Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:08 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Jeff589 wrote:
Tom5030

A point that the Professor alluded to in your debate regarding love that I think would have helped if it was fully explained/explored is that there is a philosophical argument that there is no such thing as altruism, that everything done is done for the benefit of one's self.

Example:
Person A loves person B and performs a "self sacrificing" act for person B
(this is not a novel, I don't have to provide a storyline)
Most would agree that person A did this because s/he loves person B
This philisophical platform would insist that A's actions were performed because they made A feel good and that was their reward.

This argument applies to interpersonal love as well as brotherly love (the money/food to kids in Africa example)

And before everyone rails at me, I'm not validating nor denegrating this philisophical argument, merely trying to facilitate the discussion.

And Professor, if none of this coincides with what you were trying to convey, then you're on your own here.

thats exactly what im trying to say

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:44 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Holy Crap... I had NOOOO idea this discussion had started from my "Poem". Thanks for the positive feedback people.

As for love. I believe in its positive ways. Love can easily be broken down into chemical compounds and brain waves and such. As easily as someone believes in hate, I believe in Love and it's powers.

Without structure, there would be no DNA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:35 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

If any one has read it, Carolyn Forché poem 'The Colonel' has similar structure to this poem, and has had quite a bit of attention. Poems can have different structures just like different ways of rhyming.

The poem was quite good though. Quite personal and emotional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:15 am 

Professor,
I know everyone has flaws. I hold nothing of your beliefs against you. I have my own faults that could seem absurd to people in here also.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:34 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I think we all have those kinds of flaws. Welcome to the human race, eh?

In the world of knowledge the idea of Good appears last of all and is seen only with an effort. When seen it is to be the Universal Author of things Beautiful and Right, parent and Lord of Light, and the source of Reason and Truth in the Intellectual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:20 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hey Professor, How would the world benefit from your logic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:40 pm 

Its making us think.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:59 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It does make us think. For me, Prof. gave me a different perspective. I didn't agree with it, really, but I still got to see what another person's views.

In the world of knowledge the idea of Good appears last of all and is seen only with an effort. When seen it is to be the Universal Author of things Beautiful and Right, parent and Lord of Light, and the source of Reason and Truth in the Intellectual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:12 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

It's the balance. Most people here are governed majorly by their emotions, and a little logic. The prof is governed by logic and a little emotion. He is our balance. Strange how the forum seemed so chaotic when this balance was first introduced, but now we are all very peaceful and all is as it should be once again.
Yin

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:12 pm 
Philosopher
Philosopher

Nope I don't agree there, I think you can't put emotions vs logic in your balance, because I believe emotions are caused by some form of logic, the logic of conditioning and experiences, I quote myself

Unnil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:50 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I was reading some science magazine and they found out recently that all of the decision making is directly linked to emotions in the brain. So what we deem as "logic" is really our emotions sorting themselves out. But, then again, Logic is also also be the antonym for irrationality. Irrationality is emotions out of check. Or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:06 pm 

Wierd! Its convincing. When you put it that way it makes sense. I don't know. I guess I always put emotions to the soul, and reasoning and logic to the brain. I never really wanted to combine the two.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:23 am 
Philosopher
Philosopher

Combine everything.. that is logic
Logic is a philosophy by itself

Unnil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:00 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Tushkahill wrote:
Hey Professor, How would the world benefit from your logic?

I'm not concerned about the rest of the world. I benefit from my logic and thats enough.
By the way after giving thought to my user name I had to laugh. Its taken as meaning proffesor of logic when of course that is illogical.
when someone calls themselves professor they use thier last name not the name of the subject they teach.Thusly making Professor Logic mean that my name was ______ Logic not that I used logic. Of course it despite its stupidity i take it to mean the same as everyone else foes but I just thought i'd ramble a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:01 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Unnil wrote:
Combine everything.. that is logic
Logic is a philosophy by itself

Unnil
in my opinion logic is being able to think outsife the box while your feet are planted firmly on the ground.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next