Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I guess we've all gotten hold of a book that looked like it
was promising, but turned out to be a really bad read.

For me it was David Eddings' series about Sparhawk. It was
bestselling fantasy, but really predictable, with a hero that
was almost godlike after awhile, and egotistical. Very
disappointing. I didn't read another book by him.

Mahatma Ghandi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:53 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I would have to say Lord Jim by Joespeh Conrad, it was just horrible trying to read, it really was not written well I did not think and it was difficult to follow what was going on, and I could not take it I ended up just giving up on it and that book made me not want to attempt to read anything else by that author

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:00 pm 
Zen Rebel
Zen Rebel

The Eagle's Gift by Carlos Castaneda. A singularly boring and tedious piece of literature.

che

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:09 pm 

As crazy as it sounds Frankenstein by Mary Shelley just because I couldn't get past the first chapter or two because it was SO boring.

And Dracula by Bram Stoker was confusing and hard to understand, which made it boring. Hopefully I can pick Dracula back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:55 pm 

There are just some books I have a problem reading. Like it took me forever to actually get into Ella Enchanted, probably because it was made for a younger crowd. Not a book I was used to, but once I got half way through it I couldn't put it down.

The one book I will never read again, or any book by its author is "The Ice Limit" by: Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It was well written, but left you dissapointed at every turn. That and I absolutely hated the ending. That can really put you off a story.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:28 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

A Million Little Pieces for me. I couldn't stand the way it was written. It tried to be too different and instead it was too awful. And right off the bat I couldn't stand imagining somebody with a hole in their cheek covered in their own blood, spit, and urine. If anyone started reading this I suggest you put it down and try The Contortionist's Handbook by Craig Clevenger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:05 am 

how do i set a darn avatar on this board? i'd like to put up a picture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:46 pm 

Any by David Lodge.
And you may be wondering why do I dare read anything by him?
The thing is I'm studying to be an English Teacher (I'm not a native speaker) and my professors insit on we reading Lodge.
So, ANY book you may come across with by Lodge, forget it. Run away as quickly as you can!!

BTW, just two days ago, but 55 years ago, the first edition of The Catcher in the Rye saw the light.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:25 pm 

suzanne wrote:
For me it was David Eddings' series about Sparhawk. It was
bestselling fantasy, but really predictable, with a hero that
was almost godlike after awhile, and egotistical. Very
disappointing. I didn't read another book by him.

I feel you on that. I fell in love with Eddings in primary/middle school, mainly the Belgariad and related books. I mist have read them over and over a dozen times! But when I turned to his other stuff, the Sparhawk ones (those are the Elenium and such ones, right? It's been a good few years) and Althalus I read them all but really disliked them. It seemed to me he was just recycling the characters, plotlines, settings, and jokes from the Belgariad I had so loved. I think that if you're into that kind of literature, namely fantasy set in medieval-like imaginary worlds, you might love the first book/series you read but after a while you get bored of it.

Anyway, in answer you your question about books I've never managed to finish, there are too many for my liking. I'm one of those people that will just pick up a new book that they find interesting and forget about the book they were reading in the first place ... And do the same with the new book. For one I've never managed a Dickens novel. I feel like it's a major hole in my well-read-ness (or whatever :P) but they're just so BORING :D I can see why they're an important part of the English literary corpus yadda yadda but I just don't think they work that well as novels, since they were originally written in a serial form for newspaper publication. This summer, however, I will try and read Great Expectations because I've been told that that's by far his best and that it's that novel that really made his reputation. (How does everyone here feel about that, by the way?)

Another book I've started a million times is Ulysses. I'm still determined to read it, it being the semnal piece of novel literature of the twentieth century, but's pretty damn laborous. And my third project for the summer is Crime and Punishment. I haven't read much Russian literature at all, bar a couple of Chekov's plays and a short (thank god they do those too, Russians :P) novel by Turgenev, The Diary of a Superfluous Man.

Other books I've never finished would include for example Catch-22 by Heller, Beloved by Morrison, East of Eden by Steinbeck, Tom Jones by Fielding ... And the list goes on.

As for books I wish I'd never read: Choke by Palahnuk. That was a big load of bolocks. I have loads of firends who love the guy and I'm sure many of you like him too but for me the book had no conceivable plot, the characters were thin as paper, there was no point to the book, apart from the obviously forced attempt at shock value for it's own sake. But don't get me on that, I could trash that book endlessly!

A couple of others (and I know I'll have loads of people telling me they loved these books and that they're great pieces of literature but I don't mind, the beauty of literature is that it divides opinions, that's why it's soo cool to discuss it) incluide Catcher in the Rye (yes, I did hate that book), and One Hundred Years of Solitude, and to an extent Farenheit 451. The last three I'm happy to have read though, because they are so important, but I really didn't enjoy them one bit.

Anyway, sorry for the over-long post, I'm just happy to have re-discovered this place and again to have a little place to rant about books!

N x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:57 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
As crazy as it sounds Frankenstein by Mary Shelley just because I couldn't get past the first chapter or two because it was SO boring.

And Dracula by Bram Stoker was confusing and hard to understand, which made it boring. Hopefully I can pick Dracula back up.

I really enjoyed Frankenstien, but I could not really get that into it Bram Stroker, and I tried because I am usually really into the Vamprie thing, but it just did not do it for me.

I attempted to read the Harry Potter sieries because my sister tried to get me into it becasue she started reading them, but somewhere in the middle of book 3 I set it aside and just never got back to trying to continue again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:08 am 

You know...thats book up above is the only book I would never pick up and never read again out of all the books I've read.

Nadabi,
I liked Great Expectations, but it was somewhat boring. There was a lot behind it though, and some great lessons. Even though it was boring, I'm glad I read it now, even though I complained about reading it in school. I'm actually thinking of picking my own copy back up and reading it again. So despite its boringness...I suggest you read it, and push yourself through it.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:30 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I so agree with you about Eddings. I did enjoy Polgara the Sorceress
but I wondered why the hero Sparhawk never got wounded once.
He became almost godlike after awhile.

I guess I just can't get into some classics. I was so bored with the
19th century style of long, drawn out descriptions and wordyness
that I put more than one aside for good. One was Adam Bede,
I think, then there was Great Expectations and so many others.

Mahatma Ghandi

Post subject: Warrant vs. Stowe
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:29 pm 

Um, mine is (don't hate me!) is Uncle Tom's Cabin. It's a great SONG by Warrant, and being the moron I am (feel free to agree), I thought that the book had something to do with the lyrics, and it is a great song. So, about five chapters in I throw the book down and angrily growl that there is no well or Deputy Heck...*whines* and the slang....the horrid...horrible slang... Even though I respect why the book was written, I found it a waste of time and precious brain cells. :mrgreen: No offense to anyone out there, and with all due respect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:54 am 

Deleted

Last edited by gilgalad1710 on Sat May 07, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:19 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The Coming of the King by Nikolai Tolstoy

Book on the tale of King Arthur from Merlin's point of view? Worked well enough for Mary Stewart.

Written by Nikolai Tolstoy. A living breathing member of the Tolstoy lineage? Where do I get my hands on this?

It was bad enough that I didn't finish it and I usually claim to be willing to read ANYTHING.