Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Tolkein
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:05 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

A lot of people will probaly think this is near blasphomy in the fantasy world, but I cannot help it, and I am currious if anyone else feels the way I do. I know that a friend of mine who I discussed it with agrees with me, so I was currious what others thought.

All I have ever heard was how great Tokein was, and so I started reading his books, and I must say his writing style just does not jive with me. His books do not capture my attention or draw me in or spark any great intrest or sense of awe. Perosnally I find his character developement to be weak. Sometimes it feels as if he pays more detail to discussing the landscape then the characters, and maybe it is just me but sometimes I find it difficult to follow just what is going on. His writing feels almost dry to me. I have to say this is one case where I think that the movie Lord of the Rings, was in fact better then the books

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 am 

Hmm... that's interesting. I'm with you up to a point. I think Tolkien was good... but I'm not too keen on his stuff. I read LOTR and saw the movies.

I'm not a big fan of all that Romantic, king arthur-y style stuff...

The thing about the characters is that they probably are a little weak in places, but it still makes a gripping read and gets the reader involved with their plight. He does go on about the scenery, but I think it's integral to the whole feel of the novels... it's about a different type of world... (a rather medieval one.. but still). It's in direct contrast to the time he was living in... with all the industry and new technology and can kinda be seen as a fight against it... harking back to purer times perhaps?

I almost feel the Hobbit is better than the trilogy... but it's been a while since I read it!

As for the movies... yeah,I enjoyed them too. But like the books... never gonna be a total masterpiece as it doesn't have enough depth for my liking. Yeah, Tolkien#s work does raise important questions about the human condition, but I find it a bit redundant. But the novels are mostly harmless.