Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:19 pm 

I watched all of the movies and they are very different from the book. I can't stand when movies mess up the book. My friends and I had a disscussion about hidden clues about what is going to happen next. And I just wanted to see what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:44 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

well... i'm convinced that dumbledore was not pleading for his life to be spared at the end of the last book... i believe he was pleading for snape to kill him. otherwise snape would have died, and i believe that harry is going to have to use snape to get close enough to voldemort to kill him. i also think that harry and draco malfoy will team up to fight voldemort. my reasoning is that malfoy's father's life was threatened by voldemort if draco couldn't kill dumbledore, and i think draco would be pretty pissed about all that. also, i remember reading harry say that he wouldn't return to hogwarts to learn anymore... knowing rowling, this wording could mean that he will go to hogwarts to teach defence of the dark arts next year, and because no one yet has lasted for more than one year, perhaps harry will die in an epic duel with voldemort, during which he kill voldemort, but is mortally wounded by some unheard of spell. Also... about the horcrux's... my english teacher reread the fifth book, and found a locket that couldn't be opened was found in the Black family manor, and at the end of the sixth book, it is mentioned that there was a horcrux probably stored with the black family (or something to that effect... sorry i don't have pagenumbers, i came to these conclusions at the beginning of september, so i don't really recall everything exactly) Hope that was helpful, lol. well, that's what i think is gonna happen next... more or less. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:34 pm 

If JK Rowling considers stealing plot details from JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis like she has, then in the next book Dumbledore will probably be resurrected as Dumbledore the White, and the same thing will happen to the main characters as happened to those of the Narnia books in The Last Battle (I won't say what that is in case you haven't read it.)

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm mad that the Harry Potter books are so damned popular, even though there are so much more original and better written fantasy books out there. Rowling is still writing them like childrens' books, even though they've obviously progressed to the point where I wouldn't let any child under the age of nine read it, based on the content. There's romance and stuff in there. Poorly written romance. Romance that is taking up as much, if not more, of the books as the fantasy part.

Pardon me; I like to go on crazy rants sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:34 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-voltare

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:21 pm 

I agree with what Drister said, I don't think Dumbeldore was pleading for his life, I think that he anted Snape to kill him. And I strongley disagree 13ecca7 there is no way that JK Rowlings' was stealing plot ideas. I believe that JRR Toilken books where good but it didnt have any romance at all to keep me insterested enough to want to finish the book in a week. I think that you have to put a little romance in a book for a girl to stay interested. And the thing about Dumbeldore coming back as Dumbledore the white is so stupid. I also believe that she doesnt want to put to much romance in there because that is not what the book is about. But putting a little bit in there keeps some people interested. So I strongly disagree with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:22 pm 

I think he wanted snape to kill him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:26 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

i don't think dumbledore is going to come back at all. if you look at examples of death throughout the series, rowling sets death up as something that is not definate. the gap between the living and the dead is one that seems infinate, but one that various characters have bridged time and time again. she sets death up as almost a positive thing. think of the moving photographs, that magical mirror thing, the castle ghosts, harry's patronus, voldemort, wormtail (it's a stretch, but technically...). all these represents seemingly-dead characters who are resurected in some way.

it's why i really believe harry is going to die in the end. because she can make it happy so all the seven year olds who read it won't cry

-j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:35 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It seems (and this is just gossip from gossip from gossip)
the last line of the book goes "And Harry realized that Voldemort and his scar were gone forever"

Unless realizing is sth you can do while in the grave, Harry doesn't die.

And Eternity in an hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:07 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well, i recall back when her third book was coming out, she gave an interview where one person asked why she was stopping at seven books, and wasn't going to continue to write about the rest of Harry's life. Her response was "you seem pretty sure Harry's going to survive..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:10 am 

Didn't they say that the person who fights Voldemort is supposed to die? I mean it doesn't mean that they will, but they should. Now if you go to http://www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com/ they say that perhaps that body of was a fake, and all this is a set up. Really though, I dunno. Rowling may try to throw us off with some "Then the space ship lands" or "Then Harry woke up" kind of thing.

Quote:
Dumbledore will probably be resurrected as Dumbledore the White

You win the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:47 pm 

DCGurl, you say that Tolkien didn't put any romance into his books. That is wrong. You also say that girls need some amount of romance to keep them interested in a book. Also wrong- I am a girl, and I have read and enjoyed many many books without the slightest hint of romance. But you are entitled to your opinion.

Post subject: k
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:08 pm 

I like Tolkien and I read the books they were okay. But it is not really my type of book. But your entitled to your opinion too.