Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: shel and hook
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:40 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

have any of you read the shel sliverstein books of poetry they're WONDERFUL!!!! if you haven't read it, you should, no, you have to. but as wonderful as all his poetry is, you have to know something about shel sliverstein. he wrote songs too. from the man who came "all the woulda-coulda-shouldas sitting in the sun, thinking about all the things they woulda-coulda-shoulda done. and all the woulda-coulda-shouldas ran and hid from one little did" also came from the man who wrote "Pass that roach please and pour the wine I'll kiss yours if you'll kiss mine I'm gonna boogie till I go blind We're freakin at the freakers ball White ones, black ones, yellow ones, red ones Necrophiliacs looking for dead ones The greatest of the sadist and the masochists too Screaming "Please hit me, and I'll hit you."
perhaps it was my mother introducing me to both of them individuaually and then telling me later that the guy who wrote them were the same person. *shurgs* i don't know. but you got to love a guy that writes children's poetry and songs for dr. hook. lol.

when i was in elementary school shel sliverstein was banned from my school. it wasn't that they found out that he wrote songs for dr. hook it was a poem in one of his books. the poem was about a little girl that loved this horse that she saw riding from something. she asked her parents for it, begged her parents for it and they refused to get it for her and she locked herself in her room and refused to come out and refused to eat and if i remember correctly she died in her room. and then poem got shel ran out of my school. my teacher loved reading the books to us and hated the idea of "banned" books. so every friday she snook her copies of the books in and read them to us anyway.

"In my time, nightmares walked among us, skewering victims in plain sight...This to make us laugh. And now nightmares are trapped inside the heads of humans...I wonder whom they angered so to merit such a fate?"