Twin Towers fell from the New York skyline, I find myself wondering if his last words will have been ‘see you later’ or ‘good night’ or worse, no words at all; it is a scary thought, and I hope to god that the scenario never comes true.
We see the effects of this tragedy when we travel; in heightened security at airports and train stations, extensive searches (borders and bodies) and the so-called crackdown on drugs and terrorist cells. Whenever some one dies in a train accident or a plane crashes, it is somehow linked to terrorists. I don’t understand the blame; I don’t really want to understand it. What I don’t understand is the fact that none of these measures were taken when Oklahoma City was bombed? All that the terrorists have done is taken the effects of Oklahoma City, twisted them, and put them down in New York City.
Our grief is truly great for all those who have passed, but we must work through it. If we do not we have the scene of people jumping from 100 story buildings, playing on the backs of our eye lids for the whole of eternity.

I first wrote this in eighth grade immediately after the fall of the Twin towers. I revised this this year.

Remember the following question for all your years to come,it will help you greatly in life:

Dont you think its time to, i dont know, get the f--- over it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:49 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Don't say I didn't already call this guy a sensationalistic moron, because I did. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Fish Are Quick wrote:
Don't say I didn't already call this guy a sensationalistic moron, because I did. :D

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:18 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

HEY!!!!

calm down guys, (and i use the term 'guys to refer to you all insulting eachother and fighting) I posted this so people could think about how 9/11 has affected their lives, and so they could air their personal views about this, not so we could all take sides and start calling names. If you feel the need to argue over the particular views of some one, go somewhere else. otherwise, reflect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:31 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

cdsg23,
very well said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:21 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

thank you decent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:46 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yeah serious talking for serious topics....

take care...

Libra.