Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:25 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

what about Freedom. What is it? Does humanity have the power to recognize freedom without ever having been oppressed or made prisoner?
What does Freedom mean to you? What does Freedom mean to your life?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:57 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hello :)

Interesting topic to be discussed, besides it makes me feel FREE to express my ideas about freedom itself :)

Well freedom to me implies many directions... it can be a decent freedom to express you ideas towards opposing views. Freedom is most sensed when a perosn is newly liberated from certain restriction or imprisonment not necessarly material, it can be mental liberation from wrong thoughts or ideas.

Freedom is the source of creation and innovation. You can never be creative unless you have a large scope to run your ideas through it. Freedom implies dignity too. I am free and independant ... these are signs of pride.

Freedom can has its ugly face too, if one misuses it or acts cunningly under the name of freedom as insulting or teasing others taking freedom as a fake shield to whatever he does or says.

I like that topic and am sure gonna add much more.

Thanks .... Libra&free :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:10 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The best freedom is in the mind.

Or... freedom can be getting in trouble for freedom of speech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:17 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The basis of a democratic state is liberty.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Politics

If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other.
Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular.
Adlai E. Stevenson Jr. (1900 - 1965)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
Soren Kierkegaard (1813 - 1855)

The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:52 am 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

if there is no slavery, there will be no freedom, because it wont be needed. i think people doesn't need freedom, the only thing we need is the indepence of our country. if our country is not independent, the freedom will be a nonsense, a think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:48 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hello Tonyukuk:)

Well I appreciate your freedom prespective but I think one can be a slave of himself too... it is all about the inner and outter independence of Man's circumstances and surroundings. One can be a slave to his dull illusions while living in a free country and others can be free liberating an occupied land...it is all about paradox in life and how we regard the true meaning of freedom!

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:34 am 
Philosopher
Philosopher

Tony,
you said it: independance. Why can't WE be independant.. can we be free if we depend on a country, even if it were independant, no. The only true freedom is to depend entirely on oneself, which is impossible..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:17 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Unnil,

Out of interest, why can't we rely upon ourselves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:21 am 
Philosopher
Philosopher

I haven't understood your question

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:45 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
The only true freedom is to depend entirely on oneself, which is impossible..

That's what I interpretted that as? If not, please explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:55 am 
Philosopher
Philosopher

Like I already said it that other topic, we are slaves of our human bodies, physical laws,..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:25 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Let's face it. Freedom is whatever you want it to be. Just like reality. Everyone has their own perceptions and they choose to live with them as long as it makes them happy.

There are billions of people in this world, so you would have many different definitions or views about what freedom is. Some are reminded of it every day because they lack it, while others take it for granted. So maybe it's relative, or maybe it's definitive. If relative, it can get complicated. One man may think that freedom is being able to control the lives of others while another may think that freedom is being able to challenge authority.

In a classroom last week I was told by the professor that freedom is money. I think there is a lot of truth to that. But that would mean it's impossible for everyone to have absolute freedom, but like I said earlier, it can be whatever one wants it to be.

But just to say that freedom is money seems like a materialistic approach, because if freedom is money then freedom is power. I don't really know. Can you have power without money or control of others?

I know for sure one year ago freedom was being able walk out of a town that no longer operated. Unfortunately, those people weren't granted that freedom, and some of them died because of it. So freedoms, projected from someone else, can have you by the gonads.

I remember some time last year we had the same exact topic going and it turned out to be a discussion about anarchy. Maybe this time we can continue from there even though I don't really know what anarchy is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:57 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

rainingtwain,

Quote:
Let's face it. Freedom is whatever you want it to be. Just like reality.

Reality isn't whatever you want it to be unless you're a solipsistic headcase.

Quote:
There are billions of people in this world, so you would have many different definitions or views about what freedom is. Some are reminded of it every day because they lack it, while others take it for granted. So maybe it's relative, or maybe it's definitive. If relative, it can get complicated. One man may think that freedom is being able to control the lives of others while another may think that freedom is being able to challenge authority.

That's just semantics. Freedom is definitive. Man's right to life is the ultimate freedom and all such legislated freedoms are corollaries. 'Freedom to control the lives of others' is power, not freedom.

Quote:
In a classroom last week I was told by the professor that freedom is money. I think there is a lot of truth to that. But that would mean it's impossible for everyone to have absolute freedom, but like I said earlier, it can be whatever one wants it to be.

Freedom depends more upon the state under which you live rather than the money you possess- look at the Russian billionaires who were imprisoned by their government.

If you want to talk about anarchy I'm happy with that, but I'd suggest opening another thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:33 am 

There's a thing line between freedom of speach and disrespect!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:34 am 

there's a thin line between freedom of speach and disrespect!