Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:09 pm 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:28 am
Posts: 4297
Tom,
That's right. OCD is obsessive need of structure. I used to have a close friend who had this condition. (I ended up marrying him, actually). At first he didn't have it too bad and I just thought that he was becoming a bit uptight and eccentric. Eventually, though, his condition got so bad that it took him forever to get ready in the morning to leave for work as he had so many things that needed to be checked out such as lights, doorknobs, etc. Anything that is not structured really bothers someone with OCD. They also tend to be very self centered and not in tune to the feelings of other people. I can spot someone with OCD, even in its milder forms, fairly quickly now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:30 pm 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:28 pm
Posts: 806
Location: Indiana, USA
Heh, sounds kind of like Jack Nicholson in "As Good As It Gets". :P

And, I'm sorry, maybe I didn't understand your point, but that just contradicted:

Quote:
Those who suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder need structure in their lives. They can't help it.

_________________
In the world of knowledge the idea of Good appears last of all and is seen only with an effort. When seen it is to be the Universal Author of things Beautiful and Right, parent and Lord of Light, and the source of Reason and Truth in the Intellectual.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:11 pm 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:28 am
Posts: 4297
Tom, I've seen that movie and his character is not even an exaggeration. In what way is what I said a contradiction?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:25 pm 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:28 pm
Posts: 806
Location: Indiana, USA
Nevermind, I understand now. When you said that people with OCD need structure, I thought you meant that they need structure to cure their OCD.

_________________
In the world of knowledge the idea of Good appears last of all and is seen only with an effort. When seen it is to be the Universal Author of things Beautiful and Right, parent and Lord of Light, and the source of Reason and Truth in the Intellectual.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:36 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:18 pm
Posts: 3409
Location: Wisconsin
hahahaha...wow needed a sh-- eating grin on my face today. No sh-- eating was apart of that though mind you! :lol:

My best friend has diagnosed herself with this I think. I'm not sure if this is the right disorder or not, but it sounds like what she explained. She said that I fell into the same category. I'm not very bad, but I have this need to check everything like 15 times over before I believe that it is where it should be and how it should be. As for the self-centered thing...I "try" to be. I think you have witnessed this with me before Anajo. I'm one of those quilt ridden people that tries to be selfish when I get the urge, but then is either overcome by guilt or makes a fool of myself both ways. Sometimes we all need to be selfish, I just lack the knowledge of how to be most of the time.

Raven

_________________
"You must learn there is a time to speak all of the truth, and a time to govern your tongue."
~Verin (The Wheel of Time)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:02 am 
Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:04 am
Posts: 958
Location: Belgium
Professor Logic,
I think I agree with what you are saying. Like Jeff mentioned, and myself in another topic, most people are conditioned from their birth on: they experience, feel and learn things that lead to a specific morality. When they respect this they feel good, satisfied because they deeply believe it is the right thing to do. Love is no different, a moral impression you experience through life, it melts together with other feelings to give birth to your morality. This is why the conceptions of love differ and this reasoning proves that love is something you experience and accept morally, nothing concrete however, nothing floating in the air, something not everyone can acquire and something useless if most people hadn't accepted it in their morality.

Unnil

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:52 am 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:28 am
Posts: 4297
Raven,
You are definitely not a selfish person. As to whether or not you have OCD, I don't know. A lot of people check things, so don't be too quick to diagnose yourself with this condition. When you leave the house, do you turn the doorknob about 15 times, then leave, then decide to return and check the doorknob again, messing with it? Do you turn the light on, then turn it off, then on again, say about 15 times? Do you hoard things?
Anajo

I now live with a man (not the OCD guy) who is definitely not selfish. If you've never known such a person, you may think that everyone is selfish. If you have never experienced true love, you may think that it is an illusion. It is not. Allowing bad experiences in life to turn you into a bitter person will end up being a self-fulfilling prophesy because good people will avoid you and only other negative cynics will want to associate with you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:59 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:09 am
Posts: 44
Location: The trees...where else?
Okay, yeah your probably right Anajo. Its when you start reading all those psychology books that you start to think that you could be diagnosed with like ten disorders. One reason why I do not like most psychologists. No matter what, they can always find something wrong with you. Kind of makes me cringe to think that my best friend is going into to get her masters in it.

By the way everyone, I have two different sign in names. Nahwatah Ravenheart and this one. I figured since I left off at over 3,000 posts on that one I would switch to my other for awhile.

Raven

_________________
“The stars will sing a saddened song of dread as the tears pour freely from the sky”
~Unknown


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:32 am 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:28 pm
Posts: 806
Location: Indiana, USA
It's cool. What does it mean?

_________________
In the world of knowledge the idea of Good appears last of all and is seen only with an effort. When seen it is to be the Universal Author of things Beautiful and Right, parent and Lord of Light, and the source of Reason and Truth in the Intellectual.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:39 pm 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:28 am
Posts: 4297
Unnil wrote:
Professor Logic,
I think I agree with what you are saying. Like Jeff mentioned, and myself in another topic, most people are conditioned from their birth on: they experience, feel and learn things that lead to a specific morality. When they respect this they feel good, satisfied because they deeply believe it is the right thing to do. Love is no different, a moral impression you experience through life, it melts together with other feelings to give birth to your morality. This is why the conceptions of love differ and this reasoning proves that love is something you experience and accept morally, nothing concrete however, nothing floating in the air, something not everyone can acquire and something useless if most people hadn't accepted it in their morality.

Unnil


I am frankly blown away by this description of love. It lacks poetry and beauty. It is too mechanical for my taste. But hey, to each their own. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:46 pm 
Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:04 am
Posts: 958
Location: Belgium
Of course, because something tells you love is associated with beauty and poetry.. and that something is your morality.
And that we don't often agree on things :)

Unnil

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:37 pm 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:28 am
Posts: 4297
Unnil wrote:
Of course, because something tells you love is associated with beauty and poetry.. and that something is your morality.
And that we don't often agree on things :)

Unnil


I assure you that morality has nothing to do with the attraction that I feel towards my fair fellow.

Alas, I agree that we have finally hit upon something with which we agree, which is that we don't often agree on most matters. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:48 am 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 166
Location: my apartment
Jeff589 wrote:
Professor Logic

Leaving aside the discussion of love for the moment, would like to submit an argument based on each the following

Quote:
you've got me mistaken.
i like beauty,but only if its real,
like a candle in the wind
or the shape of the wheel.


Beauty, to cite a trite phrase, is in the eye of the beholder. It is a term used to describe a perception, and therefore can never be real, only relative.

Quote:
structure is everything.
we just dont have enough


Structure has a couple of meanings that I can think of and I am not sure which you intended.

Structure as the way in which animals organize themselves and their surroundings in order to control the world around them. If this is what you meant in saying that we don't have enough, then fascism's for you, good buddy.

Structure as the way in which humans categorize the world around them in order to better be able to understand it. If this is what you meant, then I agree that we don't have enough, but I will say that it is getting better almost every day.

Quote:
i do not,however assioate anything human with beauty.
humans are filthy digusting creatures of habit.


"like a candle in the wind or the shape of the wheel," both of which are inherently associated with humans. Neither exists anywhere in nature unto themselves.

yes i know they dont exist without the influence of humans.
but its not the human that made them that i care about,its the thing itself
ugly things can make nice things,
i'll take whatever condradiction that statement brings

_________________
the hollidays are here Bah Hum Bug!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:52 am 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 166
Location: my apartment
Anajo wrote:
Sometimes a young person who lacks wisdom will use cynicism as a way to cover up their ignorance. Cynicism is a sort of self-imposed blindness.
Those who suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder need structure in their lives. They can't help it.


that was insulting.
then what is optimism?
i hope that your not trying to imply that i have OCD.

_________________
the hollidays are here Bah Hum Bug!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:58 am 
Offline
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 166
Location: my apartment
Nahwatah Ravenheart wrote:
Professor,
You have me confused about what you have said. First you say that you do not believe in love. That it is overated, and that anyone who feels love is foolish and only doing it for reasons of the self. Then you say that you have loved, and do love people, but know that it is foolish. Even though you know, you must not have realized your own notions then. knowing and understanding are very different from realizing. If you would have realized, then you wouldn't love anyone. Hence, you are a contradiction to yourself. Not saying that is a bad thing. Everyone in life is a contradiction.

Raven


i do realize it.
i've come to terms with the fact that im a foolish contradiction.
and negative and extremly hateful towards humanity.
hey,everyones got their faults

_________________
the hollidays are here Bah Hum Bug!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group